• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Higher-Dimensional Physiology and Hax

Jinsye

She/Her
Alright so, this has gotten me way too many conflicting opinions.

If you have Higher-Dimensional Existence, do we automatically assume your abilities also scale to your higher-dimensionality?

I'll delve into each side.

Yes. It should.
The reasons why for this side, is that it would make absolutely no sense for a higher-dimensional being to only be able to affect someone infinitely weaker than them with their abilities. If they are transcendent of a lower plane, logically, their abilities should also be transcendent of said lower plane as well.

I'm personally on this side.

No. It shouldn't
The reasons for this side is that they haven't explicitly shown to affect beings on their level. We can't assume they can affect a comparable existence without proof they can do so, thus they can only affect lower existences with their abilities

Think of it like an author writing a story in a book. They are transcendent over the fictional world of the book, but they can't rewrite the plot of real life.

Conclusions
Which is it? I'm confused because of the opinions are annoyingly conflicting and we need one definitive answer.

It should be noted that, this only affects HIGHER-DIMENSIONAL beings. Not 3-D beings with extradimensional power.

Gonna keep a count

Yes. It Should: Edwardtruong2006

No. It Shouldn't: ZacharyGrossman273, Saikou The Lewd King, DontTalkDT, Moritzva, Ogbunabali

We should not assume the potency of hax scales to one's physical dimensionality if we haven't been proven it can. If the being has only shown hax on lower beings, it already puts into question whether this would be useable against bengs on their level.

Essentially, assuming that all abilities of a character MUST be on part with their physicality is an assumption with no real basis.

I'm with "No. It shouldn't". We have not just many Higher D characters whichs abilities come from a weaker version of themself, but some even inherit abilities from other characters or general species properties for various reasons.

That those get infinitely better just due to the characters body changing its dimensionality is not a given to me.

It's especially bad when they're the only character on that level. They would never need to use their abilities on their level, nor would they be able to. So why randomly assume they can?

This just seems to stem from the silly idea that every character with abilities must be a combat-centric entity that would obviously use their skills in combat. Even though that's rarely the case.

"Think of it like an author writing a story in a book. They are transcendent over the fictional world of the book, but they can't rewrite the plot of real life."

This is more or less where I stand, as per the OP.

If a higher dimensional being has been shown to have great power over lower dimensional beings, just because they are higher dimensional. Then I think it's reasonable to assume that they can't do the same thing to other beings of the same dimensionality.

Although if a higher dimensional being has their own inherent abilities, but has also only been shown interacting with lower dimensional beings, I think in this case it's not unreasonable to assume that their powers can work on other same dimensional beings.

I can maybe somewhat let it pass if the character has shown abilities that work on beings on their level and it just so happens that some of their abilities were only used on 3-D beings.

But not in other cases.

I'm not with it even if the character has shown some abilities to work on that level.

Say all vampires in a verse can hypnotize people with their eyes. And one vampire is tier 1 and has this ability only due to being a vampire, without feats of using it on another tier 1.

I see no reason why its version of that ability would be vastly superior to the standard vampire version, if it basically is the standard vampire version. Even if said vampire can fight other tier 1 using different abilities.

I don't think that's what Saikou was saying?

Like say if a character has feats of their conceptual manipulation working on higher-dimensional beings. They also have law manip which hasn't been demonstrated to work on higher-dimensional beings because it's not shown.

It'd be fine to assume that the law manip would work on comparable beings, is what he was saying.

Fair play.

But if that vampire is tier 1 physically and doesn't just have tier 1 AP, I wouldn't necessarily mind if we assume it can work on other tier 1s.

But I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

DontTalkDT said:
I'm not with it even if the character has shown some abilities to work on that level.

Say all vampires in a verse can hypnotize people with their eyes. And one vampire is tier 1 and has this ability only due to being a vampire, without feats of using it on another tier 1.

I see no reason why its version of that ability would be vastly superior to the standard vampire version, if it basically is the standard vampire version. Even if said vampire can fight other tier 1 using different abilities.
Well it seems rather odd that some of their abilities would just be arbitrarily incomparably weaker than others like this. I think it's one thing if they're just harassing low dudes, but if they're interacting with people on their level with their stuff I'd assume that their abilities from the same stuff are going to work.

Tbf i don't know how I would feel about this.

• I'm 1-B
  • But you don't have feats so you're 3D in hax
  • But I'm 1-B
i don't know it just feels silly. But probs best to be treated on a case by case basis.

Wokistan said:
Well it seems rather odd that some of their abilities would just be arbitrarily incomparably weaker than others like this. I think it's one thing if they're just harassing low dudes, but if they're interacting with people on their level with their stuff I'd assume that their abilities from the same stuff are going to work.
Why, though? The ability is for all purposes a copy of an ability that isn't that powerful.

One could even assume that the character didn't demonstrate using that particular ability against other Tier 1 beings it fights because it isn't going to work.

Because it's just their own innate qualities, and I don't see why their own qualities are going to be separate from their physicality. This seems like taking statement based abilities and assuming they're 2D by default for 3D characters if they're not directly used.

Wokistan said:
Because it's just their own innate qualities, and I don't see why their own qualities are going to be separate from their physicality. This seems like taking statement based abilities and assuming they're 2D by default for 3D characters if they're not directly used.
Difference is that things either inherit the abilities from 3-D characters or that they are usually 3-D by nature (there usually exists no 2-D water for instance). If a character has fire manipulation inherited from their 2-D self I would argue that they can't necessarily use that on 3-D level either.

Actually, plot manipulaton users are a good example of how a character that can fight people on its level can't necessarily do so via plot manipulation: Say a plot manipulator sees the universe as a story written on a piece of paper. Then it can simply rewrite the universe with a pen. If it now fights another character that sees the universe as paper, the character can't view the other character as story on a paper and can therefore not rewrite them the way it does lower beings. So it has no other choice than to fist fight without its plot manipulation.

However, another plot manipulator of the same tier might be able to rewrite the plot even on the level they are fighting at. That would need plot manipulation of a higher level, though.

What do you mean by "inherited" though? Not all the higher D people are former lower D things. What of people who are just as naturally >3D as we're naturally 3D?

This seems both

• Rather specific to plot manip
  • A thing that's pretty clear within the verse, and not really needing any assumption
which doesn't seem like the most applicable example.

I more or less agree with Saikou and Ogbunabali. Haxxing lower-dimensional beings doesn't mean you can hax beings on your level unless it's shown to.

Wokistan said:
What do you mean by "inherited" though? Not all the higher D people are former lower D things. What of people who are just as naturally >3D as we're naturally 3D?
This seems both

• Rather specific to plot manip
  • A thing that's pretty clear within the verse, and not really needing any assumption
which doesn't seem like the most applicable example.
What I mean by inherited is something like the vampire examples. Abilities that characters have, because they qualify for having the 3-D versions. Or also direct copies of 3D abilities that other characters possess (often found in RPGs).

It's an example that demonstrates that the rule of "being fighting other higher D beings have all their hax on their level" doesn't hold. One can further this example by looking at any other godly power over a world one transcends. I find it quite natural that a god would have greater powers over its own creation than over other things.

For characters naturally >3D the same applies for the most part. If you can make an argument that by their nature it only makes sense for their abilities to be on the scale it's ok with me. However, that is by far the exception.

Unless there's proof, no, we shouldn't assume that their abilities scale to their dimensionality.

Back