• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Help needed with The Dark Tower revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
One layer in an outerversal hierarchy is equivalent to a single reality-fiction difference between them. Meaning, he should have to transcend an infinite number of them to even be 1-A+, as far as I am aware.

Alrighty, I will shore up my understanding of the Tiering System in general and tackle Gan's tiering next. I suppose I'll have to ask you to wait and hope the Crimson King CRT bides the wiki over for now on The Dark Tower

Okay. Thank you for the help.

Antvasima said:
Should Gan still be tier 0? Our standards for this have turned much harder to fulfill.
By the standards currently being used, most everything in Tier 0 doesn't deserve the position. Arguing for whether Gan deserves said position or otherwise trying to determine that, would require a whole thread all its own.

This thread was intended for that.

Please see the first post.

Xulrev is supposed to handle a revision for Gan.

Still in discussions on that, it seems the currently-revised tiering itself has some hiccups after discussing with some more knowledgable members on the new tiering, so it may take a little while

Okay. Thank you for helping out.

Is anything happening here yet?

I've discussed off-and-on with a few members on Tier 0, Tier 1, and its definitions, and it appears that amongst those knowlegable on the upper tiering system post-revision, there is some disagreement on how accurate/adequate the definitions in place are.

At this point, I'll likely be just making the revision soon and hoping that more tiering system changes aren't discussed/brought up to re-revise the revisions, if that makes sense

Okay. Thank you for helping out. I appreciate it.

@Xulrev

How is this project developing?

Been at a bit of standstill; I believe you're in another thread I'm on wherein I explained I have some IRL issues developing, some of which is COVID related (job situation, not illness, thank goodness).

Okay. My country is also in serious jeopardy because of this, and I am currently mostly isolating myself in my apartment with my supplies.

Unfortunately, I am located in America, where we have already seen some devastating economic impact, and I can only foresee further destruction to it in the immediate future due to the lack of adequate response.

It's good to hear that you're self-isolating though, not enough people seem to be doing that even though it would be absurdly helpful in these times.

Well, at least your government has done far more and has much greater resources to deal with this crisis than my own. We are predicted to reach Italy levels of deaths and social chaos within less than 2-4 weeks, and have nowhere near the economy to be able to deal with it.

As an update, Aeyu and I are coordinating to discuss what the proper revision should be for Gan, Maturin, Pennywise, and the Tower itself in light of the tiering revisions. There's some interesting complications that alter the approach I was taking, initially

Okay. Thank you for helping out. I appreciate it.

I don't know what use I can be to this, but I'm currently going through a reading of the Dark Tower series, so anything I can do to help.

That would be very appreciated. Thank you.

For what it's worth there's an infinite hierarchy of turtles, and Maturin, the turtle at the bottom, was already established as 1-A

• Suppose there's a kind of Beam holding the Earth (or even multiple Earths) in place? And that the Beam's generator rests on the shell of a turtle? I could make that part of the book's climax. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm sure I read somewhere that in Hindu mythology there's a great turtle that bears us all on his shell, and that he serves Gan, the creative overforce. Also, I remember an anecdote where some lady sez to some famous scientist, "This evolution stuff is ridiculous. Everyone knows that a turtle holds up the universe." To which the scientist (wish I could remember his name, but I can't) replies, "That may be, madam, but what holds up the turtle?" Scornful laugh from the lady, who says, "Oh, you can't fool me! It's turtles all the way down."* - Song of Susannah

? I'm sorry, but what in that quote proves that there is an infinite hierarchy of turtles? That is a reference to Hindu mythology, it says nothing about infinite turtles existing in TDT, let alone there being a hierarchy

If Gan genuinely completely transcends such a hierarchy of 1-A beings, he would likely be High 1-A though. However, if he only transcends one such turtle, he would at best be "At least 1-A", and that would be very generous.

Everyone knows that a turtle holds up the universe." To which the scientist (wish I could remember his name, but I can't) replies, "That may be, madam, but what holds up the turtle?" Scornful laugh from the lady, who says, "Oh, you can't fool me! It's turtles all the way down.

I am currently reading "It" and I will be reading the dark tower books right after. So hope I could help in the future.

Even if there's was infinite turtles like in the anectode, they aren't trascendant over one another, so Gan would be just a higher level of 1-A by trascending them

Read this again

Everyone knows that a turtle holds up the universe." To which the scientist (wish I could remember his name, but I can't) replies, "That may be, madam, but what holds up the turtle?" Scornful laugh from the lady, who says, "Oh, you can't fool me! It's turtles all the way down.

The turle below is just slitgly bigger, not transcendent

That very clearly is not how the Dark tower multiverse works

There only one turtle and it's Maturin, none of the times i've seen metioned the void outside the tower it was never metioned any turtle beside him so we can just call off the old woman as senile

BigTurtle

ZacharyGrossman273 said:
yeah, and again, this is a reference to Hinduist cosmology, not necessarily related to TDT

No, because... well let me post the whole thing. Stephen king himself appears in it

August 14th, 1984 (NYC)

Just got back from a meeting with Elaine Koster from NAL and my agent, the ole Kirboo. Both of them pitched me on doing The Gunslinger as a trade-sized paperback, but I passed. Maybe someday, but I won't give that many people a chance to read something so unfinished unless/until I go back to work on the story.

Which I probably never will. Meantime, I have this other idea for a long novel about a clown that's really the worst monster in the world. Not a bad idea; clowns are scary. To me, at least. (Clowns & chickens, go figure.)

November 18th, 1984

I had a dream last night that I think breaks the creative logjam on It. Suppose there's a kind of Beam holding the Earth (or even multiple Earths) in place? And that the Beam's generator rests on the shell of a turtle? I could make that part of the book's climax. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm sure I read somewhere that in Hindu mythology there's a great turtle that bears us all on his shell, and that he serves Gan, the creative overforce. Also, I remember an anecdote where some lady sez to some famous scientist, "This evolution stuff is ridiculous. Everyone knows that a turtle holds up the universe." To which the scientist (wish I could remember his name, but I can't) replies, "That may be, madam, but what holds up the turtle?" Scornful laugh from the lady, who says, "Oh, you can't fool me! It's turtles all the way down."

Ha! Take that, ye rational men of science!

Anyway, I keep a blank book by my bed, and have gotten so I write down a lot of dreams and dream elements w/o even fully waking up. This morning I'd written Remember the Turtle! And this: See the TURTLE of enormous girth! On his shell he holds the earth. His thought is slow but always kind; he holds us all within his mind. Not great poetry, I grant you, but not bad for a guy who was three-quarters asleep when he wrote it!

Tabby has been on my case about drinking too much again. I suppose she's right, but... - Song of Susannah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back