• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Help needed: Improving our "Standard Format for Verse Pages" page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

As you can all see, the "Hotlinking images" section of our Standard Format for Verse Pages page is severely outdated, and needs to be replaced with a section that explains how we currently usually create image galleries.

We have a brief section about this in our Standard Format for Character Profiles page, that could be used as a template, but it would need to be expanded with more information about our standard settings.

Help would be very appreciated.

Also, just a note that as far as I have understood, the Fandom staff is trying to make the old code for our galleries work properly again.

Last edited:
I'd do so but as mentioned in another thread, I'm not the most technically advanced individual, which I suspect would leave any explanations written by me lacking. So... consider this acknowledgement of the thread, I'm not ignoring it, but I am unfortunately ill equipped to assist.

Okay. No problem. Thanks anyway.

I have no idea what hotlinking means nor do I have any experience in doing galleries (I only copypaste from accepted galleries) so I really can't help here.

Well, we need to replace the "hotlinking" section with a gallery creation explanations section.

Well beyond just informing them of the basic ass <gallery> </gallery>, a new section about verse galleries would also want to go into some of the necessities of one, like width, orientation, spacing, etc.

Tangential to this thread but I'd also like to mention we have a somewhat annoying problem as a wiki, in that our caption text color and border color do not work. Like, I've tried numerous times but the captions just end up with the same color as the caption of the gallery above them, and NoGround when he was still helping us informed me it was a coding issue iirc.

I know it sounds very minor but it's extremely annoying to anyone who wants to customize galleries to any extent for their verse.

Okay. I need somebody who knows how to write verse page image galleries to write a basic instruction.

I'm not too knowledgeable on what "Hotlinking images" mean. But I will mention that showing a list of characters is something I have felt might need a main format. And based on several verses I'm familiar with, this seems like the preferred format for the list of characters on each verse look like.

<gallery captionalign="center" widths="146" orientation="portrait" captionposition="within" captionsize="large" bordercolor="#000000" bordersize="large" spacing="small" captiontextcolor="#ffffff" navigation="true" columns="dynamic">
File:(Name of specific png or jpg image)|(Specific name of the character goes here)|link=(Name of wiki page for said character goes here)
</gallery>

This shows an example of how it looks with said format. Wasn't sure if that's what's being asked in the OP, but I believe this is something that would be helpful on the note.

BTW, I have an issue regarding those slideshows, where you click arrows to proceed to the next picture

I can't seem to be able to click on the main photo itself if I want to save it for some reason, it refuses to take me to the image's main page to be able to save it.

Medeus:

Thank you. That is probably going to be helpful for our work here.

KLOL506:

The slideshow galleries display is something that Fandom is currently working on.

I am not really familiar with this editing topic but I think following a format like Medeus posted above could work.

So is somebody willing to write a draft for this, preferably in a wiki sandbox page?

We basically just need you to write a galleries standard format example, patterned after existing verse page examples, with a link to Fandom's standard instructions page for this, along with another link to an external hex colour code explanation page. That is all. Is nobody in the staff really willing to handle this? It is very important for our wiki structure.

Okay. No problem. Are there any members who are experienced in this area that somebody here can recommend me to ask instead?

Formatting issues tend to be within the area of Content Moderators, so I would suggest contacting this section of the staff.

Well, I already sent a notification to them.

Given that our image galleries are back to normal now, I would still greatly appreciate help from our community with solving this problem.

Thank you. It is very appreciated.

We basically just need you to write a galleries standard format example, patterned after existing verse page examples, with a link to Fandom's standard instructions page for this, along with another link to an external hex colour code explanation page. That is all. Is nobody in the staff really willing to handle this? It is very important for our wiki structure.

Going off of what DDM posted above, here is an elaborated example of what we could put in.

Hotlinking Images​

Here is an example of coding for the images:

<gallery captionalign="center" widths="146" orientation="portrait" captionposition="within" captionsize="large" bordercolor="#000000" bordersize="large" spacing="small" captiontextcolor="#ffffff" navigation="true" columns="dynamic">
File:(Name of specific png or jpg image)|(Specific name of the first character goes here)|link=(Name of wiki page for said character goes here)
File:(Name of specific png or jpg image)|(Specific name of the second character goes here)|link=(Name of wiki page for said character goes here)
Etc.
</gallery>

More information and modifiers for galleries can be found on the Community Wiki page; Help:Galleries, Slideshows, and Sliders.

Hex codes for the border color and caption text color can be altered, and finding specific hex codes can be done on this website.

Here is an example of the code in practice:

File:FELIX.jpg|Felix|link=Felix (Golden Sun)
File:Jenna.jpg|Jenna|link=Jenna (Golden Sun)
File:SHEBA.jpg|Sheba|link=Sheba
</gallery>

And the gallery in action can be seen here.

Has this revision been applied now?

Thank you very much for the help. It is very appreciated.

Perhaps you can copy the formatting used for the gray box sections of the following page to properly showcase the required code instead?

Thank you. It mostly seems good to me now.

However, shouldn't the contents of the image galleries section be inserted into the characters section instead?

Thank you. It mostly seems good to me now.

However, shouldn't the contents of the image galleries section be inserted into the characters section instead?

@Damage3245

I would appreciate your further help with this.

Yes. That is where the vast amount of all galleries in verse pages are placed in practice.

Okay. Thank you for helping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back