• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Destroying anything does seem like a blatant NLF. It's not like these flames can destroy the sun, the moon, or even the entire earth. And I'm sure that these flames don't cause these effects instantaneously, it's over time. Igniting one of Jee-Han's golems would just have a burning metal golem attacking everyone until its eventually overcome, which would take at least several minutes, if the flames actually are hot enough to melt the metal.

Spells not taxing stamina also seems like NLF, and blatantly false. Casting spells has some kind of price, that much is for sure. Otherwise wiazrds could just cast spells endlessly, and that isn't the case. They certainly don't have infinite magic power.

Fidelius kinda makes the fight moot then. If such a thing is cast, there would be no fight, so it essentially erases the thread. And I'm not sure about making this MORE unfindable if they can't even be found or remembered in the first place.

"Many spells do not seem to have physical force other than the effect they contain. Avada Kedavra, the Killing Curse, has none at all, but it is so powerful magic that it will destroy any noneliving thing it hits. What is living and hits just dies. Without any injury."

No physical force yet it has to hit something, which heavily implies physical force. Sounds a bit contradictory. And the spell also must travel, giving Jee-Han time to dodge. Or it would just be met with one of his countless spinning mana arrows and be cancelled out. Thinking on it now, not only do the spells have to get past his layered mana barriers, but they also run high risk and simply hitting a mana arrow, and being cancelled out from that.

There are still other points I have made that I'll point out by politely asking to reference to the last paragraph of my previous response. Like I said before, inconclusive seems fair, in particular with Fidelius, it's simply that Jee-Han is literally made for these kinds of battles, and isn't exactly lacking in tools here needed to win such a fight.

I've not meant that Fiendfyre can literally destroy anything. There are limits. But these limits are more in Size than in Power. It burns away magic, soul and matter in moments. Said Indestructible Diadem was vaporized in around 2 seconds. Fiendfyre will burn as long as there is anything in its perception let to burn out or the caster ends it - if the caster is there, he can let the fire prevail over the point where nothing is left to burn.

I cannot say if magic even HAS a price in HP. It could be that they are more Manipulators than the actual source of magic. I can, however, guarantee that there never, in both the books or the movies, has there ever been shown to be any kind of cost to magic besides time invested to learn spells. Even after the Battle of Hogwarts or the Battle of the Department of Mystery there was not a single one exhausted beyond the physical cost of running around and, well fighting a war. Even after casting what could be hundreds of spells in the Battle of Hogwarts, there was never a repercussion for wizards, never a kind of magical exhaustion or anything. The closest thing there even IS to a cost mentioned is a Wizards ability to die for someone and then making them imune against their murderer. This is what happened when Voldemort "killed" Harry - none of his Spells did shit anymore. His Curses are mentioned to not have "any effect". But that does not really seem to be a price in and on itself, more like a superbroken Ritual.

(To be honest, the only thing that even indicates there IS magic in HP is because there happens something when they wave their wands and say something. It might actually be they are no wizards at all but small scale reality manipulators with silly rules.) But this is neither here nor there and just my personal opinion. At least that in the ().

From what I understand of magic, it seems to behave like a slower kind of light or at least something similar. Magic does not even seem to care to be physicaly understandable, or at least highly changeable.

@Ricsi The size of Hogwarts varies greatly, but it's safe to say that is is far larger than any castle existing in real life. And also reaches very deep into the earth. Being a part of Hogwarts are, not only:

A River, a Sea (big enough to swim around in for 2 hours and provide sustainance for a entire village of mermen), an entire Forrest big enough to provide sustenance for thousands of car sized spiders and at least 100 centaurs), a quidditch stadium, a mountainrange and a lot more stuff. Safe to say the entirety of Hogwarts might be more akin to a city than just a castle.

Heilergott said:
A River, a Sea (big enough to swim around in for 2 hours and provide sustainance for a entire village of mermen), an entire Forrest big enough to provide sustenance for thousands of car sized spiders and at least 100 centaurs), a quidditch stadium, a mountainrange and a lot more stuff. Safe to say the entirety of Hogwarts might be more akin to a city than just a castle.
then han starts in hogwards anyways

In Goblet of Fire, Harry became exhausted after practicing the Accio summoning charm over and over again, prior to the first task of the Triwizard Tournament.

In Goblet of Fire, Harry was very drained of energy during Priori Incantatem and was barely able to hold onto his wand because the magic was so powerful.

Both are stated to be MENTAL exhaustion, akin to stress caused an exam, and I've reread the section with Priori Incantatem. He can barely hold his wand, quite correct, but he was "drained" because he was thrown under the Cruciatus, had to run through a Labyrinth and was heavily wounded and possibly poisoned.

Heilergott said:
Both are stated to be MENTAL exhaustion, akin to stress caused an exam, and I've reread the section with Priori Incantatem. He can barely hold his wand, quite correct, but he was "drained" because he was thrown under the Cruciatus, had to run through a Labyrinth and was heavily wounded and possibly poisoned.
fair enough. still, the only attacks they could use against him are fiendfyre, which he could dodge and possibly manipulate (POSSIBLY) and and akuna matata, which on itself is is easy to dedge even whitout time manipulation

I'm not too familiar with the HPverse, but that still feels like NLF to me. Wizards with no limit to the spells they cast and can burn down any and everything as long as it isn't too big. However, if it is indeed mental exhaustion, then that would impose a limit on the spells they can cast. If not, eh, it seems a bit like NLF still. Unless something like that is explicitly.

@King

If you're still following the thread, I'd appreciate your input on that part.

akuna matata? Isnt that something from Disney? and if you look at the curse in HP 8 and it hitting Harry, Avada Kedavra, if you mean that, is a seriously fast curse.

Heilergott said:
akuna matata? Isnt that something from Disney? and if you look at the curse in HP 8 and it hitting Harry, Avada Kedavra, if you mean that, is a seriously fast curse.
it was dodged by humans and time manipulation can make him faster.

akuna matata is an internet meme

Litentric Teon said:
@King
If you're still following the thread, I'd appreciate your input on that part.
I'll admit, I haven't been paying attention for a while now. Sorry about that.

I honestly don't remember whether or not wizards in HP exhaust themselves after casting too many spells. I could probably see them tiring mentally (since spells in HP, especially stronger ones, explicitly require a good amount of thought and concentration) but I don't remember if there are any physical side effects.

Harry's Legilimency training left him extremely worn out IIRC, but that was probably mental exhaustion.

@King

No worries. I know it's a long thread. A lot to read as things can honestly go either way. In particular since everyone has knowledge of the other.

And okay. This is honestly the first I'm hearing of wizards being able to fight with no real limit aside from potential mental exhaustion. Though if spells of higher quality have some kind of concentration limit, they'd likely take slightly more time to cast.

Thank you for the information.

No problem.

Bear in mind, they're still going to physically tire if they're forced to dodge or run a whole lot. (Which they probably will be, since the only Hogwarts wizard who can use Apparition mid-combat us Dumbledore) But the act of casting the spells itself probably won't be what tires them out.

Back