• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
This revision will change Gumball on the VS Battles Wiki as we know him! After analyzing the lore and cosmology of The Amazing World of Gumball, I have determined something that I think somehow no one else has realized; Gumball Watterson, in base form, has godly abilities that automatically apply themselves to the universe and are generally pretty useful to the standards of the VS Battles Wiki.

The Main Major Upgrade
Canonical plot armor and main character status! It grants him many effective benefits. Let's go over the facts.
  1. Gumball knows that he and Darwin are the main characters, and that events happen in specific ways because of that fact, as seen during the episode The Sweaters. The context was that the tennis sweater guys from Richwood High challenged Gumball and Darwin to a competition, and if they didn't accept, then Elmore Junior High would get replaced with a golf course. This didn't interest the main characters, but everything was oddly forcing them to be part of this story through weird happenstance and the sheer stupidity of everyone else, including a lot of influence by Sarah, who broke the fourth wall more frequently and abundantly than Darwin did during other occurrences in the series.
  2. Reality depends on the budget of the Wattersons, as seen during the episode The Money. When they became bankrupt, the whole world started to corrupt and have lower production quality until it became worse than a storyboard and would've disappeared.
  3. According to Sarah, who knows a lot about metafiction, in accordance to the theory of nature abhors a vacuum, when Gumball changed his personality so his classmates could like him more, Tobias replaced Gumball as the star loser in the grand sitcom of their lives, as seen throughout the episode The Test. This meant that Tobias became the main character, which changed the style of the show into a comically clichéd sitcom. It also changed the causality of the show to center around Tobias the lazy writing attributed to his antics, much to Sarah's aggravation. Tobias supernaturally inserted himself into the Watterson family. Despite a school day not being finished, he was able to skip to nighttime, and then to Christmas. Tobias was also able to make it so that the previous events of the episode were all just a dream, still through his status as the main character that he achieved during those events.
    1. We can see that Gumball and Darwin can do a similar kind of thing where they change the style of animation, during The Kids when singing, during The Drama when running to see what Carrie was doing, and during The Burden when chasing Chris Morris. They aren't the only characters who have been associated with the animation style changing, but we can see the notable connection between this and the main characters, especially with the previous point about The Money.
  4. As revealed during The Disaster, Rob outright stated that he was forced to be Gumball's nemesis because Gumball is the “hero” of “all this”; a fictional world that revolves around Gumball as the protagonist. This means that the past actions of Gumball that led Rob down his path were inevitable, but if Rob got rid of Gumball, Rob could become whoever he wanted to be, like he said.
  5. Darwin controlled the censorship filters of the show during the episode The Safety.
  6. As most notably seen during the episode The Fan, Sarah is in love with Gumball and Darwin, and Sarah is notable for her fourth wall breaking and meta humor. It's implied that she thinks their lives are far more interesting than hers because they are the main characters. (Implied by “since I'm in school to be near you guys” combined with how Sarah doesn't have a strong sense of self-identity.) Tobias has also mentioned that he feels like the world isn't set up how it should be, because he thinks he's better than Gumball yet he feels like his life isn't as interesting as Gumball's, as seen during the episode The Voice. This point doesn't mean much by itself, but I put it here anyway because it supports the conclusion this thread is trying to reach.
  7. This is only supporting evidence because it's unclear whether this has to do with Gumball and Darwin being the main characters or it has to do with them having gag Supernatural Luck, but there was a long period of time where they were avoiding Rob actively trying to wreck them without even realizing that he was still their nemesis, as seen during the episode The Nemesis.

These are important facts that should not be overlooked. Due to my discovery, I finally understood the ending of the episode The Finale. The Wattersons being saved by reality being reset by some kind of magic device off-screen wasn't a foreshadowing of the Universal Remote that appeared later in the series. It was a reference to us, the viewers, and our devices, being able to simply watch another episode of The Amazing World of Gumball after watching The Finale. The negative consequences of previous episodes finally impacting the Wattersons during this one episode, and them finally getting defeated by the end, couldn't have been consequential, because no matter what happened in the end, the next episode will always start with the Wattersons being in the status quo, like all other episodes. This is shown at the beginning of the episode, where it was revealed while the Wattersons were looking at their Family Album that their house was perfectly fine twenty minutes after being irreparably water damaged during the events of The Responsible. Richard said that he has been in prison many times, and that it's as simple as being put in and then suddenly not being in there anymore. Interactions beyond the fourth wall have ended other episodes, as seen such as at the end of The Spinoffs, where the viewers go to a different channel to watch a different show.

With all the above being established, below are the revisions I propose.

Plot Manipulation and Causality Manipulation for Gumball, Darwin and protagonist Tobias. This is based on my points about the information from The Sweaters, The Test and The Finale.

Reality Warping and limited Data Manipulation for Gumball, Darwin, Nicole and protagonist Tobias. This is based on my point about the information from The Money. Nicole is the breadwinner so it applies to her too, even though she isn't as much of a main character as Gumball and Darwin.

Time Manipulation for Gumball and protagonist Tobias. This is based on the events from The Test.

Mental Acausality type 1 for Darwin, Sarah, Anais, Nicole and Richard, and the regular version for Gumball and protagonist Tobias. During The Test, all those characters, even when Gumball was a secondary character, were mentally unaffected by Tobias becoming the protagonist, even though it changed the behavior of other characters, most notably making Penny interested in Tobias despite his personality not changing at all and Penny previously being disinterested in him. Gumball should have the same abilities that Tobias got as a result of becoming the protagonist, including still being the protagonist despite making the events that led to that just being a dream. Despite Tobias making the previous events of the episode The Test a dream, secondary character Gumball, Darwin and Sarah still ended up comprehending the overall context of what was going on, even after Gumball reclaimed his position as the protagonist by vomiting his toxic snarkiness at him.

Universe level+ power via limited Environmental Destruction for Gumball, Darwin, Nicole and protagonist Tobias. This is because all of these characters have the potential to get the show canceled, which means their whole world falling apart according to Gumball during The Money, and is contextually more consequential than Richard accidentally tearing apart the fabric of the universe during The Job, because the universe is within the show. To be precise, the whole “world” refers to the universe, because the universe is canonically a show in this fictional work as I showed before, and the statement can be inferred to as a reference to the show's name that contains that word, The Amazing World of Gumball. (I mean that the writers chose this word for him to say as a reference to the show's name, and there's other evidence that Gumball's reality is canonically a show anyway, such as during The Signal, not that Gumball deliberately said "world" as a confirmation he knowingly did.)

I propose that the range of the other abilities are Universal+ for a similar justification as the one in the previous paragraph. Additionally, some of the abilities are related to time, which generally helps solidify this level of capabilities.

I would like to upload a profile of Tobias that I prepared as a blog post to go along with this revision.

Smaller Upgrades
Gumball should have Multiple Selves type 3 listed on his profile, because his brain was shown to be a separate character during The Genius.

Gumball should have Perception Manipulation listed on his profile. During The Banana, he said that he thinks that his brain can prevent him from hearing boring things. This has been revealed to be true and quite special; he can make it so that his brain tunes things in and out of his perception entirely, to the point where he can even ignore an alien apocalypse and simply waited for the problem to fix itself. (Those were shown during The Others and The Vegging.) It also applies to Darwin due to him having the same reactions to events as Gumball.

Darwin should have Supernatural Willpower listed on his profile because, as seen during The Origins, he was able to survive on land and overcome starvation so he could return to Gumball because of their friendship bond.

Anais should have Fusionism listed on her profile. During The Parasite, Anais was actually the parasite, not Jodie. The reveal is not easily available online for free, but I found it in a reaction video, although the footage isn't completely facing the screen.

Richard can teleport as seen during The Slip, so he should have Teleportation listed on his profile.

Sarah should have Immortality types 2 and 3 listed on her profile due to being able to survive with her head off. She even puts it in a freezer at night to sleep, with that being implied to be a regular occurrence.

Masami should have Social Influencing listed on her profile because she contributed a lot to Gumball's plan to fix Clare's life, and Gumball has Social Influencing for this reason.

Masami was able to morph attributes of different characters together with her wind, including Carrie, so her profile should have Transmutation and Non-Physical Interaction listed.

Carrie should have Planetary range listed on her profile using the Forbidden Book, due to it being able to advance from nighttime to daytime during The Mirror.

Gumball's profile states that the Magic Notebook has Planetary range, but its own profile and Sarah's profile state that it has Universal range. A decision needs to be made about this. The Magic Notebook never actually rewinded an episode, it just was able to undo all the edits it did to reality. We know that its range is Planetary because it was able to turn daytime into nighttime. I don't think there's a way to confirm that its range is cosmic, although it feels right due to the abilities of other characters having this kind of range in my more major proposals of this thread. Though, just because there is the Cartoon Network logo on the cover, doesn't mean that its potency is equal to Cartoon Network or the entirety of the show that it broadcasts; the logo could just signify its origin, or what pool of capabilities the Magic Notebook can pull from. Even with that being the case, I don't see why it couldn't potentially edit the show, a universe, in pretty much any way the writer wants. I propose that the Magic Notebook's range becomes consistent with the Universal+ range revisions from earlier. I'm open to suggestions though.

Tobias's profile looks good, maybe have a separate key for his Protagonist powers
Changing night to day would actually be interplanetary range, not planetary

Everything looks good, so I obviously agree
Thanks. I did already differentiate Tobias' abilities depending on whether or not he is a secondary character or a protagonist. There ended up not being much of a need for making the key distinction very noticeable, since it's really just a different state that affects his Powers and Abilities section, which I separated into different tabs, and an extra Environmental Destruction tier for his Attack Potency that he only has access to as the protagonist. I'll probably remove the key distinction actually, since the formatting of Tobias' page is similar to Richard's, which doesn't have a key distinction between him being unemployed and employed.

I imagine that changing the time of day has to do with changing the rotation of the Earth and the position of the Moon, which is Planetary Range according to the Range page. What leads you to believe that it's Interplanetary range?

Yeah Tobias's protagonist stuff is probably fine then
I imagine that changing the time of day has to do with changing the rotation of the Earth and the position of the Moon, which is Planetary Range according to the Range page. What leads you to believe that it's Interplanetary range?
I was thinking in the vain of the book moving the sun instead of rotating the planet, but using Earth's rotation is probably more accurate so nvm

Last edited:
We should probably wait for the new season before making concrete changes with the plot manip.

We should probably wait for the new season before making concrete changes with the plot manip.
Who knows how long that's going to take? Am I unaware of an estimated release date for a new season? Either way, we could always change my revision to something else if I end up being incorrect based on future reveals. I don't think I'm far from the truth though, since the conclusion I came up with seems pretty concrete based on how many times the series has hinted at it. A new season being released would probably merely continue to demonstrate what the series has already been doing in this regard, that being hinting at Gumball canonically having protagonist privilege, and maybe having one new episode centered around that idea without straightforwardly confirming it.

It's unfortunate that there hasn't been any progress made of this revision for an entire four weeks, despite my efforts to find staff members to provide input. If anyone knows of staff members who would be willing to approve of this revision proposal, please send them a request to evaluate it.

Plot Manipulation: Darwin gets it for actively censoring the story. I think the CN Book and Remote count too. Not sure about the others since I couldn't tell if it was conscious changes they made or the world reacting to them.

Reality Warping: Similar to Plot Manip, I would have to narrow down

Causality Manipulation: I don't see how Event A to Event B causality has been changed.

Limited Data Manipulation: I wouldn't consider the world reacting to their brokenness as an inherent ability. Maybe Passive?

Time Manipulation: Isn't this via interaction with an on-screen timer, not an inherent ability?

Acausality Type 1: Time Paradox Immunity: I suppose this exists, but you would have to limit it to those whose past's have been altered but remain unaffected in the present.

Looking into.
Thank you very much! It has taken over a month just for a staff member to evaluate of the proposed revisions. I know this might be complicated, so I appreciate your motivation.
I didn't see anyone acknowledging themselves as the main characters in [The Sweaters]. I would consider this as more the two being aware of the tropes that would happen to them.
In "We're going to have a fight, it'll look like we're losing, but then we'll win thanks to our "part" or something, [...]", the "part" is what I was focusing on; along with the overall context, it was Gumball saying that his and Darwin's role (called their "part") in the story would lead to events turning out in a specific way typical of a story about having a competition to save the school, even though the two made it very clear that they wanted nothing to do with it, and actively tried to avoid participating almost the entire time. Seeing as how the story turned out almost exactly like how Gumball predicted, I interpret this as it having been narratively mandatory that Gumball and Darwin in particular participated in the story and won against the challengers.

To clarify, a lot of my points individually aren't supposed to be remotely enough for a character to be considered as having plot manipulation, but the points work as supporting evidence to the few other points that do suggest it. With all the evidence together, it sets the context of what the exact nature of this self-awareness is demonstrated by Gumball, which I believe is the type that proves plot manipulation in the end. I don't mean to claim that Gumball's words here directly count as a reliable statement. Gumball and Darwin are usually unaware of their capabilities concerning my proposed revision, but there are moments like the aforementioned one when they at least somewhat realize it, which provides us with information.
I'm not exactly sure if [the Wattersons going bankrupt causing the budget of reality to deteriorate] lines up with plot manipulation since it's in regards to the format of the medium, not the story of the medium. Take, for example, an anime mp4 being turned into a light novel. It's still some form of passive higher Reality Warping.
That's correct. In case I wasn't clear enough, although this revision proposal is advertised as a plot manipulation upgrade, it's actually a variety of metafiction based upgrades, which does include plot manipulation anyway, but it's not limited to just that, as clarified near the end of the major upgrade section. By itself, the part where the Wattersons being bankrupt caused the budget of reality to decrease is just metafiction based reality warping. However, the reason the budget of reality is dependent on the Wattersons is implied to be because it's Gumball's "amazing world", as in, the Wattersons have canonical main character status, and in the next point with Tobias that you agreed with, having this status includes plot manipulation. So, if I ever write that the metafiction based reality warping is evidence of plot manipulation, it's only a result of scaling, not because the feat itself implies it.
I suppose [Tobias' main character abilities] makes sense.
Goodie, this was a leading evidence instead of just supporting evidence. Sorry for not organizing it better.
Are these animation changes active deviations from the original plot that the characters cause?
The examples I provided during The Drama and The Burden are meaningless by themselves. I was just showing a consistency between characters being main characters and being able to change the animation; I don't mean to claim that these are clear examples of plot manipulation in the slightest, especially since being able to change the animation isn't even exclusive to them. The example I provided during The Kids was Gumball and Darwin quickly swapping between doing various unconnected exciting activities to make the most of their childhood, which could be better evidence. The specially drawn forms of them appeared in the regular setting when the song was ending, so I think it was more than just their imagination, especially since there are clearer examples of characters turning their imagination into reality anyway, such as Gumball trying to cheer up his family after their items were repossessed.
I acknowledge that the "story" of the show is a thing.
Again, I acknowledge that the "story" of the show is a thing.
Do you mean it as in you acknowledge that the "story" is an in-setting aspect of the fictional work? If so, that's what I was aiming for, so thank you. These two explanations were only supporting evidence, so we're finished with them.
I think [Darwin's censorship] is a form of Plot manip since it's taking what would be the original story and actively censoring it.
Thanks. 👍
Supernatural Luck is described on the site as something more general. "A character's exceptional luck must be a real ability or supernatural aspect of them." We currently don't have a page detailing the requirements of "Plot Armor."
It's okay if this is just considered as supernatural luck, but canonical plot armor can be considered as passive plot manipulation, and not to the extent where it's literal "manipulation", but more so just the plot favoring the character with the ability. It'd be functionally very similar to supernatural luck.
Plot Manipulation: Darwin gets it for actively censoring the story. I think the CN Book and Remote count too. Not sure about the others since I couldn't tell if it was conscious changes they made or the world reacting to them.

Reality Warping: Similar to Plot Manip, I would have to narrow down
That's reasonable, but for the following reasons, I think it's reasonable to consider the plot manipulation as more: During the episode The Test, Tobias becoming the main character allowed him to make decisions that were explicitly contrary to the "continuity"; originally, Tobias was going to do a two-timer date story, but later, suddenly he was almost late for a battle of the bands. Admittedly, not everything he did was obviously his own decision, but he still went along with his benefits and usurped Gumball's role in his family with no confusion, and still changed the entire nature of the show just by having main character status, so at worst it would just be passive plot manipulation of varying effectiveness. Gumball scales to all of the abilities Tobias demonstrated, since Gumball is usually the main character, and only temporarily stopped being the "star loser" for most of this one episode. It can be inferred that all the other episodes having natures that you'd describe as "normal" are because Gumball being the main character makes it so that his reality is "normal", so his plot manipulation isn't very noticeable and he most likely doesn't realize that he has it.

Also, you seem to have skipped what I wrote about the episode The Finale, which has evidence that's important to my revision proposal. What do you think of it?
Causality Manipulation: I don't see how Event A to Event B causality has been changed.
That's just one idea of causality manipulation; having the ability to manipulate continuity or history also counts as the ability, as far as I'm aware. With Tobias changing the continuity, he undid what caused the events to be the way they ended up, since what story he was doing was completely his own whim, rather than as a result of outside sources causing certain narratives. This could be interpreted as plot manipulation instead, by the way.
Limited Data Manipulation: I wouldn't consider the world reacting to their brokenness as an inherent ability. Maybe Passive?
Yeah, I didn't mean that the characters would activate it. I meant "limited" as in "only happening under very specific circumstances". So, it can be considered as limited and passive.
Time Manipulation: Isn't this via interaction with an on-screen timer, not an inherent ability?
I was referring how Tobias was able to change the time of day or month. He didn't interact with something to do it, it just happened spontaneously because it suited what he was doing in the story.
Acausality Type 1: Time Paradox Immunity: I suppose this exists, but you would have to limit it to those whose past's have been altered but remain unaffected in the present.
I guess so.

I decided that I'm going to make this thread as an explanation blog post and organize it better than I initially did. When that's finished, I will link it in the original post if I can.

Back