• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Grim Dawn: What to consider Gameplay Mechanics

Rikimarox2

He/Him
Right so, a game I'm indexing is kind of weird.

Basically, there's an ability in-game that lets to chain lightning to your opponents, and can affect only 6 people, as the game states.

Got that? Cool, well, here's the in-game description of this ability:

"Hand of Ultos: The Storm Shepherd's fury emits from your fingertips, cascading through entire armies with devastating electrical force."

Aaaand here's the problem. An ability, which in-game can only effect 6 people and has a range of, at best, 30 meters, can apparently affect entire armies according to the in-game description. Meaning, its range should be way higher according to the description.

Another one is this: There's an ability in-game that lets you freeze enemies within like a 5 meter radius. It only freezes them for 3-4 seconds, and enemies with freeze resistance can ignore it. Cool?

Well, here's the upgraded version of it:

"Absolute Zero: Completely sap the nearby air of heat, leaving anything caught within the Flash Freeze slowed and debilitated even after the initial effects wear off."

So, even its name is called Absolute Zero. Can I label this ability as, well, instead of ice manip, just make it Absolute Zero? And what about its duration? Would it only stay 3 seconds despite it realistically should be way longer?

And one of the more extreme ones, is this:

An ability lets you to remove 6 seconds of your currently active skills. Nice?

Well, here's the description of the "Ability":

"The sands of the hourglass spin in an untamed whirlwind. The laws of time itself no longer apply to you."

So, I have to ask, should I just ignore in-game effects if the description varies by a lot?

Well, I think that if the ability description directly contradicts what the ability does, then you shouldn't use it and only use what you can get.

For example: Hand of Ultos says that the ability can effect armies while having an incredibly limited range in gameplay. If the ability doesn't show that range in any cutscenes or anywhere else, it has nothing to support it, and as such, you should only use the shown range.

For Absolute Zero, it's different. It doesn't directly contradict the effects of the ability or what it has shown, it just fancies up how it happens. It still freezes shit, just happens to be at Absolute Zero temperatures. That's usable. The duration, idk.

Does that make sense?

Back