• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Grey Hulk and Thing Revision

Namor at least has an excuse for his variable tier, given that his power is dependant on how hydrated he is at any given point. He's basically Deep Sea King from One Punch Man. So him jumping between different tiers made sense fo him. Danvers and Walters having (or soon to at least) seperate keys distinguishing between different era's made sense for them since they canonically grew in powerful as the years went on.

Well yea Namor's variable tier does make more sense then it does with others that have variable tiers, but Thing has been able to fight on par with Namor on both land and in water like ever since Namor's creation. Hell, IIRC they fought underwater in more recent years and the Thing ended up winning.

I agree with Matthew.

Again, it is the Grey Hulk and the Thing that have the tier 5 feats that other characters scale to in the first place, so if we upgrade them, we have to upgrade all of the others as well.

Isn't Colossus the only person where that would be an issue, since he somehow scales to Thing? And at that point, it could likely just be considered an outlier, or scale him to someone else.

Yeah, Colossus is still the only person I see being an issue if he was 4-B. But considering that nothing on his profile actually suggests that he would scale to Thing, I think it would honestly make more sense to scale him to, say, Magneto.

The Thing does not have Tier 5 feats. I already debunked this in the OP. Grey Hulk has only a single 5-A feat, and it was done with practically no effort on his part, while The Thing is just scaling. Every 4-B in Marvel has planetary feats at some point or another. Also, I'm fairly sure that Hulk himself doesn't even have Solar System level feats and relies entirely on scaling to Thor.

I already explained this. Colossus fought The Thing twice and has been consistently been far outmatched by people that scale to him. Cyclops (as well as Mister Sinister and Havok by extension) could be downgraded and Colossus could scale to him. Colossus generally has some difficulty fighting Sentinels or can tear their limbs off, who usually cannot withstand Cyclops' attacks.

@APM I don't think that Star level feat can be used. It was performed by Miracle Man.

I don't think Amadeus Cho is 4-B either.

Also Asura has mentioned stuff like High 6-A and Low 5-B scaling for Thing which may in fact end up being more reliable than 5-A?

Matthew Schroeder said:
I agree. This is just an attempt to make everyone scale to each other and get away with it.

When the simpler solution is that Thing, Grey Hulk, Namor, etc simply shouldn't scale to Tier 4 stuff, and Cyclops isn't Planetary.
Oh you mean like how you were one of the main supporters of Marvel Street Level hero's being 8-A to Low 7-C based on some flimsy Calcs and feats that were easily debunk-able? And how you were able to scale it to a lot of characters and actually got away with it for quite some time? Craziest thing is that a lot of people actually bought it for a while, until Ant finally came in and injected some common sense into that situation and made people realize how absolutely absurd the idea of Street level Marvel hero's being 8-A to Low 7-C is.

This thread is not some malicious attempt to upgrade a bunch of random characters to 4-B. This threads actual main goal obviously seems to be to address the massive amounts of consistency the characters Thing, Grey Hulk, and Namor have had in terms of fighting 4-B characters and why they should scale to them.

These 3 characters being 4-B still makes about 50 million times more sense then a damn 8-A Captain America or 7-C Spider-Man ever will.

Please stop provoking a confrontation with Matthew, especially if it pits our viewpoints against each other. He is only trying to do his job and help out with evaluations.

Yea sorry if that came off as hostile, that's not even my intention. Just trying to make a point, but to be completely fair I've witnessed some occasions where Matthew was being quite snarky to other members on here, even after being told to stop numerous times.

That is not relevant. You still shouldn't be rude or hostile to him.

Ignoring the hostility, there's actually a guy trying to upgrade Marvel Street Tiers through consistent calcs and feats so.

Sorry but it really was nonsensical when you actually sit there and think about it.

This sites purpose is to accurately gauge characters level of power by using their most consistent showing of power to due so, is it not? Now some people will grab like 2 or 3 feats that are of the same level from a character who literally has thousands of feats and decades upon decades of history and they'll have the audacity to claim it's their "consistent level of power", and it's absolutely terrifying how many people on here will just accept shit like that with out questioning it at all and with out using any kind of common sense.

Why do think street level MCU heros are consistantly shown as 9-B to 9-A? (They literally only have like one 8-C calc and it's questionable to begin with)

Why do you think most versions of Spider-Man throughout his Movies, shows, and video games are consistently shown as being 9-A to High 8-C?

Same thing for Street level DC heros

Why do you think most versions of Batman throughout his Movies, shows, and video games are very consistently shown as being 9-B to 9-A?

News Flash, it's because the creators of those movies, shows, and Video games see that level of extreme consistency that those characters have shown throughout their comic history and they simply just emulate those consistent levels of power in the Movies, shows, and video games that they create.

Though to be honest this has little relevancy to this threads topic and is likely derailing. This probably is a discussion for another time.

That should be a completely different discussion, so I'm just going to end it here and now so there's no derailment.

@M actually I've found quite a few feats that could yield Tier 8 for the DC Street Tiers (Surprisingly consistent, If you like I can show you)

@By maybe a Possibly higher rating for Grey and Thing?

That's more what I'm going for. I said I'd be willing for something like "Large Planet level (or whatever rating), possibly Solar System level". I don't see why this is so reasonable—Namor and Super-Skrull are tiered this way for the exact same reason, if not less.

Qawsedf234 agrees with this rating, by the way.

@ByAsura

Didn't you say your self that none of these characters have any valid tier 5 calcs/feats as of right now since they were debunked? So wouldn't giving them High 5-A ratings not make any sense? I'm personally still in favor of just out right listing them as 4-B due to the uncanny amount of consistency these characters have when it comes to fighting 4-B characters.

I mean the 5-A is valid, the discourse is just how consistent it is (I've given some feats that may lend it credibility)

@MJF I didn't say they have no tier 5 calcs, I said they scale to only two. The others are highly questionable.

Again, if we upgrade the Grey Hulk and the Thing, we have to upgrade everybody. It seems very exaggerated and as a bad idea.

No, you'd just have to upgrade some of the 5-A characters. I feel like everyone is blowing this out of proportion to get the thread shut down as quickly as possible.

Seriously, the only scaling issue is Colossus, who really should just be scaled to Magneto, or Cyclops.

Antvasima said:
Again, if we upgrade the Grey Hulk and the Thing, we have to upgrade everybody. It seems very exaggerated and as a bad idea.
Yes. Neither should be anywhere near Tier 4. Even 5-A is pushing. Luckily, The Thing has other feats on the High 6-A to 5-B scale he can be scaled from.

You haven't even debunked anything, let alone provided a real reason why The Thing shouldn't be possibly Solar System level.

Basically, what I'm saying is slow down and address the points with real, compelling evidence before randomly assigning a rating.

Again, that's completely wrong. Not everyone has to be upgraded. I've addressed this.

This is my idea for what the scaling should be

The Thing:

Attack Potency:
Large Planet level (Physically stronger than the Grey Hulk, who destroyed an asteroid twice the size of Earth. Grossly overpowered Umbra, whose individual fusees were unharmed by this), possibly Solar System level (Has consistently competed with the Silver Surfer and Hulk, although he is generally portrayed as inferior physically. Comparable to Namor)

Durability: Large Planet level (Survived Galactus' blast, which was powerful enough to split a planet in two and cleave off its mantle)

Grey Hulk:

Attack Potency:
Large Planet level (Destroyed an asteroid twice the size of Earth), possibly Solar System level (Fought and defeated Abominatio after growing stronger with rage, although he was physically weaker. Almost comparable to Green Hulk and equal to Hercules)

Cyclops (Mister Sinister and Colossus):

Attack Potency:
Likely Town level (Has carved paths into mountains and blasted the top off of one, although he cannot sustain these power levels for long), possibly far higher (According to himself his energy blast at full power can rip a small planet in half)

Yes. Neither should be anywhere near Tier 4. Even 5-A is pushing. Luckily, The Thing has other feats on the High 6-A to 5-B scale he can be scaled from.

Agreed. That seems like a better idea.

Also, the Thing has generally been completely outclassed by the Silver Surfer and the Sentry. He is only allowed to bother the Hulk out of tradition from their early days.

I feel like that statement is just patently false considering the amount of times Thing has fought 4-B beings. The Silver Surfer, Savage Hulk, Red Hulk, Cho Hulk, Hercules, Power Cosmic Doom and Namor.

Back