• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Golden Sun Non-Physical Interaction: Haures isn't that special.

XitSign

He/Him
So, I've been doing a lot of Golden Sun fights lately (cause, you know, I'm a fan and I want to see thier forums a bit more active, as you do), and I noticed something as I've been looking over the pages and trying to make good matchups and pairs.

Haures is listed as the main example of Golden Sun characters interacting with Non-Corporeal beings...but he's not THAT special compared to the rest of thier arsenal.

I'm assuming it comes from Haures' description that says he "sunders darkness", and he proves it during his summon where he literially shatters the darkness he comes out of. Super cool, I won't lie, it's a great summoning sequence.

But almost EVERYTHING in the GS arsenal can interact with the various ghost and spirit and otherworldly foes across the games. Psynergy attacks of all sorts of elements, other summons, Djinn, even just clubbing them with maces and staffs. And most characters have access to Soul Manipulation, which is normally a way to target non-corporeals in the first place.

And, ontop of that, there's really no special situation or lore reason Haures should be considered special. Sure his animation and description are pretty cool, but he's never a required summon to kill some sort intangiable foe the gang was walled by, be it ghosts, lost spirits, souls, ect, hitting them with a sword is just as effective in every senario.

I think we should remove the "(Can harm Non-Corporeal beings with Haures)" section from the GS profiles, to avoid any confusion where people might think that's the only way the GS characters can interact Non-Corpoeral opponents.

Yeah, I don't know why I didn't think about this before whenever we were making the profiles. I've read more about Djinn recently in the encyclopaedia in Dark Dawn and Djinn seem to be portrayed as like embodiments of aspects or ideas regarding elements, and there's even a Jupiter Djinn that's stated to be the spirit of the void. Basically every character should be able to affect non-corporeal beings with everything.

UPDATE: Was checking the profiles, we also list Haures as Non-Pysical interaction for Alex, but the Djinn aren't a part of his standard equipment or his normal abilities. He doesn't have any to our knowlage, he shouldn't able to use Haures at all.

He should keep Non-Physical interaction, since it seems to be a baseline for the verse, but he shouldn't have Haures meantioned at all since he, in normal situations, can't even use it.

the profiles were made long before Non-Physical Interaction was a thing. So we just went with the closest thing we found at the time for non-corporeals, which was cutting darkness itself. But yeah, considering they're able to fight spirits and whatnot it should scale in general.

You literally fight ghosts in the very first dungeon of the very first game. Yes, everyone should have NPI.

Well, seems like a simple fix then, and no one seems opposed, guess we just need to clean up the profiles a little.

Back