• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Goku In Space - Can He, Or Can't He?

Goku's VSBattles page lists one of his weaknesses as not being able to survive in space. This is somewhat confusing for me as other saiyans such as Vegeta and Broly have shown to be perfectly able to survive in a vaccum, and in DBZ: Battle of Gods, Goku can be observed fighting and then talking with Beerus in what looks like the upper limits of the atmosphere.

Then again, Frieza nearly killed Goku on Namek by trying to drown him.

I'm hoping someone can come along and shed light on the situation.

Yes. I truly wish that there is a truth in this. Saiyans cannot survive in the vacuum of space for long unless somebody or something wished them the ability to.

Saiyans can't survive in space, vegeta in space was filler, broly is non-canon, and toriyama stated beerus and goku were in the stratosphere in bog.

Yet, other universal level individuals do breathe in space. You think Whis and Beerus would have made Goku and Vegeta finally able to breathe in space for real, but no. Yet Frieza clearly can and his race can actually do that without complications.

Jucaslucas said:
> Universal level character
> Can't survive in space.

DBS, plz.
I find it extremely stupid as well, i mean that is a serious weakness that even freeza exploited. If any future villains have a brain all they would have to do is blow up the planet and goku and vegeta are done, this weakness needs to be addressed.

Not only it needs to be addressed, but removed entirely. Like get Shenron to wish "They can breathe in space.", and voila, no more cheap stuff. Why didn't people tell somebody this so they can be like "OK, in the next episode or events, Goku or Vegeta have finally been able to survive in space."

Dekoshu said:
Yet, other universal level individuals do breathe in space. You think Whis and Beerus would have made Goku and Vegeta finally able to breathe in space for real, but no. Yet Frieza clearly can and his race can actually do that without complications.
I think that has to do with toriyama wanting his characters, goku and vegeta specifically to be mortal and have weakness. Whis and beerus are not mortal they are gods and as gods they can do things like survive in space while goku can't and can be put down by poison. This is really irritating though you would think at a god level that they are at surviving in space would be easy but nope.

I guess it's made so they won't be too powerful, and will have to be cautious to not blow up the planet.

But yeah, if you're universal and you're fighting someone at your level, the opponent could destroy the planet pretty easiliy . . .

Wasn't he fighting in space against Beerus when they had those universal shockwaves?

Try saying that to other people. They have no excuses whatsoever. As in, unlike the Saiyans, some beings who aren't even from Goku's reality don't suffer from the cheapness of being "mortal" whatsoever. Guess who can actually breathe in space that aren't necessarily aliens.

Jucaslucas said:
I guess it's made so they won't be too powerful, and will have to be cautious to not blow up the planet.
But yeah, if you're universal and you're fighting someone at your level, the opponent could destroy the planet pretty easiliy . . .

Wasn't he fighting in space against Beerus when they had those universal shockwaves?
No he was probably in the stratosphere as that was were they were in bog them seeming to be in space is just toei taking artistic liberties. At best i think they were in the exosphere, while sayains can't survive in space they can survive with little oxygen.

Seriously, you think Whis and Beerus could not only wished Earth 7 back, but wished Goku, Vegeta and their Saiyan children to be able to breathe in the language of the gods, so their enemies can't exploit this anymore.

Celestial Pegasus said:
Saiyans can't survive in space, vegeta in space was filler, broly is non-canon, and toriyama stated beerus and goku were in the stratosphere in bog.
If we want to talk canon, Bardock flew into space in his attempt to kill Frieza - http://static1.comicvine.com/upload...gonballepisodeofbardockova2012screenshot3.jpg

You sure about it being in the stratosphere? From what I can find, the battle looks like it took place at the same altitude as the International Space Station orbits at:

Battle - http://static.comicvine.com/uploads...06/3313105-vlcsnap-2013-09-15-20h45m41s25.png

View from ISS - http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/...fd0ed089ab3d653c1ac1c880f2/space_pintrest.jpg

Even if he wasn't in space, it would be impossible for normal organisms to be able to live, nevermind fight at such extreme atmospheric altitudes.

Celestial Pegasus said:
but wasint that just for the movie? like the 10 7 and 15 statment?

GeneralJuhziz said:
Celestial Pegasus said:
If we want to talk canon, Bardock flew into space in his attempt to kill Frieza - http://static1.comicvine.com/upload...ballepisodeofbardockova2012screenshot3.jpgYou sure about it being in the stratosphere? From what I can find, the battle looks like it took place at the same altitude as the International Space Station orbits at:
Battle - http://static.comicvine.com/uploads...06/3313105-vlcsnap-2013-09-15-20h45m41s25.png

View from ISS - http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/...fd0ed089ab3d653c1ac1c880f2/space_pintrest.jpg

Even if he wasn't in space, it would be impossible for normal organisms to be able to live, nevermind fight at such extreme atmospheric altitudes.
Bardock was also in the upper levels of the atmosphere which makes sense really planet vegeta was larger than earth so it's atmosphere should extend further. Saiyans can survive in extreme atmospheric conditions but they can't survive in space at least not for long. As for the stratosphere are you referring to the movie or anime, Toriyama stated they were in the stratosphere in the movie as for the anime it can be assumed to be the same as even the manga stated they were in the statosphere despite the visuals making it seem like it was either full blown space or the exosphere, either way, Saiyans can't survive in space the scenes of Goku and Beerus being in space is just Toei taking artistic liberties.

Celestial Pegasus said:
GeneralJuhziz said:
Celestial Pegasus said:
Saiyans can't survive in space, Vegeta in space was filler, Broly is non-canon, and Toriyama stated Beerus and Goku were in the stratosphere in Battle of Gods.
If we want to talk canon, Bardock flew into space in his attempt to kill Frieza - http://static1.comicvine.com/upload...ballepisodeofbardockova2012screenshot3.jpgYou sure about it being in the stratosphere? From what I can find, the battle looks like it took place at the same altitude as the International Space Station orbits at:

Bardock was also in the upper levels of the atmosphere which makes sense really planet vegeta was larger than earth so it's atmosphere should extend further. Saiyans can survive in extreme atmospheric conditions but they can't survive in space at least not for long. As for the stratosphere are you referring to the movie or anime, Toriyama stated they were in the stratosphere in the movie as for the anime it can be assumed to be the same as even the manga stated they were in the statosphere despite the the visuals making it seem like it was either full blown space or the exosphere, either way, Saiyans can't survive in space the scenes of Goku and Beerus being in space is just Toei taking artistic liberties.
So you count an animation from a scene in Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep that was just there because it happened in the movie and you use that for the speed of the whole universe but you don't count Goku and Beerus battling in space or at least the exposure.

@Darkmon what? I don't understand what you are saying? Either way, this has been argued many times and the results are the same, Saiyans can't survive in space and it's not changing until Toriyama shows they can.

Celestial Pegasus said:
@Darkmon what? i dont understand what you are saying? either way this has been argued many times and the results are the same, saiyans can't survive in space and it's not changing until toriyama shows they can.
ok

Instances of DB saiyans not being able to survive in space

Vegeta(though his body was never found and was only asumed dead by Bulma) and Frieza's statments (He also seems to belive 5 minutes= 3 hours) plus he said this after Bardock was balls deep in space

Saiyans surviving in space

Kid Goku,BOG Goku (toriyama also said Goku was a 6 and Beerus a 10 in the same interview and now Goku has gained a new form,trained for 3 years+ and multiplied all that by 10 and is way weaker than Beerus so anything Toriyama's says should be taken with the biggest grain of salt possible) and Bardock(His planet is bigger but gravity is also 10X that of Earths so unless the planet is also 10X that of Earth he had no oxigen to breath)

My take on this, Saiyans can survive in space for as long as there lungs have air in them, this explaination doesn't contradict anything stated above.

RadicalMrR said:
Instances of DB saiyans not being able to survive in space
Vegeta(though his body was never found and was only asumed dead by Bulma) and Frieza's statments (He also seems to belive 5 minutes= 3 hours) plus he said this after Bardock was balls deep in space

Saiyans surviving in space

Kid Goku,BOG Goku (toriyama also said Goku was a 6 and Beerus a 10 in the same interview and now Goku has gained a new form,trained for 3 years+ and multiplied all that by 10 and is way weaker than Beerus so anything Toriyama's says should be taken with the biggest grain of salt possible) and Bardock(His planet is bigger but gravity is also 10X that of Earths so unless the planet is also 10X that of Earth he had no oxigen to breath)

My take on this, Saiyans can survive in space for as long as there lungs have air in them, this explaination doesn't contradict anything stated above.
Your explanation makes sense and i have come to that conclusion myself but it's just a theory we need explicit proof of it being the case. I just hope it's addressed in the future.

Their fight is basically within the stratosphere where Beerus and Goku was fighting. To me if they were to go to space without protection, they have to build like a sort of resistance and has to have like a stronger lung capacity so that you won't pass out and suffocate and also quick enough to make it out and retreat back to the planet for some air. Maybe doing like how divers do when they dove in deeper waters by conserving air in your lungs. I guess we just need to wait if the author stated those, but I think it was kinda obvious from what Whis and Beerus says after Frieza blew up the planet.

Eldritch abomination said:
TakatoBlue said:
JarKI0a
Saiyans can't survive in vacuum.

Oh they can, they just can't breathe
They can't survive in space, there is no such thing as breathing in space anyway because there is nothing to breath, those who can survive in space simply have no need to breath or they are able to store oxygen/ hold their breath for a long time which should be impossible irl anyway as if you tried that your lungs would probably explode but as it's fiction and their bodies are durable they can survive it. Saiyans don't meet those criterias, at least it can't be proven that they do.

Celestial Pegasus said:
Eldritch abomination said:
TakatoBlue said:
JarKI0a
Saiyans can't survive in vacuum.

Oh they can, they just can't breathe
They can't survive in space, there is no such thing as breathing in space anyway because there is nothing to breath, those who can survive in space simply have no need to breath or they are able to store oxygen/ hold their breath for a long time which should be impossible irl anyway as if you tried that your lungs would probably explode but as it's fiction and their bodies are durable they can survive it. Saiyans don't meet those criterias, at least it can't be proven that they do.
I was referring to "Saiyans can't survive a vacuum" how they can >survive in a vacuum< But they can't breathe <not breathing in space but having no oxygen to breathe< There bodies can handle a vacuum.

I get what your saying but to me survivng in space counts has actually being able to survive being unable to breath in space which really just means not being able to survive without oxygen or being able to store it internally, counts has being unable to survive in space to me. Have saiyans even been shown or stated to has you put it survive in space has their bodies can handle it but be unable to breath? I dont remember that distinction ever being made, it's just a theory (which i think could be plausible) but there just isn't any confirmation which is what we need to solve this issue.

Celestial Pegasus said:
I get what your saying but to me survivng in space counts has actually being able to survive being unable to breath in space which really just means not being able to survive without oxygen or being able to store it internally, counts has being unable to survive in space to me. Have saiyans even been shown or stated to, has you survive in space has their bodies can handle it but be unable to breath? I dont remember that distinction ever being made, it's just a theory (which i think could be plausible) but there just isn't any confirmation which is what we need to solve this issue.
Well, they can hold their breath for a long time....But yeah I get what you mean.

It's a pretty stupid weakness at this point, if Goku in the next arc reaches tier 2 and STILL can't survive in space...

They REALLY need to cover that weakness, it makes them too susceptible, even if they can halt being sent flying with their ki, they're pretty much screwed when someone with huge knockback like Boros kicks them into outer space, the whole "mortality" deal is really starting to get on my nerves

Master Xar said:
It's a pretty stupid weakness at this point, if Goku in the next arc reaches tier 2 and STILL can't survive in space...
They REALLY need to cover that weakness, it makes them too susceptible, even if they can halt being sent flying with their ki, they're pretty much screwed when someone with huge knockback like Boros kicks them into outer space, the whole "mortality" deal is really starting to get on my nerves
Agree i know toriyama wants his heros to have weaknesses but this is a really stupid one to be having at this point where they can destroy the universe but are screwed if a planet level character decides to destroy the planet or bfr them to space.

They could probably hold thier breath for long periods of time, however they would eventually suffocate. In reality someone would suffocate instantly in space due to the fact that all the air would flow out of their bodies due to a diffusion effect

If they were in that kind of situation, could they project an energy shield or energy field so that they can survive almost long enough with air? Either like a sphere as Broly did in the film or as an armor in the similar manner like how Vegito does when he's inside Buu.

SunWukong1986 said:
If they were in that kind of situation, could they project an energy shield or energy field so that they can survive almost long enough with air? Either like a sphere as Broly did in the film or as an armor in the similar manner like how Vegito does when he's inside Buu.
Probably but it was never shown outside of Broly. Except for Cell, he actually did create an energy barrier against Goku.

And let's not pull that "non-canon" term again, please. We don't need to see it on every thread of Dragon Ball. The problem is that what would happen if they break the barrier? Wouldn't the problem resume? We're talking about being able to survive in space completely unaided by space suits and barriers, unless they're able to attack while in a barrier.

Back