• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
People say it's because it was added just for nostalgia purposes and that it was only a ki blast. I disagree however, Gogeta smiled after he hit Broly with his soul punisher, which is basically showing "He ain't a bad guy!"

-The attack's design is literally the same as Toei Gogeta's one.

-Gogeta smiles after Broly resists the attack, because it confirmed to him that Broly was a good guy after all.

The attack was meant to be the same one from M12 and for that I suggest Gogeta gets added to his profile possibly Soul Manipulation. It would be stupid to assume this attack was a simple Ki blast after all, it's clear this was meant to be a SM attack.

Oh, and if this somehow gets accepted I suggest to add a weakness to the attack itself instead of a resistance to Broly.

I mean, the attack did nothing because the person it was landed to was a pure hearted person.

The attack based on design and Gogeta's smile after seeing Broly was indeed pure hearted strongly suggest it was the same as the one from Movie 12. That attack wasn't meant to be your average Ki Blast else it would have had the average blue blast color ovo.

Also not sure why Gogeta would've smiled at Broly if that Ki Blast didn't have any other meaning. I mean, Gogeta should be grinning from ear to ear throughout the entire fight rather than "smug" smile, it was only during Soul Punisher did it get emphasized he was smiling.

"Pure hearted" is such an ambiguos term in DB. Also, don't think that means anything, one can say than that attack was simply more powerful raw power-wise than the average blast (that at the end doesn't matter, cuz people will scale to Broly's durability, and then scale his durability to Gogeta's conventional attacks, and then the final attack will be just as powerful as the average blast).

I don't think "Pure of Heart" was actually ever actually mentioned? I can't find any Daizenshuu stuff that says you need to be pure of heart to survive it, just that it destroys evil (Hence why that guy Janemba possessed survived even though he's definitely not pure).

So Soul Punisher not instantly lolwrecking Broly means that he's a good person, not that they're Pure of Heart.

Do we know that though? All we know was that Broly lost the final confrontation- just because Chilai (The girl, I dunno) feared Broly would die doesn't mean that he would've, especially since she can't sense power levels and ki to determine if Broly would actually die.

We've seen other people get easily overpowered and come out very much harmed but very much not dead (Vegeta, anyone?)

Akreious said:
I don't think "Pure of Heart" was actually ever actually mentioned? I can't find any Daizenshuu stuff that says you need to be pure of heart to survive it, just that it destroys evil (Hence why that guy Janemba possessed survived even though he's definitely not pure).
So Soul Punisher not instantly lolwrecking Broly means that he's a good person, not that they're Pure of Heart.
IIRC Broly was stated to be Pure of Heart that's why I brought that up, but well. Gogeta's attack just purifies/destroys all evil of the person (if they have) and that's it.

Yeah, that would confirm that "pure of heart" do not really means anything. I'm sure that if that attack have other effect more than causing damage it would have been stated in the novel.

But... Pure of Heart was never a part of our argument...? Or rather, specifically, has no bearing on Soul Punisher's theoretical effectiveness (Being that Broly is a good person and not evil, therefore not wrecking his soul)

KKx4 Goku completely overpowering his own Galick Gun :p

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of too but didn't want to assume. I know it overpowered Vegeta and he lived but I feel like there's a way bigger gap between Gogeta and Broly. Do you think he would've survived that Kamehameha?

Still saying pure of heart cuz Omega mention it; but as I said, if want to confirm than the Soul Punisher does something aside of kaboom, I would recommend checking the novel.

DragonEmperor23 said:
KKx4 Goku completely overpowering his own Galick Gun :p
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of too but didn't want to assume. I know it overpowered Vegeta and he lived but I feel like there's a way bigger gap between Gogeta and Broly. Do you think he would've survived that Kamehameha?
There's also SS Goku's final attack against Freeza where Freeza's torso is noticeably more damaged but still largely intact despite Goku at that point in time being massively more powerful.

Yes, I think Broly would've survived, although probably hospitalized and even if he was active, much like Vegeta, he would've been far too weak to really do anything against Gogeta.

Plus Goku (And therefore Gogeta) killing an innocent person who's only in a blind rage and unintentionally damaging everything isn't very IC of him at this point in time- biggest example is giving Freeza a 2nd chance despite being Space Hitler or wishing Buu would come back as a kind being despite Buu being the embodiment of Space Genocide. In this case, Gogeta is MASSIVELY stronger than Broly and Broly was completely overpowered in the end so it'd make little sense for Gogeta to try and... kill Broly? Despite a stronger God Bind being a very viable option followed up by KO?

Akreious said:
There's also SS Goku's final attack against Freeza where Freeza's torso is noticeably more damaged but still largely intact despite Goku at that point in time being massively more powerful.

Yes, I think Broly would've survived, although probably hospitalized and even if he was active, much like Vegeta, he would've been far too weak to really do anything against Gogeta.

Plus Goku (And therefore Gogeta) killing an innocent person who's only in a blind rage and unintentionally damaging everything isn't very IC of him at this point in time- biggest example is giving Freeza a 2nd chance despite being Space Hitler or wishing Buu would come back as a kind being despite Buu being the embodiment of Space Genocide. In this case, Gogeta is MASSIVELY stronger than Broly and Broly was completely overpowered in the end so it'd make little sense for Gogeta to try and... kill Broly? Despite a stronger God Bind being a very viable option followed up by KO?
Fair.

Yeah, I was thinking that it would be very out of character and not needed, it just looked like Gogeta was trying to kill him.

I mean Gogeta has half vegeta obviously he's not gonna go easy on him. And after using Soul Punisher his facial expression changed in relief as he himself wasn't sure what would have happened.

Aside from bringing non-canon stuff into this which is disregarded for obvious reasons, what is the evidence of soul manipulation for Gogeta? In canon?

DragonEmperor23 said:
I mean if this is the case then that means Gogeta tried to kill Broly despite knowing he was a good person.
Gogeta had to kill him, if he left Broly alive he would just keep on rampaging and destroy Earth

There's literally nothing implying both attacks do the same. They LOOK the same, but we can say the same about tons of things regarding the Broly movie in general.

So I have a question. If not the movie but other official dragon ball media, like a video game, tells us that this is exactly Stardust Breaker, is that enough?

Back