• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got permission from Antvasima to make this tread.

Resistance to All of Hades’ Powers + Curse Manipulation [Zeus]

Zeus has this because the Claws of Hades are totally ineffective against him. Much like Kratos’ soul absorption resistance, this is completely fine. But of course, we have no reason to believe this encompasses literally every single ability Hades has. What’s worse is that this isn’t even Hades himself, but rather a tool he once used that doesn’t inherently share his powers. Hades can curse people with eternal slumber, but the Claws of Hades have no such property, nor is there any indication of that property being used against Zeus, nor is there an indication of him resisting it. Layers upon layers of leaps in logic, kill this loathsome thing with fire.

Flames of Olympus [Zeus]

Speaking of killing things with fire. Zeus currently has the Flames of Olympus as standard equipment, which also gives him access to all of its hax. However, nothing in the series ever indicates that Zeus has the flames in his possession or that he can call upon them at will. It’s worth noting that the edit that gave him the flames as standard equipment was one of many unauthorized edits made on his profile, so no source was ever given for this claim. While his sword is scorched with its flames, that doesn’t mean the sword itself inherits the flame’s properties; All swords are scorched with some kind of flame in the process of being forged, but they don’t inherit any fire-manipulating properties as a result.

Illusion Negation/Resistance to Illusion Creation & Perception Manipulation [Greel Godhood]

All Greek gods are purported to have the ability to see through illusions based on three feats; A statement saying that one must “see what the gods see” to bypass an invisible passage, Helios’ light revealing paths obscured by illusions, and Helios’ light decoding indecipherable murals. The first one isn’t an “illusion”, for starters; Seeing invisible things is an enhanced senses feat. Even ignoring that, there’s a glaring logical problem here. Kratos can’t see this passage at all, even though GoW 3 takes place during his years of godhood. If this were a universal trait of gods, then Kratos could see through it no problem, yet he’s still stumped by this particular “illusion”.

The other two feats have similar problems. They are both things Kratos cannot do himself, and must rely on the light of Helios for. Again, he’s a god, so if all gods can just do this innately, then that presents a massive contradiction. Scaling every single god to the effects of Helios’ light is just a silly premise to begin with, anyways.

All gods would lose these abilities, save for Helios. He should also lose resistance to perception manipulation though, because none of the feats listed above could be described as manipulating anybody’s senses.

Resistance to Soul Manipulation [Baldur]

Baldur has this because the curse that makes him immortal would likely extend to the Light of Alfheim, which subsumes and destroys souls. However, he also has High-Godly Regeneration… from his soul getting destroyed by the Light of Alfheim and then regenerating. These can’t be both true at the same time. If he resists soulhax, he wouldn’t need to regenerate. If he regenerated his soul after it was destroyed, he doesn’t resist soulhax. Since his first fight with Kratos shows he can be wounded and even killed (temporarily, at least), regeneration seems like the obvious choice here.

Resistance to Death Manipulation [Baldur]

Baldur has this because “death has no power over him”. This is clearly false, because Kratos can kill him just fine (not even with some kind of special death hax). The problem isn’t killing Baldur; The problem is making him stay dead.

Magic Negation & Illusion Negation [Demigod Kratos]

Kratos has this with the Eyes of Truth, which can let him see through illusions. This does not nullify anybody’s powers, nor does it negate magic in general (it only applies to illusions). Sometimes a resistance can just be a resistance.

Resistance to Ice Manipulation [Demigod Kratos]

Kratos has this from surviving attacks from the Ice Talos enemies in Ascension. The justification implies these attacks should be capable of freezing Kratos solid, but there’s no indication of that. They only have three attacks - A series of hammer slams that create ice spikes in their wake, a breath attack(?) that does the same, and a barrier that temporarily makes them immune to harm. The third one isn’t something Kratos can “resist”, and the former two are a matter of blunt force trauma; If I pick up an icicle, chuck it at someone, and they survive, would they have “resistance to ice manipulation”?

The second reason is from Kratos withstanding Typhon’s breath in the games. Visually, it looks cold, and Typhon can manipulate ice, but the game doesn’t really do anything to suggest it’d be anything more than a blast of cold air (like say, freezing a pool of water, or acting as a hazard Kratos can toss enemies into in order to freeze them solid). The context for this being ice manipulation comes from the novelization, which does say Typhon’s breath flash freezes whatever it touches… in the very same sentence it says Kratos would be instantly killed by such an attack. Obviously, the novels are secondary canon, so you can’t use this. If you gave the novels precedence, then the resistance would be invalid because Kratos would explicitly die. If you gave the games precedence, then the resistance would be invalid because the only thing saying Typhon’s breath flash-freezes blatantly contradicts the games.

I think the feat from the games would probably be resistance to cold temperatures, but Kratos is already shirtless in an ice cave when the feat happens so it’s probably a bit redundant.

Also, lol, lmao even
Demigod & Norse Key Scaling [Kratos]

Kratos’ demigod key has several feats from the Norse GoW games listed. This is because, as the page describes it, Norse Kratos is “his Demigod self with god-level strength”. This is not entirely unreasonable by itself, but it becomes unreasonable when you look at Kratos’ Norse key, which says the following:

All of his Innate God abilities and powers, including:

So Norse Kratos is demigod Kratos, but gets all of god Kratos’ powers? That’s extremely contradictory; He can’t be a demigod and a god simultaneously, after all. If Kratos is still a god and has access to his powers as a god during the events of 2018/Ragnarok, then his demigod key has no business scaling to any of his Norse self’s feats. Conversely, if he legitimately lost his godhood, then his demigod key would scale to his Norse self, but his Norse key wouldn’t get any of the powers from his god key. Seeing as much of the Norse series still treats Kratos as a god - like the Lady of the Forge using Kratos’ blood as “the blood of a god” - then all his Norse stuff should be removed from his Demigod key.

Staff Agreement:

Mr. Bambu

Planck69(agree with everything except the past point)

Deagonx

Last edited:
Oh boy, time for the sequel.
19343.gif

Agreeing for now.

I've fixed the tags.

I'm reasonably certain I've read these before already. In any case, I agreed then, I still do now. I have little else to say on the matter.

just stripe tier 1 and conceptual manip away from GOW at this point

this seems very good, put me in agree

That time of the month again I see.
I got permission from Antvasima to make this tread.

Resistance to All of Hades’ Powers + Curse Manipulation [Zeus]

Zeus has this because the Claws of Hades are totally ineffective against him. Much like Kratos’ soul absorption resistance, this is completely fine. But of course, we have no reason to believe this encompasses literally every single ability Hades has. What’s worse is that this isn’t even Hades himself, but rather a tool he once used that doesn’t inherently share his powers. Hades can curse people with eternal slumber, but the Claws of Hades have no such property, nor is there any indication of that property being used against Zeus, nor is there an indication of him resisting it. Layers upon layers of leaps in logic, kill this loathsome thing with fire.
I don't mind removing the non-Claw abilities from his resistances.
Flames of Olympus [Zeus]

Speaking of killing things with fire. Zeus currently has the Flames of Olympus as standard equipment, which also gives him access to all of its hax. However, nothing in the series ever indicates that Zeus has the flames in his possession or that he can call upon them at will. It’s worth noting that the edit that gave him the flames as standard equipment was one of many unauthorized edits made on his profile, so no source was ever given for this claim. While his sword is scorched with its flames, that doesn’t mean the sword itself inherits the flame’s properties; All swords are scorched with some kind of flame in the process of being forged, but they don’t inherit any fire-manipulating properties as a result.
Sure.
Illusion Negation/Resistance to Illusion Creation & Perception Manipulation [Greel Godhood]

All Greek gods are purported to have the ability to see through illusions based on three feats; A statement saying that one must “see what the gods see” to bypass an invisible passage, Helios’ light revealing paths obscured by illusions, and Helios’ light decoding indecipherable murals. The first one isn’t an “illusion”, for starters; Seeing invisible things is an enhanced senses feat. Even ignoring that, there’s a glaring logical problem here. Kratos can’t see this passage at all, even though GoW 3 takes place during his years of godhood. If this were a universal trait of gods, then Kratos could see through it no problem, yet he’s still stumped by this particular “illusion”.

The other two feats have similar problems. They are both things Kratos cannot do himself, and must rely on the light of Helios for. Again, he’s a god, so if all gods can just do this innately, then that presents a massive contradiction. Scaling every single god to the effects of Helios’ light is just a silly premise to begin with, anyways.
He maintains his godly powers, but not his godhead, so he's not in the same situation as the other gods. So Kratos himself would lose it but using him as an counter-example to all the gods doesn't make sense here. In fact, aside from that, it'd make no sense either, given how much the game makes clear that this is something the gods can see, and use to see through their own murals.

Don't mind Helios losing Perception Manipulation though.
Resistance to Soul Manipulation [Baldur]

Baldur has this because the curse that makes him immortal would likely extend to the Light of Alfheim, which subsumes and destroys souls. However, he also has High-Godly Regeneration… from his soul getting destroyed by the Light of Alfheim and then regenerating. These can’t be both true at the same time. If he resists soulhax, he wouldn’t need to regenerate. If he regenerated his soul after it was destroyed, he doesn’t resist soulhax. Since his first fight with Kratos shows he can be wounded and even killed (temporarily, at least), regeneration seems like the obvious choice here.
I mean, sure I suppose. Surprised he still kept this.

Baldur has this because “death has no power over him”. This is clearly false, because Kratos can kill him just fine (not even with some kind of special death hax). The problem isn’t killing Baldur; The problem is making him stay dead.
Baldur isn't dead in this instance nor is he ever confirmed as such, his neck is just snapped (I'd even bring up the out-of-bounds image but that's not necessary here). In fact, the entirety of the game has him referred to as unkillable or the Man Who Cannot Be Killed (the latter by Mimir of all people).

I don't mind this going away cause the statement refers to his endless regeneration and curse anyways. The reasoning is just wrong.

Kratos has this with the Eyes of Truth, which can let him see through illusions. This does not nullify anybody’s powers, nor does it negate magic in general (it only applies to illusions). Sometimes a resistance can just be a resistance.
....Except we do see him use them to nullify the illusion barriers Tisiphone conjures. It's not just illusions that the Eyes see through.

Kratos has this from surviving attacks from the Ice Talos enemies in Ascension. The justification implies these attacks should be capable of freezing Kratos solid, but there’s no indication of that. They only have three attacks - A series of hammer slams that create ice spikes in their wake, a breath attack(?) that does the same, and a barrier that temporarily makes them immune to harm. The third one isn’t something Kratos can “resist”, and the former two are a matter of blunt force trauma; If I pick up an icicle, chuck it at someone, and they survive, would they have “resistance to ice manipulation”?
I'd just replace this with the him breaking out of being frozen solid during Ghost of Sparta.
The second reason is from Kratos withstanding Typhon’s breath in the games. Visually, it looks cold, and Typhon can manipulate ice, but the game doesn’t really do anything to suggest it’d be anything more than a blast of cold air (like say, freezing a pool of water, or acting as a hazard Kratos can toss enemies into in order to freeze them solid). The context for this being ice manipulation comes from the novelization, which does say Typhon’s breath flash freezes whatever it touches… in the very same sentence it says Kratos would be instantly killed by such an attack. Obviously, the novels are secondary canon, so you can’t use this. If you gave the novels precedence, then the resistance would be invalid because Kratos would explicitly die. If you gave the games precedence, then the resistance would be invalid because the only thing saying Typhon’s breath flash-freezes blatantly contradicts the games.

I think the feat from the games would probably be resistance to cold temperatures, but Kratos is already shirtless in an ice cave when the feat happens so it’s probably a bit redundant.

Also, lol, lmao even
....This is a QTE fail, why would it be canon given he normally breaks out of being frozen? By this logic, Kratos never beats the Sisters of Fate either or never overcomes Castor and Pollux.
Demigod & Norse Key Scaling [Kratos]

Kratos’ demigod key has several feats from the Norse GoW games listed. This is because, as the page describes it, Norse Kratos is “his Demigod self with god-level strength”. This is not entirely unreasonable by itself, but it becomes unreasonable when you look at Kratos’ Norse key, which says the following:

All of his Innate God abilities and powers, including:

So Norse Kratos is demigod Kratos, but gets all of god Kratos’ powers? That’s extremely contradictory; He can’t be a demigod and a god simultaneously, after all. If Kratos is still a god and has access to his powers as a god during the events of 2018/Ragnarok, then his demigod key has no business scaling to any of his Norse self’s feats. Conversely, if he legitimately lost his godhood, then his demigod key would scale to his Norse self, but his Norse key wouldn’t get any of the powers from his god key. Seeing as much of the Norse series still treats Kratos as a god - like the Lady of the Forge using Kratos’ blood as “the blood of a god” - then all his Norse stuff should be removed from his Demigod key.
Neutral to this. All of the Norse showcases in his Demigod key are support of abilities he already has regardless rather than new ones so it doesn't quite matter as much. But he shouldn't have his God powers in the Norse key, yeah. He's still part mortal and godhood in the Norse lands is a lot more nebulous than Greece (Thor isn't even fully Aesir for instance), not to mention he specifically can't call upon them anymore.

....This is a QTE fail, why would it be canon given he normally breaks out of being frozen?
Profile uses the novel to say its Ice Manipulation, with the same novel saying it would have killed and one shot Kratos if it landed

How is that an resistance, if he has other resistances maybe but this one sucks rn

Profile uses the novel to say its Ice Manipulation, with the same novel saying it would have killed and one shot Kratos if it landed

How is that an resistance, if he has other resistances maybe but this one sucks rn
....Yeah, hence why I said it can use the in-game footage and didn't comment on the novel stuff.

That time of the month again I see.

I don't mind removing the non-Claw abilities from his resistances.

Sure.

He maintains his godly powers, but not his godhead, so he's not in the same situation as the other gods. So Kratos himself would lose it but using him as an counter-example to all the gods doesn't make sense here. In fact, aside from that, it'd make no sense either, given how much the game makes clear that this is something the gods can see, and use to see through their own murals.

Don't mind Helios losing Perception Manipulation though.

I mean, sure I suppose. Surprised he still kept this.

Baldur isn't dead in this instance nor is he ever confirmed as such, his neck is just snapped (I'd even bring up the out-of-bounds image but that's not necessary here). In fact, the entirety of the game has him referred to as unkillable or the Man Who Cannot Be Killed (the latter by Mimir of all people).

I don't mind this going away cause the statement refers to his endless regeneration and curse anyways. The reasoning is just wrong.

....Except we do see him use them to nullify the illusion barriers Tisiphone conjures. It's not just illusions that the Eyes see through.

I'd just replace this with the him breaking out of being frozen solid during Ghost of Sparta.

....This is a QTE fail, why would it be canon given he normally breaks out of being frozen? By this logic, Kratos never beats the Sisters of Fate either or never overcomes Castor and Pollux.

Neutral to this. All of the Norse showcases in his Demigod key are support of abilities he already has regardless rather than new ones so it doesn't quite matter as much. But he shouldn't have his God powers in the Norse key, yeah. He's still part mortal and godhood in the Norse lands is a lot more nebulous than Greece (Thor isn't even fully Aesir for instance), not to mention he specifically can't call upon them anymore.
Alright smaller verses only need 2 staff agreements right?

Bambu agrees with the thread and I believe you have a few things you’re neutral on.
I disagree with chunks of the OP though. Illusion Negation removal for eyes, for Olympians, and Ice Manipulation Resistance removal. I'm neutral on the last part about the innate powers.

I'd note the Claws thing should give Zeus resistance to Poison/Acid, Fire and the Siren stuff too since he can endure the powers of these summoned creatures. But yeah everything else is good to be removed imo

I'd note the Claws thing should give Zeus resistance to Poison/Acid, Fire and the Siren stuff too since he can endure the powers of these summoned creatures. But yeah everything else is good to be removed imo
Exactly what I meant, yeah.

I mostly agree, but wanted to comment on a few things quickly.

All gods would lose these abilities, save for Helios. He should also lose resistance to perception manipulation though, because none of the feats listed above could be described as manipulating anybody’s senses.
Planck69 did mention the example from the novels of Kratos regaining the powers of his godhead, but not the godhead itself. I do want to include that this isn't the only proof we get that Kratos isn't a god anymore. I'm thinking specifically of the Hyperion Gate in Hephaestus' Forge in God of War 3, which Kratos cannot use until he absorbs Hades' soul. He's not a god, therefore, he doesn't have a god's soul. That being said, if Kratos still can't see through the illusions in God of War 3 after doing so, then I apologize, it's been a long time since I last played through it!

I agree that this should be removed (Freya's talking about his magical invulnerability, not a literal deal with death), but do want to comment on this. Kratos doesn't kill Baldur in their initial fight. Kratos breaks his neck, temporarily paralyzing him. Baldur's blessed with invulnerability to all threats, physical or magical, and to my knowledge, that means that he can't feel or be damaged by anything (with some workarounds, such as the neck break, causing temporary problems), but can't be returned from the dead. Interestingly enough, there is a conversation about Freya doing for Baldur what she did for Mimir in God of War 2018, so I'd say even the hypothetical alternative reanimation option is off the table when it comes to Baldur.

I agree with what Planck posted on this one. I think Kratos dispelling those barriers with the eyes would reasonably count as illusion negation. Unless the claim is that he wouldn't reasonably get general magic negation from this, which I'd agree with, but then I don't think Illusion Negation is being contested.

I do want to comment on this in particular, because it doesn't include some vital information from the God of War II novelization which might help explain Kratos' resistance to freezing/ice manipulation. (I'm not sure if there are scans for this floating around out there, and I'm trying to keep the quotes short, I don't want to post too much. The book is very much worth buying and reading!) Kratos fights Typhon in Chapter 16 of the novel (all of the scans I'm posting come from that chapter, just in case Imgur... does its thing), and unlike the games, wherein Kratos is able to move around normally, the novel consistently emphasizes that Kratos is in danger of freezing. Interestingly enough, Kratos is "engulfed" with one of Typhon's freezing breaths earlier than the flash freezing passage quoted in your post (on page 106 of the Kindle version of the God of War II novelization, Kratos considering being flash-frozen occurs on page 115), so I think it might just be a proximity thing, as Kratos would be taking the breath from much closer to Typhon than in the previous example.

Importantly, during this section, Kratos ends Prometheus' suffering by killing him with the Fires of Olympus (referred to as the "Flames of Perdition" in the novel, weirdly enough). From this, Kratos gains the Rage of the Titans (in the novel, Prometheus thanks him and tells him what it's called, in the games, Gaia does it, no idea why it's different), and in the novels, this explicitly melts the ice that had formed on Kratos' skin. So I think you could keep this and use the novels, so long as you mentioned that he gained this resistance from obtaining the Rage of the Titans. (Alternatively, I suppose you could argue that the spell gave him a rush of power which acted as a one time burst of heat, but while Kratos doesn't spend a lot of time fighting Typhon after this, he's never worried about or affected by the cold there again.)

Other than that, I think the rest of it's agreeable! Unless there's something I missed, of course.

Last edited:
To be clear, I don't mind it being labelled as (Via Helios' Head) in regards to Kratos but I do agree that he shouldn't have those abilities innately. Regardless of his true state, it's clear that he's not the same as other Olympians in some regards, like this one.

To point out what @Dammerung0858] said.

One every Olympian scaling to the light of Helios is silly especially if they’ve never interacted with them.

Two being able to see an invisible path is simply enhanced senses not illusion negation

Lastly the interpretation involving Baldur would still be very wrong. Freya reanimated Mmir giving him form of type 7 immortality the whole reason he’s not concerned with death is because he’s already dead that’s not the best example to give. Not that it would really matter Freya was not talking about death literally in this case rather that since she’s immortal death has no power over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back