• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Goblin Slayer hunts someThing new. (Grace)

Goblin Slayer finds a collapsed girl, hurt and possibly dying. Like he did with the witch apprentice, he goes to put the girl out of her misery, or save her if he thinks she can survive.

Bam, it turns out it's the Thing and now that the Thing is near him, he is assimilated via spraying or tendrils. The Thing is not unfamiliar to wounded gazelle gambits; it puts the guard of others down. It wouldn't certainly replicate a perfectly healthy human.

Small clarification, a BIG thing shows a rather remarkable amount of intelligence. Small Things are another issue entirely. Not to mention Goblin Slayer is not... really normal, always on watch and, for lack of better word, always paranoid. There's a reason he doesn't go without helmet even inside densely populated and protected cities. If a human is acting suspiciously, don't expect him to hesitate or holdback because "hummie".

A wounded girl left by herself and no goblins or anything nearby, despite being so wounded she apparently can't even escape? That's gonna set off an alarm, if not trap then something is off because goblins would have killed her or taken her away already.

I am aware, I am more speaking for the fact the situation is pure odd and makes no sense. An injured woman is either trapped and getting used, or she straight up died and they discarded her. A man would have no reason to be there either as Goblins don't kidnap man.

What you don't seem to get is that the Thing will exactly replicate those situations. Since it has already assimilated Goblins, it knows their modus operandi. Since it has already assimilated humans, it knows their modus operandi. What we used was just an example; if the Thing assimilated a previously chained/kidnapped woman, it would exactly use that against the Goblin Slayer. Also I don't know where you even got from that the Thing would assimilate a man, unless there was already one in the Goblin Cave. The Thing can't recreate living beings out of nothing.

The most effective psychological weapon for a Thing is the fact that unless it is being directly threatened and knows it won't survive/it can kill the opponent, its behavior perfectly replicates that of the organism it assimilates. The replicated humans LITERALLY don't have any tells to their behavior and that's what makes them more dangerous. It's only when a Thing KNOWS there's no chance to survive for it or the opponent that it will attack. It will bid its time, work towards its objective on the meanwhile and attack when it has the biggest chance to assimilate. The Thing is not a wild animal, it's incredibly smart given it has already assimilated humans. Unless you mean to tell me that the Goblin Slayer would magically know there's something wrong with the kidnapped girls, and set them on fire.

There was never any proposed gender for what Thing had assimilated, merely fodder humans. We aren't even assuming it has eaten goblins, and even if it did rarely is anything more than a novice party sent and is quite common for the first or second to end up dead, only the third succeeding. He'd know Goblin tricks, but Goblins rarely, if ever as GS is the only one shown, meet anyone that knows about and reacts to their tactics. GS also doesn't act like most adventurers, relying on any memories if we assume it has consumed Goblins is to it's detriment.

I never denied this is the case, read what I wrote. The situation is not congreous with whatever scenario related to goblins GS knows about. The only way the Thing could craft an scenario to perfectly fool him would be assimilating someone close enough to him to know his patterns. Not to mention GS is the same always, dry and direct in tone and behavior. There's no conventional cues for the Thing to know if he's fooled with a full mask and a monotone voice that is level at all times.

I think you misunderstand the point. The point is that The Thing only needs one moment or surprise attack. It doesn't need Goblin Slayer to smooch them on the lips, it just needs him to not kill them. A human could easily run out of the cave, crying and weeping, falling into the Goblin Slayer's arms. Before he pushes her away, her face splits open and sprays Goblin Slayer's entire face. And that's just a plan I came up with in 2 minutes!

That's if he even allows it. He's not unfeeling, but he's no saint. And he would still need to be sprayed directly in the face for to get anywhere inside his helmet. The Thing always transforms first for that and that's not exactly a small cue.

Not to mention the Things are waiting inside because the other human thing got divided into parts to catch him, and Slayer is gonna come into a dark crevice with a torch.

Thing can transform in an instant. See the defibrillator guy. Thing doesn't need to take time to transform.

And yes, they are divided and hiding.

You have shown no reason why Thing's tactics would fail.

Other than just saying "Goblin slayer would somehow know this otherwise unassuming girl/prisoner is actually an assimilating alien from space that can only be defeated by being burned down to the last cell, AND the Thing wouldn't ambush him thanks to the numbers advantage, AND, the Thing wouldn't absorb enough mass to overpower him AND the Thing spray wouldn't work because his armor somehow covers his mouth (?), AND the Thing tendrils and tentacles would be unable to strip him down, AND Goblin Slayer would know how to counter this alien that was only defeated by a flamethrower specifically because the Antarctica slowed it down and McReady had access to computer simulations and biological tests".

There's wank and there's this. I know Goblin Slayer is a badass, but the Thing is just way too much for him.

Mostly agree, but the amount of bymass it would need to actually overpower GB is quiet a bit above what has been given.

And he specifically is informed that the monsters seem afraid of fire too.

Right. He's given that much. But what he isn't given:

-The Thing isn't a goblin or monster he's fought before by any means. Not even close.

-Can split apart and become very small.

-Can disguise as other organisms.

-Can infect people with just the slightest opening.

-Has incredible Regenerationn abilities.

-Needs to be burnt down to the very last cell.

-Possesses quick and very lethal ranged attacks.

I doubt Goblin Slayer can deal with all of these, and any of these can lead to his death.

If you really need to call it wank, I am losing ability to take you serious. I merely said that there's no way Goblin Slayer won't be alert in this situation with the knowledge the Thing has available to make any scenario that it wants, that it has no real cues to know when it even has GS's guard down, and that in a dark place like this he's already gonna come with a torch light up. When I start telling you how he knows perfectly there's mini-Things hidden and he knows the human isn't an human because whatever, then you have a point.

I really don't care about the human, disguised Thing, I still feel the small ones are the biggest danger because getting rid of a bunch of small targets with a bigger one so close by is damn risky and he has no clue his best chance might as well be to light himself on fire on the first second he thinks multiple ones are on him.

I'll go Thing FRA, GS gets thinged

Back