• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Goblin Slayer hunts someThing new. (Grace)

This was suggested in one of my previous Thing matches, so let's see what this brings. I warn you all, I've no prior knowledge on Goblin Slayer so hopefully this scenario works out alright.

The Goblin Slayer has heard rumors of a new species of goblin that appears to be immune to all conventional forms of harm but also seems to be afraid of fire. The Goblin Slayer, putting two and two togather, prepares for the hunt by collecting several skins of a flammable liquid and a few torches in addition to his usual equipment. Goboslayer has tracked the Thing to a large winding crevice between two mountains. The crevice is open to the sky

The Thing has assimilated two fodder humans one of which is acting as a distraction while the other is dividing into about a half dozen smaller forms and is hiding in various cracks and outcrops around the crevice.

I think that's it. Let me know if anything needs changing or whatever. Speed Equalized.

The Thing

Goblin Slayer

I would have voted, but the pun in the OP is horrible enough to not do so.

To be honest tough, those should be in his standard equipment.

Gonna point out he would likely try to use smoke to force the ting out first things first.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
I would have voted, but the pun in the OP is horrible enough to not do so.
To be honest tough, those should be in his standard equipment.

Gonna point out he would likely try to use smoke to force the ting out first things first.
Which would accomplish nothing since the Thing needs nither eyes nor lungs to survive

I think The Thing can take this through using a human to lure Goblin Slayer into a trap. I doubt the Goblin Slayer would suspect a random human without info on it's parasitic abilities, would come in expecting a normal fight, only for a bunch of Mini-Things to drop on him and start trying to creep through his armor through any given crack or crevice. However, someone who knows more about GB's mannerisms can prove me wrong.

Would having armour on prevent The Thing from assimilating GS for at least the first encounter?

Would honestly depend on the method of attack. The Thing has once, keyword once, sparyed some kinda liquid which is presumably a cocktail of biological matter, but that chances of that happening aren't super high considering it was kinda immoble at the time.

I don't know a lot about The Thing, but I am going to my give my 2 cents. There was some instance where Priestess (Goblin Slayer's companion) complained to GS in one of his goblin slaying missions because he put a lot of fire mixture (most likely gasoline/oil because that's what he used when he met her for the first time) and burned an entire cave infested with goblins to the point where she began to think that the whole place would collapse.

I would say that the chance of him doing this is high, but he sometimes prefer to smoke them out with poison or smoke. If he goes inside the cave, The Thing can actually get a hit on him if he goes for the holes in his helmet.

If he believes it is a Goblin and is weak to fire, he isn't gonna hesitate on going all out. As Eclar said the chances are high, but it's also possible he tries to get inside for some information gathering. The gaps in his armor are few and I don't see the thing actively trying to go for the holes on his helmet - especially when the smaller Things are prone to be instinctual and not really smart, but one good blow past his armor and he's screwed. The human Thing would be a far higher hazard with him not suspecting anything, but depending how it tries to attack him, his good reflexes and being used to fighting in the dark of a cave could save him.

uh.

Guys.

This was one of his "standard" practices when it comes to killing things in caves...

He only didn't go through with it because of Priest Girl's objections. He only ever goes into caves as a LAST resort. Hell, he only ever went with the smoking out idea because Priest girl wanted to compromise, and he's satisfied because she didn't suggest going in as well as laying out a plan not from emotion, but from logic.

If Goblin Slayer thinks the Thing is inside the cave and he has amassed flammable materials and liquids, he ain't going to risk anything and just burn the entire place down with no Priest Girl to object. He suggested doing this against REGULAR GOBLINS let alone a supposedly new breed immune to conventional types of damage.

Even assuming the Thing breaks into pieces and tries to attack his blind spots, he has enhanced senses to defend against precisely that; surprise attacks along with Subsonic reactions so The Thing who's AT BEST Peak Human, is never going to actually land a good hit on him.

@Akreious Well, do you have any recommendations? Like I said before, I know nothing other then what's on GS' profile. I guess I should equalize speed and change the battlefield then?

Equalise speed and make it a neutral battlefield. Caves are legit Goblin Slayer's GAME, it's his home turf. If you actually want a fight then set this in say, an open field where neither Goblin Slayer can do his thing and The Thing can't go and hide in nooks and crannys. That way, Goblin Slayer still has his flammable materials and stuff and The Thing actually has a chance to survive instead of being burnt alive with no chance of fighting back.

although I still personally vote for Goblin Slayer since he's still likely to use fire arrows and such to burn The Thing alive, it's just that if he fails then the Thing could infect him much easier

Well I've equalized speed but an open field is actually a negative for the Thing. It has consistantly failed in open confrentations.

Quick question, but how is the Goblin Slayer supposed to burn down a completely stone, and possibly damp, cave?

By just continuously filling it with flammable liquid?

Remember that he's a Silver-Ranked Adventurer; the 3rd best rank you can achieve. Despite his looks, he's flucking wealthy. Status alone as a Silver, no matter how much you don't look it, has it's perks.

The only way the Thing could survive a full-on burning is if it's stuck completely to the ceiling only or very elevated. Even worse if it touches the flammable liquid, which it has no way of knowing is flammable.

Well you seem to know that a cave is a loss for the Thing and I know for sure an open field is a loss for the Thing, so is there some kinda compromise we could come to? Maybe a craggy mountain pass or something similar?

Also, I need to go to bed now so I'll be back in a several hours.

Maybe a cavern rather than a cave. It's more open than a cave but not as open as a field? It's certainly open vertically.

Yea, Thing looks like he has the disadvantage. However, it is possible that the two humans that come out could play a factor- Depending in how trusting Goblin Slayer is, they could easily trick him into his demise. But I don't know GS, so, anyone want to provide insight on how Goblin Slayer would react to two weak humans racing out and spouting about how it attached their group or whatnot? There's a risk of Goblin Slayer being misinformed and led into a terrible fate, depending on how he responds. Has he fought any entities like The Thing before?

Right now I'm thinking GS's experience and prsgmaticism means he's more likely to win, though I'd like a bit kror inpit from others first.

It really depends on how Goblin Slayer would respond to two seemingly innocent humans. Goblin Slayer wouldn't just kill them and hasn't faced any enemy quite like the Thing. The two "humans" could lead Goblin Slayer to his death- tell him that it's actually not weak to fire, or more weak to cold, or just lead him into a trap. Worst comes to worst, one Thing-Human can just get close and shove tendrils from it's body through any gap in Goblin Slayer's armor, infecting him.

I'm voting Thing, High-Diff.

Hmmm... am trying to think what outlandish things GC may try to do since this is a Crevice. The whole point of his fighting style is to keep thinking and be creative, as his Rhea master pounded into him the bad way. If there's anything he can do to try and smoke the "goblins" out or outright kill them without moving into a very restricted area not knowing what to expect, he'll do so.

If he does move in, things lean much more towards The Thing with speed equalized. Is a tough one.

The Thing is incredibly sneaky and likes to jump from corpses. Even the tiniest bit remaining (that's not charred flesh) has a chance to jump and attack Goblin Slayer, and from there assimilate him. And considering how beings that are assimilated by the Thing tend to be extremely cautious, and run away from fire, it will force Goblin Slayer (from his point of view) to go melee on them. Without previous knowledge about how the Thing works, it's just too hard for anyone to fight against it.

The Thing takes it.

The thing should plain be hunable to damage him or infect him due to armor tough. Not unlees it can get inside his eye or something, which is ridicolously unlikely.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
The thing should plain be hunable to damage him or infect him due to armor tough. Not unlees it can get inside his eye or something, which is ridicolously unlikely.
The Thing has shown the ability to spary some kinda liquid before.

The Thing - 3

Goblin Slayer - 0

Ricsi-viragosi said:
The Thing has sprayed fluids many times in order to infect beings, not to mention that an armor NEEDS to have openings, otherwise how is he breathing, eating or sweating.

The armor does hace small openings, but they are far to small for the thing to go into without being swatted away.

And as for the liquid, with his reactions and how he likes to not go close to an unknown enemy, ut likely won't work either.

The Thing can attack with tendrils/spray liquid. Hard to swat either of those away.

And an unknown enemy =/= what seems to be a regular human. From what I know about Goblin Slayer, he wouldn't kill a random human. The Thing has assimilated a random human.

See how this ends?

Goblin Slayer hasn't dealt with something like the Thing and doesn't know he's getting into that. So, the human-thing could easily trick him, get close, and spray him.

By sba, he is willing to kill enemies, and he is very willing to kill any enemy regardless of that.

And he doesn't let other people close to him like that either, so it would need to attack from at the very least a meter, which leaves ample time for him to swat it away through sheer ap.

Also, if it attacks the slayer will just put the cave on fire without going in to check personally.

Enemy =/= a human he doesn't think is an enemy.

The amount of prior knowledge to stay dozens of meters away due to the range of the Thing's spray, alongside reacting when taken by surprise with speed equal, is incredible. Basically, the Goblin Slayer is screwed. He tosses fire in? It's probably not going to kill all the Things if they hide in crevices, as a cave doesn't burn easily. Of course, Goblin Slayer won't expect this new enemy to be a bunch of microorganisms, either.

Result? He's fighting enemies he doesn't know the abilities of that just need to hit him once. One mistake, he loses. The only way to win is to grab the biggest flame thrower one could find and storm the cave, torching literally anything that moves without even thinking about it, every crevice and every corner, and even then he could get surprise attacked.

One mistake he loses? Firstly, I don't think the thing always starts with the spray, secondly, from what I remember, it doesn't have that great of an aoe.

Any other attack will fail by virtue of the slayer being too durable to be even minutly cut by the thing, and he will litirally light the whole place once he realizes that there are no humans around.

The Thing varies it's attacks a lot, and it's shown a fair amount of intelligence in carefully assassinating people and whatnot. If it sees someone in a full suit of armor, the Thing won't try to lightly knaw on him to death.

If you've watched The Thing, watch what it did to the dogs in the kennel. Now give it more time to observe and make it attack faster like it does in more silent assassinations, such as when it originally attacked the group.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F7SA-LcQS0g

The Goblin Slayer has no reason to suspect the human isn't a human.

If you think The Thing can't transform/act quickly, a certain man trying to use the defibrillator may disagree with you on that.

He has no reason to suspect their race, but he does suspect humans in general. They don't tend to be nice people either, and knowing that a place is supposedly infected with monsters will make him at the very least think that they are faking being monsters to estort people.

Back