• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Glyph Creation Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agnaa

VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
Translation Helper
Gold Supporter
Glyph Creation is currently a very strange page.

Its summary describes it as explicitly only being Platform Creation, essentially Forcefield Creation but only for agility. While the Limitations section says that glyphs can sometimes appear when casting spells, and that those should be considered "non-combat applicable glyphs" and specified as so.

That's... Really weird to me. Those glyphs aren't actually inapplicable for combat. I know a verse where those sorts of glyphs can act as magic amplifiers or traps, these are not combat inapplicable, and have next to nothing to do with these agility-focused forcefields.

I suggest making Platform Creation its own page, and either leaving Glyph Creation for magical glyphs that aren't forcefields, or deleting it entirely if that's seen as too niche. I would prefer keeping it since there seems to be no replacement for that sort of power and it does seem fairly common in magic-based verses, but I'll leave that for this thread to sort out.

I'm fine with changing it to Platform Creation, although alternatively, one can use the Creation page to link Construct Creation powers (that would involve the construct of platforms).

As for glyph-based magic, one can link it to the Magic page, there's a few of magic "schools" out there (such shamanism, incantation, voodoo, onmyodo, runes, etc), we do not need to make a page for every of them.

Oh, I didn't consider those options, I'd be fine with them too.

Platform Creation really seems too specific, anything can be a platform technically speaking, so such a power page would bring a lot of headaches so it's not mixed up with "regular" Creation.
Overall, I think the Glyph Creation page should just be removed, it's not actually a power that can be generalized beyond what we already do for Magic, unless we go for a "Platform Creation" page, which is faulty as mentioned before.

This topic seems more suited for our staff forum, since it is about a powers and abilities page.

Should I move it there, and send notifications to some staff members?

I'm fine with the page either being removed entirely, or being changed to Platform Creation.

I had been on the side of removing the power, but I'll give an actual argument tomorrow

Edit: Actually I sent that at around 5:40 am. Whoops. Guess it'll still be the same day but like 10ish hours later or so

Last edited:
Glyph Creation was always a really bizarre page to me, but I ended up finding significant use for it so I shrugged and accepted that it would exist, not dissimilar to other pages that are essentially the same as other pages but as a niche application (Danmaku, for example). I have no strong opinion on deleting it since, again, I've found a good many users of it- though I understand that it is extremely niche for a page.

Renaming it Platform Creation would probably be better though, since I have no idea why it's called Glyph Creation in the first place.

The main problem, as I see it, is that there are so many character pages that have the ability, and I do not think that nearly all of them would fit with a platform creation ability, so maybe it would be more practical to keep the page as it is, unless somebody is willing to thoroughly evaluate all of the profile pages one-by-one afterwards.

I don't mind changing the name to Platform creation, it just happens (at least, from my perspective) that most of the time the platforms are glyphs, hence the name while mentioning platform creation in the profile.
Kinda like fire manipulation & Hellfire manipulation.

Last edited:
Yeah, this isn't something that can be treated as an standarized power, if anything it should be removed and aimed for something else, as any use we can think to focus on (Such as Platform Creation) of would lead to a need of it being removed from several profiles as it was originally intended for characters that show some glyph with any move whatsoever.
So I would support it being removed, now if Platform Creation is something worthy of an entire page is up to discussion later.

I don't really know why Glyph was linked to platform to begin with. Can see it being renamed as "Platform Creation" or deleting it and making it a possible utilisation of Forcefield Creation.

Deleting it and making the creation of platforms a potential use to mention in Forcefield Creation is best.
Renaming it would lead to issues on way too many pages, as mentioned before, and doing a page for Platform Creation is faulty as said before.

Deleting it and making the creation of platforms a potential use to mention in Forcefield Creation is best.
Renaming it would lead to issues on way too many pages, as mentioned before, and doing a page for Platform Creation is faulty as said before.
I think the power deserves a page, even if it is niche. So if we are to work under these criteria, I say just leave the thing alone. It isn't causing any particular harm.

The main problem, as I see it, is that there are so many character pages that have the ability, and I do not think that nearly all of them would fit with a platform creation ability, so maybe it would be more practical to keep the page as it is, unless somebody is willing to thoroughly evaluate all of the profile pages one-by-one afterwards.

The issue is, given from the page's current wording, they should not have that ability if Platform Creation wouldn't fit. So I'm not sure if this worry is true to the actual pages.

What about characters that use magical glyphs to create extremely strong barriers and the like?

Should the page be expanded a bit instead?

Well, if the page is expanded so it covers any glyph, then there would be little purpose to have it as a power beyond pure aestetic.

Alright, so:

I really don't see why something would be an entirely different power just because the forcefields they're making have fancy symbols and you can walk on them. It's not like forcefields can never do this on their own. There's not some specific requirement that they have to be used exclusively for defense to be forcefields, I could think of several characters who have offensive or otherwise atypical usage of them.

I don't even think that platform creation is really needed as a specific thing, as it's so often just an application of a different ability. If there's really no other ability that allows them to do that, we've always had the Creation power. Just actually explain things on files. Takes literally 2 words. [[Creation]] (Creates platforms) is all you'd really need.

"What about characters that use magical glyphs to create extremely strong barriers and the like?"

Not sure how this doesn't fit under forcefields.

Tldr glyph creation has no real difference from forcefield creation besides "there are fancy words on them" which is irrelevant for classification purposes and should be removed

Bobsican:

Well, the most common pupose seems to be to form barriers or platforms, but you make a good point.

If the page is deleted, somebody experienced would have to remove ALL links to it from VSBW profile pages though.

Wokistan also seems to make good points for removing the page.

Well, the page does explicitly say that strong barries should go under Forcefield Creation and that Glyph Creation should only be used for ones that grant agility, so if any page lists the former type when linking there it's already incorrect.

Are you certain it would need someone to manually comb through the pages, and that it couldn't be done by a bot?

Well, bots can't remove justifications indexed as those are too variable AFAIK, the task would have to be done manually.

There is a mass-editing program that can greatly speed up the work by being part automatic and part manual.

Wait, why would the justifications need to be removed? Wouldn't we just be changing links from [[Glyph Creation]] to [[Platform Creation]] or [[Creation]]?

I mean for cases like "Glyph Creation (Via X)", the bolded part isn't friendly to bots to notice IIRC without doing false positives. Ignoring this and leaving the justification alone would also be messy.
Doing that would lead to redundancy on some cases by linking to Creation twice, plus it seems it has been agreed on not doing a page on Platform Creation.

If they just get switched to creation, we'd end up with [[Creation]] (Via [power]) as opposed to [[Glyph Creation]] (Via [power]) which doesn't seem like a problem

The problem comes on it being redundant on profiles that already have Creation indexed for something else.

Yeah that will have to be corrected.

But, if we get Dynamic Page List added we should be able to see what pages have both Glyph Creation and Creation, and be able to manually edit them accordingly.

Dynamic Page List has been added, but only experienced staff and honorary staff members such as yourself are supposed to use it, and only for temporary cleanup work.

It is not allowed to add any content generated by it to regular pages, as it can easily overtax and crash the wiki if lots of people visit them, or that is how I understood it at least. @NoGround would know more.

Ahh okay. I think I understand that feature now. I've got the list on a user page here, I'll remove that code once the revision's done to not risk overtaxing the wiki.

It is not allowed to add any content generated by it to regular pages, as it can easily overtax and crash the wiki if lots of people visit them, or that is how I understood it at least. @NoGround would know more.
This should be an Editing Rule if that's the case, as someone unaware could put it into a mainstream verse page and crash the wiki in a few hours.

The feature was just set up yesterday, but we need an editing rule, yes. I have asked AKM sama about it, but he is sleeping now, and is very overworked as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back