• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group

Introduction​

Armorchompy

Alright, this is a pretty big revision @SamanPatou and I have been working on for a while. Don't let the fact that I wrote more entries here fool you, we split the work evenly and he's done a great job with his reworked profiles in particular. Anyway, Ghosts 'N Goblins! Fun series, especially the Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest spinoffs (in my book at least), profiles definitely needed some work though, so here we come.

We looked through every game in the series, minus the mobile games, as we could find no information on their canonicity, and the Maximo duology, which while nominally set in the GnG universe seems to have no actual ties to it, so it wouldn't affect a revision to the rest of the verse.

And yes, you can consider this part of the Armorchompy Revises Random Old Games Series

Original Statistics​

Armorchompy

Before addressing the calculations that will go on to replace them, I should tackle the currently used feats. Also, another thing that needs to be addressed is that there's actually two Firebrands in Ghosts N Goblins, as the protagonist of Gargoyle's Quest II is the ancestor of the one playable in GQ1 and Demon's Crest. This isn't actually ever made explicit in official material as far as I could find, but it's the only way to reconcile a bunch of things, such as both games seeing Firebrand find out he's the Red Blaze, while realistically he'd already know after the first time, Lucifer not recognizing him between them, and GQ2 narrating the first fight between the Red Blaze and Harbreager, which is part of the lore of GQ1. From now on, I'll refer to the more famous Firebrand protagonist of Gargoyle's Quest and Demon's Crest as (GQ1) while his ancestor from Gargoyle's Quest will be (GQ2).
  • Firebrand (GQ2) setting the Demon Realm on fire and dissolving Breager's Black Light: This is assumed to fit into the default "scorching the Earth" feat type, but it doesn't for several reasons. Most importantly, the Demon Realm isn't an entire dimension with a whole planet in it, but a simple physical place in the Ghosts 'N' Goblins Earth. This can most obviously be seen by the fact that Arthur physically travels to it in... basically every single one of his games, but it's also straight-up stated to be on Earth in Demon's Crest. Secondly, Firebrand doesn't scorch the Earth, but simply cleanses it, though this is secondary.
    • Ultimately though, none of this matters, as this is caused by a full-power Firebrand releasing all of his Red Blaze powers (Red Blaze = the strongest demon in the Realm), as such it wouldn't scale to his normal attacks at all.
    • It should also be mentioned that Arthur and other Ghosts 'N' Goblins characters wouldn't scale to (either) Firebrand in this state anyway. The only scaling between the two sub-series comes in both Firebrand (GQ1) and Arthur fighting Lucifer, but Firebrand fights him before obtaining the powers of the Red Blaze, which greatly strengthen him. As such, his feats in that form only scale to characters in his own series.
  • Phalanx' death generates 145.6 petatons of energy: I... have no idea where this comes from. Firebrand's profile reports this with the link, but there's no calculation or further explanation. I assume there was originally some narutoforums calculation? But nothing is actually linked. If I had to guess this was an earthquake feat, but in absolutely no way would you get anything this high, really. Still, I have calculated this feat and we'll get to it.
  • Hades generates a supercell storm: There's no evidence this feat would scale to physicals. With the exception of a self-contained thing in Demon's Crest (we'll get to that) and another, even more self-contained thing in GQ2 (ditto), there's nothing even resembling a UES in Ghosts 'N' Goblins.
  • Firebrand (GQ1) flies across continents at mach Mach 26364.07: Same deal as Phalanx' death, literally zero calculations linked or explanation. I assume this has to be some sort of overworld map scaling sorta deal, which is generally fairly frowned upon, but... again, there's no calculation linked, it's invalid by default. Would probably just be flight speed anyway.
  • Arthur dodges laser beams from Astaroth, Lucifer and Nebiroth: Literally zero evidence that these are laser beams, let alone ones acceptable by our light speed standards, instead of generic magic bolts.

New Statistics​

All feats are in this blog, or are just common feats.
  • Small Building level+: This scales to... everyone really. GnG characters, weaker Gargoyle's Quest characters, literally everyone beyond fodder monsters, I guess. The first two calculations in the blog are 9-A+, and there's also an early Firebrand being capable of carbonizing enemies which is 9-A.
  • Building level: Scales to Firebrand (Both) once he becomes the Red Blaze. In part, upscaling from the previous tier, in part, Harbreager creating a large castle. The reason this scales to physicals is that the Black Light is representative of Harbreager's power, who Firebrand (Both) defeats.
  • Small Town level: Based off Phalanx causing great destruction while dying. Phalanx never figured out the full power of the Crests like Firebrand did, so he upscales. Not only that but a great earthquake is caused by Phalanx just using the fading power of Crest of Heaven (Who Firebrand also owns), with the earthquake leveling a whole castle, so that's support. This only scales to Firebrand (GQ1) in Demon's Crest, Phalanx and the game's superboss that I might make a profile for someday.
  • Mountain level+: Based off Firebrand (GQ2) torching the demon realm, which ends up at this level of strength. Doesn't scale to physicals and is just its own rating for releasing his full power. Also scales to the other Firebrand (GQ1) since he should be capable of doing the same (he's even a little higher in the scaling)
  • Class M: Based off this calculation with thesetwo as support. Scales to just about everyone again, and the same applies to...
  • Subsonic+: Based off this trio of calculations, with the fastest being Arthur dodging cannonballs.

Reworked Profiles​

SamanPatou

On my side, these are the revised versions of Arthur, Astaroth and Lucifer's profiles.
Now I will quickly go over the specific changes I made

Overall
  • The stats have been modified accordingly to the calcs and the reasonings my colleague explained.
  • These files cover only the games from the main line, thus mobile games and crossovers have been left out. The games featured are: Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Makaimura for WonderSwan, Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins and Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection

Arthur
  1. His P&A has been divided in what he can do by himself and what is achieved through equipment. As explained in the notes, Arthur either carries all his equipment by default or obtains itover the course of the game and adds it to his inventory. Most of them are already featured on Arthur's current file, but I made some additions and removals.
  2. Arthur's new abilities, unrelated to equipment, are: Possibly self-sustenance, Weapon Creation (as an alternative to Hammerspace) and Vehicular Mastery.
  3. New weapons and spells have been added, but their powers aren't anything really controversial, you can safely check them by yourself.
  4. Arthur's resistance to soul manipulation has been removed, since only his horse got hit by Lucifer's laser. Likewise, Darkness manipulation via the Cursed Armor has been removed, since there's no reason for him to have this.
  5. Arthur's Resurrection has been limited to the homonym spell from GnG Resurrection, because the one seen in Ultimate isn't anything other than your classic 1-UPs stock, and both the game and the manual refers to that as a game mechanic.
  6. His intelligence has been upgraded to gifted, and all other stats received an expansion in terms of descriptions and feats listed.
  7. A gallery for his equipment has been added, and the only optional stuff are the two "cheat" armors from Resurrection, since they aren't obtained in the normal game, but are prizes for reaching a set amount of points and are basically meant to break the game and make you op.
  8. New profile pictures have been added to better cover the evolution in his design and the various armors he dons. For the same reason, a gallery has been put at the bottom of the page.

Astaroth
  1. A new profile pic for his base to make him look less goofy than he is in the games, and the current one has been moved to the gallery alongside others.
  2. His abilities and keys have been divided in Base and Dark Astaroth, since Ultimate refers to the latter as a different version of Astaroth (either a corrupted or super version, we don't know), so I thought it was better to make the split.
  3. GnG Resurrection granted him new abilities, which have been listed in a separate tabber for his Base. This is because a third key was unnecessary, but at the same time I felt it needed to divide between the abilities "Classic" Astaroth had (which remain consistent across 3 games) the new ones coming from the latest game. His base also received a few abilities inehrited from Gargoyle Quest.
  4. Illusion Creation has been removed because such ability belongs to Satan, not Astaroth.
  5. Duplication also been removed because, as explained in the notes, we don't really know if it's Astaroth's doing or some other factor like the ones I mentioned.
  6. Resistance to Pain Manipulation has been removed because there just wasn't any reason for it to be a thing.
  7. His large size in Resurrection remains Type 0, because despite being quite larger, he doesn't surpass 13 meters, and you see that if you compare him to Arthur.
  8. A standard tactic section has been added, accordingly to his patterns within the game

Lucifer:
  1. Some new, minor abilities have been added, such as Invulnerability, Animal Manipulation, Bodily Weaponry, Clairvoyance, Astral Projection, Weather Manip and what stems from the Cursed Words mentioned in Gargoyle Quest.
  2. Resistance to Pain Manip has been removed, because it once again doesn't have a reason to be there.
  3. Small tweaks to his intelligence, stamina and not much else.
  4. His throne as Standard Equipment. It isn't a weapon, but he fights all of his battles while sitting on it, so I deemed its addition necessary.
  5. A standard tactic section, just like Astaroth's, has been added.

Armorchompy

Alright, time to talk about my own revised profiles. Or rather, the one revised profile. While I am working on a bunch of profiles, the only one that actually exists already is Firebrand's (GQ1). So let's get into what I changed.
  1. Statistics were changed, obviously.
  2. Aesthetics were fleshed out a bit, using a tabber to split P&A and adding some more pictures and a quote.
  3. Way too many P&A to detail here were added.
  4. Homing Attack & Astral Projection are from Gargoyle's Quest 2 and this Firebrand doesn't get to use them, so removed.
  5. Some of the Summoning justifications were removed, Firebrand can summon imps, but the other stuff, not so much, though other Red Arremers have shown the ability to, it's not a universal thing.
  6. Time Stop. Astral Projection is, again, from DQ2, and Hold is Paralysis Inducement.
  7. Shapeshifting/Statistics Amplification: While the Legendary Gargoyle is commonly interpreted to be Firebrand returning to his peak power level, that isn't really ever made explicit and it wouldn't make much sense as Firebrand is stronger than ever in this game, and at his previous peak of power he looked nothing like he does now (He's explicitly stated to be bright red in GQ1, while the Legendary Gargoyle is purple)
  8. Stamina, Weaknesses and Intelligence were fleshed out, and "possibly Infinite stamina" for his Red Blaze state was added.
  9. Firebrand's weakness to water was removed, he doesn't take damage from it in GQ1 and I think the damage over time he suffers in it in Demon's Crest simply represents him being unable to breathe underwater, which is hardly a noteworthy weakness given that like, 90% of the wiki shares it.
  10. Most of the Gallery images are used already in the profile so I removed it.
  11. Added a NA&T section to flesh out Firebrand's powers a bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back