• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Geralt's mental and magical resistances

I've accidentaly posted this under Geralt's profile, so I'm reposting it here.

Greetings, fellow Witcher debaters ^^ Once again, I bring some interesting things that could potentialy add to the undeniable awesomeness of our favourite monster slayer. Today we're going to focus on Geralt's resitance against magic and mental influences. Let's begin.

1. Starting off with the easiest part. In The Last Wish, Yennefer makes note of both Geralt's willpower and his magical resitance:

"Don't struggle, my little witcher." She smiled spitefully. "It's pointless. You've got a strong will and quite a bit of resistance to magic, but you can't contend with me and my spells."

While Yennefer boasts that Geralt can't contend with her magic, it should be noted that earlier Yennefer admitted that she needed an element of suprise to restrain Geralt:

"I wondered when you'd feel it," giggled the sourceress.

Geralt tensed his muscles and, clenching his jaw until it hurt, strained his entire will. It didn't help. He was paralyzed, like a stone statue, like a post which had been dug into the ground. He couldn't even wiggle a toe.

"I knew you could deflect a spell thrown straight at you," said Yennefer. "I also knew that before you tried anything, you'd try to impress me with your elquence. You were talking while the spell hanging over you was working and slowly breaking you."

2. As it turns out, witchers in general posses some form of resistance to mind manipulation, based on a conversation between the sorceresses Sabrina Glevissig and Marti Södergren from Time of Contempt:

"Why be surprised? She's put a spell on him. She has him under a charm. Think I've never done that?"

"But he's a witcher! They can't be bewitched. Not for so long, at any rate."

3. Now to the more tricky stuff. Quite possibly the greatest display of Geralt's willpower took place in the final mission of The Witcher, where Jacques de Aldersberg trapped Geralt in his vision of the future enclosed in his mind:

The Witcher EE Perfect 100% Walkthrough English No Commentary PC Ultra 1080p60 10 End
The Witcher EE Perfect 100% Walkthrough English No Commentary PC Ultra 1080p60 10 End

The relevant part starts at 1:19:37. I recommend watching till 1:45:50 for optimal experience. Still, I'll mark important parts with a brief summary:
1:23:00 - Triss explains that Geralt is stronger the Grand Master thought, and that he brought his own visions and spectres. She also points out that death in this place would be very real.

1:24:28, 1:27:20, 1:30:43, 1:33:26 - Geralt confronts spectres of his past, either receiveing various forms of aid or fighting them (on one occasion). Since those spectres are Geralt's own, those spectres should represents Geralt continued resistance against Grand Master's power.

1:34:39 - Triss informs Geralt that they reached the heart of de Aldersberg's vision, where he "controls all".

Needless to say, Geralt beats de Aldersberg, which is even more impressive considering that in the heart of his vision, he "controlled all".

Based on the evidence provided, I think Geralt should be granted Resistance to Mind Manipulation and/or Limited Resistance to Magic.

Ok, that's all from me, for now anyway. What do you guys think? Share you thougts, add examples of your own, and point out any mistakes on my part that you've noticed. Cheers ^^

After reading the first post, I also think that this seems uncontroversial to apply.

So is somebody willing to apply this?

So, what is it exactly?

Limited Resistance to magic for Geralt and Resistance to Mind Manipulation for Geralt, Eskel, and Letho?

Also, Strong Will for Geralt yes or no?

Ant, I wrote down just "Strong Will". I was using Saitama's page as reference, since he is, as well, has "a lot of willpower".

Should it be like that? Or should it be "Strong Will"?

He cannot control the willpower of others or use it offensively, so I think that just "Strong Will" is fine.

Okay then.

But we do not have such page, that describes this ability. While it is self explanatory, perhaps we should create it.

Perhaps, but you need to start a staff forum thread to discuss it.

I don't know about that. But when we have characters, that are either doing something via willpower (such as Ryuji Sakamoto), or resisting something via willpower (such as Green Lanterns), or they just has this ability as an important stat (Geralt and Saitama), it's clearly an ability that many characters from different verses uses, and should be treated as such.

Back