• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

General Questions From A Newbie

Mp_hj

He/Him
Hello. Though I've had an account for roughly a month, I didn't really spend much time in this community. Before I get more involved I want to ask some things:
  1. How are new users advised to get started when it comes to participating? Should it be in starting a VS Thread? Doing a calc? Something else? Anything? Obviously I should read the important articles, but what about actually getting involved?
  2. If you aren't good with mathematics, should you just ask someone else to do calcs for you? If so, how would you go about doing that?
  3. Where would you even get information on canonical speeds, weights, heights, et cetera? Obviously some works give those stats canonically, but not all of them.
  4. Hypothetically, if you want to discuss a character from a franchise that hasn't been discussed here before, what would you do?

Thanks.

1) You can participate in any way you want to. Some users here, including even staff, tend to only stick to calcs or making CRTs or even other things.
2) There is a calc requests thread (on mobile, so can't link it that easily) in the Wiki Management sub-forum.
3) From official sources, like an accepted guidebook or something similar.
4) You can make a general discussion thread about the franchise. Though if you just want to make one profile for one specific character, you could ask for help from others in the Q&A sub-forum.

Hope this answers your questions.

1. just check out any threads that catch your eye and read important articles

2. yes, no one expects everyone to be capable of calculations, we have a calc team and a calculation request thread

3. if there are no official heights then youd usually either use a relevant average height or pixel scale the character by comparing them to things theyre seen next to we do have a height for, ive never seen anything but averages for weight though, its usually not that relevant, and speed is derived from feats or just the average/athletic/peak etc human speed

4. just do it, no rules against talking about characters that dont have profiles other than dont include them in posts on the vs threads forum, you only do matches that can be listed on the involved characters profiles via the vs thread rules on the vs threads forum, though you can post any match you want disregarding the rules on the fun and games forum

Back