• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

General Godzilla Discussion

Alright, i found some interesting stuff from the novelisation.

Godzilla Minus One Novel – Pt 5
PP 55-64

P 55
「また悪い夢?」

“Another bad dream?”

「夢・・・・・・そうか夢だよな?」

“Dream…I see, it’s a dream, right?”

そう自分に言い聞かせた途端、それはひどく現実感のない言葉に思えた。

As soon as he said that to himself, it seemed like a completely unrealistic statement.

「一炊の夢」という言葉が心をよぎった。

The words “empty dream” crossed my mind.

さっき見た世界が現実で、日本に帰ってきて、典子や明子と暮らしている自分が実夢なのではないか?

Could it be that the world he just saw was real, and that he was living in a real dream, returning to Japan and living with Noriko and Akiko?

そして自分はあの呉爾羅の惨劇の中で、今まさに死にかけているのではないか?もしくはとっくに死んでしまっている?

And isn’t he about to die in that GOJIRA tragedy? Or have you already died?

そう考えてしまいそうなほど、土気色の兵士達は未だに濃い気配となってあたりを漂っていたし、典子はどこか透けて消えていってしまいそうにはかなく思えた。

He almost thought so, as the dark-colored soldiers were still hovering around him with a strong presence, and Noriko seemed as if she might somehow disappear into thin air.

敷島はあえて聞いてみた。

Shikishima dared to ask.

「それとも、君が夢か?」

“Or are you a dream?”

「何言ってるの?大丈夫?」

“What are you talking about? Are you okay?”

言葉にしてしまうと、敷島にはますます典子が現実のものとは思えなくなっていった。

The more he put it into words, the less Noriko seemed to Shikishima to be real.

P 56
なんとか典子を実物だと確認したかった。敷島はすがりつくように典子をかき抱いた。

He wanted to somehow confirm that Noriko was real. Shikishima hugged Noriko tightly.

「なぁここは日本だよな。俺は確かに帰ってきたんだよな」

“Hey, this is Japan. I’m definitely back.”

そのまま押し倒そうとする敷島を、典子は反射的に蹴るように押しのけた。

Shikishima tried to push her down, but Noriko reflexively kicked him away.

「やめて!」

“Stop!”

押し返された敷島はバランスを失って位牌が置かれた木箱にぶつかった。油紙の包みが落ちて中から写真が散らばった。そこに写った整備兵とその家族達が一斉に敷島に視線を向けてきた。皆無言だったが、何を言いたいのか敷島にはすぐにわかった。

Shikishima was pushed back and lost his balance, colliding with a wooden box containing a memorial tablet. The oil paper package fell and the photos were scattered inside. The maintenance soldiers and their families in the photo all turned their eyes towards Shikishima. Everyone was silent, but Shikishima knew immediately what they wanted to say.

―― なぜまだ生き長らえている??

— Why are you still alive?

「わかっている。わかっているよ」

“I know. I know.”

敷島は体を丸め膝を抱え、幼子のように嗚咽を漏らした。

Shikishima curled up and hugged his knees, sobbing like a child.

1946年夏

Summer 1946

南太平洋の美しい環礁にひどく場違いな老朽艦達が停泊させられていた。

A group of aging ships are anchored on a beautiful atoll in the South Pacific.

P 57
旧帝国海軍の旗艦も務めたこともあった戦艦「長門」もその中にあった。

Among them was the battleship Nagato, which also served as the flagship of the former Imperial Navy.

それら数十隻の老朽艦達は、様々な方向に船首を向けて浮かびながら『その時』を待っているようだった。

These dozens of old ships seemed to be waiting for their “right moment” while floating with their bows pointing in various directions.

不穏な気配を察した海鳥の群れが、半ばくるったようにそこから離れるべく一斉に逃げていった。

A flock of seabirds, sensing a sign of unrest, fled en masse to get away from the area, half-turned.

空は青々と晴れ渡り、海は静かに波打っていた。

The sky was clear and blue, and the sea was rippling gently.

「その時」が来た。

“The time” has come.

海中に不意に太陽が出現した。

The sun suddenly appeared in the sea.

そこから生まれた衝撃波が、周りの水蒸気を一気に細かい氷の粒子に変化させた。

The shock wave created by this instantly transformed the surrounding water vapor into fine ice particles.

それは一瞬にしてどこまでもどこまでもふくれあがっていった。

In an instant, it swelled up everywhere.

長門をはじめとする老朽艦群は、瞬時にその塊の中に見えなくなった。

The old ships, including Nagato, instantly disappeared into the mass.

やがて巨大な蒸気の塊を突き破るように、特徴的なキノコ雲が立ち上がっていった。

Eventually, a distinctive mushroom cloud rose up, as if breaking through a huge mass of steam.

ビキニ環礁・クロスロード作戦・ベーカー実験。

Bikini Atoll, Operation Crossroads, Baker Experiment.

原爆実験が行われたのだった。

An atomic bomb test was conducted.

その熱と衝撃と放射線は、近海の海生生物のことごとくを焼き尽くした。

The heat, shock, and radiation consumed all marine life in nearby waters.

P 58
逃げていた海鳥達もその羽を焼かれながら吹き飛ばされ、空中で灰になりながら舞い散っていった。

The seabirds that had fled were also blown away while their feathers were burned, turning to ash and scattering in the air.

そしてその近海に大戸島守備隊を全滅させたあの呉爾羅がいた。呉爾羅もまた、原子爆弾の激しい熱と放射線で焼き尽くされていた。皮膚が沸騰しめくれ上がり、肉は焦げ、眼球が真っ白に濁り・・・すさまじい痛みと苦しみが呉爾羅を襲った。普通の生物ならとうに絶命しているはずだった。しかし呉爾羅はそのたぐいまれな再生能力でそれを乗り切った。そしてその苦しみをもたらした存在にすさまじい怒りを感じながら徐々に体を再生していった。

And in the sea near there was the same GOJIRA who annihilated the garrison of Odo Island. GOJRA was also consumed by the intense heat and radiation from the atomic bomb. His skin boiled and rolled up, his flesh was scorched, his eyes turned cloudy white… tremendous pain and suffering attacked GOJIRA. If he were a normal creature, he would have died long ago. However, GOJIRA was able to overcome this with his unique regenerative ability. Gradually, his body was regenerated while feeling tremendous anger towards the people who had brought him suffering.

呉爾羅の再能力をもってしても、元の姿を取り戻すことはできなかった。体表の奥深くまで紛れ込んだ放射性物質は表皮の細胞にエラーに次ぐエラーを起こし、その見た目はゴツゴツとした岩のような様相に様変わりしていった。急激に成長していった背びれは雪の結晶のようにあらゆる方向に枝を伸ばしていった。それは層をなし、かきがらまるで何十年も海底で生き続けてきた牡蠣殻の様な姿に変わった。

Even with GOJIRA’s reincarnation ability, he was unable to regain his original form. The radioactive material that penetrated deep into the body surface caused error after error in the cells of the epidermis, changing its appearance to resemble that of a rugged rock. Its dorsal fin grew rapidly, and branches spread out in all directions like snowflakes. It formed layers, resembling oyster shells that had been living on the ocean floor for decades.

すでに大きかった体は暴走したかのようにぐんぐんと巨大化し、それは以前の姿を遙かにしのぐ巨体と化していった。

Its already large body rapidly grew in size, as if it was going out of control, and it became a gigantic body that far exceeded its previous appearance.

So, uh, the newest episode of monarch comes with some implications for Monsterverse Godzilla, not sure if there is anywhere on here discussing it or not.

Has there ever been a Godzilla film so well reviewed internationally? Besides Shin I'm guessing.
It's actually been reviewed significantly better than Shin. Minus is probably the highest rated Godzilla movie ever internationally.

Can you guys give your input here?

kZQEJ8Q_d.webp

So, this Superman is featless fodder but, fortunately, not statementless fodder. Neato.

Dunno, I think this is good enough for a rating or at least a "likely/possibly" if a Twitter WOG is deemed not enough or some other issue (I recall reading that twitter statements had scrutinity, but I could be just misremembering)

Back