• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

General D&D questions

This might turn into a content revision later but I want to know if we have answers to these questions right now beforehand.

1. Does having higher mental stats grant resistances to certain effects?

I ask this because a lot of the spells that do things like create illusions, BFR, modify memory, destroy minds, etc. use saving throws that require mental stats (Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma).

As an example, in the lore of D&D a Deva is a messenger of the Gods and as such is resistant to deceptions (magical or not) and stay in the realm until their job is done. This is reflected by giving them a high Wisdom save and a high Charisma save.

Personally, I think it should apply but it could also be considered game mechanics.

2. How do we handle Anti-Magic field?

I want to get this out of the way now so we don't end up with any "this is what it can do in one edition, but this edition says this" stuff. It nullifies magic. That much is obvious. What differs is what else it nullifies from each edition.

In 1st and 2nd edition, it nullified practically all special attacks (the examples being Dragon's breath, voice attacks, and Gaze attacks).

"By means of this spell, the wizard surrounds himself with an invisible barrier that moves with him. The space within this barrier is totally impervious to all magic and magical spell effects, thus preventing the passage of spells or their effects. Likewise, it prevents the functioning of any magical items or spells within its confines. The area is also impervious to breath weapons, gaze or voice attacks, and similar special attack forms."

In 3rd edition, it blocked Magic, Spells, Spell-like effects (basically abilities that replicated spells), and Supernatural abilities (like Dragon's Breath, Spell Immunity, and Energy Drain). It didn't stop natural but inhuman abilities like a troll's Regenerationn.

"An invisible barrier surrounds the character and moves with the character. The space within this barrier is impervious to most magical effects, including spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. Likewise, it prevents the functioning of any magic items or spells within its confines."

I'm skipping 4th edition because (as far as I know) it doesn't exist in that edition.

5th edition is probably the simplest and the one that prevents the least amount of things. It prevents magical effects from happening in it. That's it. So that counts towards magic items, spells, spell-like effects, psionics, and some parts of Ki. The difference is that in this edition it is specifically stated to not stop supernatural abilities like a dragon's breath attack.

"Within the Sphere, Spells can't be cast, summoned creatures disappear, and even Magic Items become mundane. Until the spell ends, the Sphere moves with you, centered on you.

Spells and other magical effects, except those created by an artifact or a deity, are suppressed in the Sphere and can't protrude into it. A slot expended to cast a suppressed spell is consumed. While an effect is suppressed, it doesn't function, but the time it spends suppressed counts against its Duratio."

So my question is do we use a composite version of it in fights? Do we use only the nerfed version from 5e? Do we use some amalgamation of it?

TL:DR: Do high mental stats grant resistances and what do we use for the Anti-Magic field?

A. Yes. Higher mental faculties absolutely give resistances to mental manipulation. It's why Illithids with their insanely advanced intellect are all but immune to illusory effects, mental intrusions, etc. Psions are innately gifted at resisting such things for obvious reasons, but so too are wizards, elves, and the like. Grandmaster Kane for example is an epic monk whose wisdom is so immense that he could effortlessly wield Charon's Claw, a weapon so vile that it dominates the wielder's willpower and burns their flesh from their skull if they lose the battle of wills. He is all but immune to mental manipulations as insinuated by a near-epic psionics-user, Kimmuriel Oblodra.

B. Anti-Magic Field is pretty simplistic imho as far as tautologies: it is a field of anti-magic. Anything magical therein is negated. The 5e version is the simplest and most effective to use in my personal view as it gets to the basis of what the spell is actually defined as, a field wherein magic simply ceases to function. Anything magic-related? Ceases to function. Drawn from magic? Ceases to function.

The issue with my answer to B. depends on what you view as the source of magic though. If you use Faerun, anything from or of the Weave ceases to be active, psionics however EXPLICITLY bypass such fields. Null psionics field exists for this very reason.

If, however, you use magic as a catch-all and determine it to all be the source of the same powers (both arcane and psionic), then it also nullifies psionics.

Hopefully my input is of value in this matter.

@Xulrev It was decided between Qawsed and Azzy that it explicitly affects supernatural effects. I am personally in agreement that it should function under the following stipulations:

1. The supernatural effect has to originate outside of a character's natural abilities, much like it wouldn't negate a vampire's bite but it would negate a vampire's magic or their abilities

2. The supernatural effect can be negated through cover of solid objects

3. The supernatural effect can be non-magical in nature, as it negates even psionic abilities that are not related to magic (such as the Psion class).

I don't have the source but Qawsed and Azzy brought them up.

The psionics/magic conflation is something I hardline disagree with as numerous canon sources from where we draw feats show it to be the explicit case that psionics is cut from a different cloth altogether

Yeah, which is the justification for it clearly affecting even non-magical sources. (That said, the Mystic class is a psionic-magic overlap).

I think our points are not in agreement here; my point is that in Faerun, anti-magic fields do NOT affect psionics at all, explicitly so.

Faerun or all planes? Because either Azzy or Qawsed found sources explicitly stating it affected psionics.

Also, this just further supports my viewpoint that D&D is like the definition of subjective truth on this wiki. Shit changes.

It does change and quite frequently. But that's why I was tentative even in my initial point, because in the Forgottem Realms setting it is quite adamant that psionics and magic are vastly differently and one does not influence the other. In some instances however I do believe they intermingle. I myself usually go by the Forgotten Realms due to them being the most mainstream source of feats and most well-regarded and most well-storied.

Tl;dr shit be ******, yo.

I've always played in the Greyhawk setting, if it helps.

Something that might help is that in 5e it is stated that it does affect Psionics. However, it is also stated that Psionics is magic. I think it just depends on which edition you use.

Psionics are magic depending on class and edition, yes. For example, the Mystic, mentioned above, is a magic class based around psychic powers. However, the Psion, who is equally as psychic, has no mention to magic at all (not even in, say, skills, for Knowledge (Arcana)).

I'd say that it does affect all supernatural effects rather than purely those that are magical.

1. Short answer; yes. It does in almost every verse, but the level of resistance and mental prowess needed varies.

2. Our D&D profiles seem to be composite. It's nearly impossible to do otherwise. If they are, antimagic works on everything it's ever worked on. If they're not, the verse needs even MORE revisions, and it needs a ludicrous amount, already.

@Azzy

1. Ok. So that would mean profiles like the Beholder and Empyrean get it in some sense or another considering that they are proficient and it should scale to the gods (because why wouldn't it) even if they don't need it that much.

2. Ok. I'm going to assume it's composite then. Makes it a bit easier on everyone else.

By the way, Beholder should be upgraded soon if we can get the calcs looked at (At least Low 7-C, likely Low 7-B, based on Earthquake and White Dragons respectively).

Also, I've got two pages on my sandbox for D&D if anyone wants to take a look.

Psionics and magic are pretty weird. Like Xulrev said there's been events in FR that have impacted magic heavily but left psionics alone and campaign settings like Dark Sun where magic and psionics are notably different. If we do equalize magic and psionics then we should add some disclaimers.

Mr. Bambu said:
By the way, Beholder should be upgraded soon if we can get the calcs looked at (At least Low 7-C, likely Low 7-B, based on Earthquake and White Dragons respectively).
Also, I've got two pages on my sandbox for D&D if anyone wants to take a look.
The sandbox profiles look good so far, though I do have to ask why the Beholder gets scaled to a White Dragon?

White Dragon at CR 13 (same CR as Beholder) can cause a blizzard on that level. Was brought up in one of the revision threads (dunno which one, Azzy had scans of it) and I calc'd the feat at Low 7-B+.

mmhmm. Just gotta get it looked at. Same with about 20 other calculations

So I have two more questions that might somewhat upgrade D&D in the speed department.

IMG 5025
1. Could anyone calculate how fast "seeing lightning crawl in a meandering pace from cloud to cloud" would be?
2. Could any characters downscale from this? They wouldn't directly scale one to one (the Quickling is by far the fastest non-god being in the D&D verse.) but player characters can still hit the thing.

1. I'm not sure, but pretty damn fast. I'd imagine somewhere in the realms of Sub-Rel.

2. If people can canonically hit quicklings despite not being as fast as them, I imagine they'd scale to some degree.

Probably Reactions or Combat Speed. I could calc that.

For some reason Foggy's post didn't ping my notifications so that's cool thanks Fandom.

JUST BARELY SUB-REL.

1.03% to 1.31% speed of light. This would scale to reactions of anyone that can fight Quicklings (would need their CR), and the physical movement of god-type beings since they would be logically superior to a Quickling.

Wouldn't that be a pretty decent outlier? It would be weird if the same people who struggle to avoid natural lightning and meteors tag that thing.

@Mr. Bambu Their CR is like 1 or 3. Which means the people who struggle to dodge arrows fired from normal humans can tag them, so I think its a large outlier unless perception speed in D&D is billions of times faster than their actual ability to move their bodies.

1e , 2e, 4e, 5e. In none of the editions are they extremly high level and in 5e they're very low level monster.

Then their speed probably can't apply to any character just for being PIS, unless we happen to agree that base characters have Sub-Rel reactions for no reason. Still, I think it'd scale to the gods, at least, who should have greater physicality than any mortal.

Honetly I think its just flavor text. Them being FTE is supported sure, but sub-light reactions seems off for a low level monster.

I could try calc'ing the tornado thing, since it says they also go at relatively no speed at all?

The raindrops as snowflakes would probably fit best with early level character speed. The hurricane thing seems to vague to use.

I'll wait for others to respond, but I'll keep your opinions in mind.

To be fair, a quickling's DEX (representation of their speed and reflexes) in 5e (where the quote comes from) seems to be 23. This is something that isn't possible for most adventurers to achieve, regardless of what CR the Quickling is.

Stat scores beyond 20 for a player usually require some extreme circumstance, like a level 20 barbarian being able to have 24 STR, for example.

our mage has 34 intelligence at level 54 I wanna die

But yeah, I guess.

I'm not saying we should scale from dexterity. I'm saying 23 is pretty explicitly well beyond even most high-level adventurers, even if the Quickling is CR 1. Most ability scores in 5e are capped at 20 and can't exceed that unless a specific upgrade or ability says otherwise.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
Most ability scores in 5e are capped at 20 and can't exceed that unless a specific upgrade or ability says otherwise.
Didn't know that. Anyways I agree that they're abnormally fast for their CR rating, I just think sub-light is a bit much. Especially when level 14-20 adventures aren't rated nearly as fast and have trouble avoiding much slower things.

Qawsedf234 said:
Didn't know that. Anyways I agree that they're abnormally fast for their CR rating, I just think sub-light is a bit much. Especially when level 14-20 adventures aren't rated nearly as fast and have trouble avoiding much slower things.
Being fair, they are cursed to be the fastest mortals and they have (by far) the fastest movement speed in the game. Not even things like a Solar or Tiamat's Avatar get that fast. I wasn't suggesting we scale it to everything, I was just wondering if this could downscale to any adventurers.

The mechanics suggest that they are really hard to hit (having a high DEX, having an ability that provides disadvantage, and Evasion. Evasion letting him fully dodge DEX saves on successes instead of taking half damage) but the party is able to somewhat comprehend him.

Also speaking of Evasion, three classes get this ability at level 7. The Rouge, the Ranger, and the Monk. It's an ability that suggests that their reaction time has gone up significantly. It lets these classes dodge DEX saves (like Fireball and Lightning Bolt) fully on a succes instead of taking half damage. How much would this affect their speed? Would this affect the avatar's speeds?

What's the common speed for lightning here? If it's 440,000 m/s (which I vaguely remember for some reason), that means people with improved evasion can move 5 feet before the one lightning cloud spell moves 100 feet.

100 / 1,443,569.55 fps = 0.00006927272 seconds

5 / 0.00006927272 = 72,178.485 fps or mach 64.1399

Which would be High Hypersonic+. But its a weird area still since while, say, a fighter can resonably tag a monk or ranger of similar level and equitment output they're slower feat/game wise.

Back