• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Garfield comic additions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are saying Garfield having a supernatural fear manip with toon force is less likely than garfield somehow socially influencing inanimate objects with his claws? Also how is mind hax not being "serious" work? Its a toon obviously it isnt serious.
Yeah, that's what I've been saying this entire time, what

It being a cartoon does not grant us the ability to assign the highest possible ability to every single feat. Garfield flashes a threat at them, and they get scared. That's Social Influencing over Fear Manip. Because it is a comic strip, one with a great deal of Toon Force at play, it is irrelevant that this operates on inanimate objects- such a fact is already accounted for by the fact that the world functions on Toon Force, it requires no extra feats to do that.

Garfield rips monday out of the calinder. Next scene its the void showing mondays dont exist anymore- What else do you want?
I thought it was super duper clear bro, no trust me bro, just accept that this is concept manip bro it'll be so funny bro it'll be-

Garfield rips the calendar, screen goes black. This is the entirety of what you have to work with. This being VS Battles, we have attempted to assign it the highest possible interpretation- obviously Garfield must have destroyed the platonic concept of Mondays!- rather than something a bit more sensible, like relating this back to his already shown capacity to **** with time via a calendar. If you wanted to count this as a backup feat for Time Manip, I think that's sound enough. I do not think this is anywhere even remotely close to enough to grant the comic cat Concept Manipulation, for the hahas or not.

Garfield rips the calendar, screen goes black. This is the entirety of what you have to work with. This being VS Battles, we have attempted to assign it the highest possible interpretation- obviously Garfield must have destroyed the platonic concept of Mondays!- rather than something a bit more sensible, like relating this back to his already shown capacity to **** with time via a calendar. If you wanted to count this as a backup feat for Time Manip, I think that's sound enough. I do not think this is anywhere even remotely close to enough to grant the comic cat Concept Manipulation, for the hahas or not.
Alright time manipulation then

Given Bambu's description of it, I think him scaring them with a claw is just a basic threat.
Not even Social Influencing.. If you hold a gun at someone's head and ask them to do something chances are they're gonna do that thing.

7f5pof.jpg

Fear Manipulation doesn't defaultly work on inanimate objects either. When we take into account that Garfield is given Toon Force, we are not required to presume his Social Influencing operates as Fear Manip.
The thing is. Social influencing requires some form of communication as in speech. Fear had can be done with either and Garfield's claws are the source of the dear that can be imparted onto non sentient beings.

I would say the key difference between Social Influencing with a weapon and not is whether the intent to use it is there. Someone robbing a store may well use the firearm, and the threat is very real. Someone robbing the store with a fake gun, knowing it can inflict no actual damage but may scare people that it could, would be using Social Influencing. I think Garfield is more in the second camp.

I would say the key difference between Social Influencing with a weapon and not is whether the intent to use it is there. Someone robbing a store may well use the firearm, and the threat is very real. Someone robbing the store with a fake gun, knowing it can inflict no actual damage but may scare people that it could, would be using Social Influencing. I think Garfield is more in the second camp.
No it's not.
The people don't KNOW that it's a fake gun.
They still think it's real, and that their life can end in any second if they don't comply or the shooter is pissed at them.

You make an extremely convincing argument to never bother assisting a thread you're working on. Truly, instead of making coherent arguments, you have done nothing but bitched and moaned about my rulings and offered nothing in the way of actual counterarguments besides "Look at the image again and you'll see how absolutely set-in-stone the OP is!".

Saddening shit, genuinely. Knock it off and let the adults handle the CRT.

No it's not.
The people don't KNOW that it's a fake gun.
They still think it's real, and that their life can end in any second if they don't comply or the shooter is pissed at them.
Lying convincingly is in fact social influencing. Still, if you feel it is too shaky, I'm fine with not including it, I'm not hard-set on it or anything.

Spamming the thread is a rule violation. Contribute or don't.

It should be noted simply terrorizing the opponent either by authority, strength or demeanour only would qualify as Social Influencing, as Fear Manipulation would allow the user to inflict fear regardless of these factors.

Not sure if tables and stuff can actually understand strenght,authority etc.

Great explanation on how a literal table or whatever being scared means they were somehow scared of garfields paw because of strenght authority or whatever. Not because Garfield uses his toon force to fear hax them.
You've had an explanation, you just refuse to acknowledge it.

If this is all this discussion will be, no real counterpoints, I'm happy to close the thread and allow what has been accepted to be applied.

You've had an explanation, you just refuse to acknowledge it.

If this is all this discussion will be, no real counterpoints, I'm happy to close the thread and allow what has been accepted to be applied.
Your explanation literally was: Its social influencing instead of fear manip because fear manip doesnt work on inanimate objects.

Which is extremely wrong as social influencing working on inanimate objects is so much dumber than garfields fear hax being supernatural

Your explanation literally was: Its social influencing instead of fear manip because fear manip doesnt work on inanimate objects.

Which is extremely wrong as social influencing working on inanimate objects is so much dumber than garfields fear hax being supernatural
No, it wasn't. I'd appreciate if you read dissenting opinions, rather than breezing past them, it may open your eyes a bit.

To be fair he would practically beat anyone that isn't on his level of social influencing regardless of what powers they have

Fear Manipulation doesn't defaultly work on inanimate objects either.
It can work with toon force. Social influencing inanimate objects is just worse.
When we take into account that Garfield is given Toon Force, we are not required to presume his Social Influencing operates as Fear Manip.
His Social Influencing is just stupid as SI is mostly normal and isnt supernatural (Just good talking skills) while fear manip is scaring someone or something in supernatural ways like inanimate objects.

In fact, given the trajectory this thread is on, with two users being issued a warning for offenses committed and clearly no reading of what I'm saying actually being done, I think this is a good time to wrap it up. @Ikelaggan or some diligent other party, do feel free to apply the following:

• Age Manipulation based on what was presented in the OP
  • Weather Manipulation based on what was presented in the OP
  • The argument for Concept Manipulation has been decided to be Time Manipulation, relating back to the Age Manip thing

Based on points from MonkeMan, I'm going to revoke Social Influencing, I can see how my thought process on the subject may have been flawed. I believe that about covers it. Cheers all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back