• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Garen vs Saber

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Bepo raises a good point, the actual amount of durability that Garen bypasses is quite restricted. Besides I'm also not quite sure to what extent Garen's armor can resist magic, as in his lore the Rock Hag was still capable of searching through his memories, the task was just more difficult than it was normally.

Garen's speed is questionable as it is using evidence from the game, which conflicts with numerous other things such as his magic resistant armour. In the cinematics he is never shown to be able to move as fast as Saber. I really don't like this mix and match approach to League of Legend's tiering, where the best feats from the game and lore are combined to make the ultimate profile for them. The game and lore are two separate things.

Fodder Knights were able to no sell Mordekaiser's magic with their armor

The game and lore are not two separate things. This has been discussed and debunked so many times I feel the need to make it a discussion rule so it isnt brought up again.

Is that so? I'm going off this quote from 4 years ago by a Rioter, but am curious as to if they've undone it. When did the game become canon with the lore again?
2018-04-11 10-00-44

Yeah that was back when they retconned the old lore, when the Institute, Fields of Justice, and Summoners were the canon reason that game and lore were separated. Now that theyre gone not only is there nothing separating lore and game, but Riot themselves has come out and said that the game and lore are intertwined, but certain aspects for each are left out so as to not limit either one's potential for growth and change. That coupled with the fact that lore events have directly affected the game itself (ie. Gangplank "dying" during Burning Tides making him unavailable in-game) further strengthen the connection between lore an game.

TwelveElevenTen said:
Is that so? I'm going off this quote from 4 years ago by a Rioter, but am curious as to if they've undone it. When did the game become canon with the lore again?
2018-04-11 10-00-44
The gameplay is not canon but people here refuse to accept it so they can wank street tier characters to town level.

No one is voting for Saber, all the votes at the moment are inconclusive, even Rep

Oh im voting for Saber if that wasn't obvious. Im pretty sure rep will do too after he sees exactly how Garen ignores durability.

WeeklyBattles said:
Fodder Knights were able to no sell Mordekaiser's magic with their armor

The game and lore are not two separate things. This has been discussed and debunked so many times I feel the need to make it a discussion rule so it isnt brought up again.
Any proof, or just empty words and nonsensical scalings?

And 2 for Saber. The inconclusive votes are pretty much invalid since the durability Garen is ignoring is very little and can't one shot Saber

No one is voting for Saber, all the votes at the moment are inconclusive, even Rep

Repp didn't vote inconclusive. And the arguments for Saber here are better imo.

Reppuzan said:
@Kep
So it's a one-shot fight.

Saber one-shots due to having vastly superior AP and the ability to amp her speed with Mana Burst.

Garen one-shots due to True Damage.
Yes he did

Bepo4151 said:
And 2 for Saber. The inconclusive votes are pretty much invalid since the durability Garen is ignoring is very little and can't one shot Saber
There are no health bars here, any durability negation at all is going to be the same and can one shot her regardless

Yes he does, durability negation is durability negation

You will of course provide feats of this other than game mechanics? Besides, he's far less durable than her, and she has a much higher AP than him, hence she needs only a few hits which I feel she'd easily get so I'd give it to Saber 8/10 times.

WeeklyBattles said:
@Regis Garen is faster than her and his durability negation and magic negation can oneshot her
Durability negation and magic which he only shows in game as game mechanics, hence invalid as a feat. Also scaling Garen to Skaarl, when the two of them never met/fought each other/matched each other in terms of speed isn't great scaling.

Its not in any way invalid, just because you for some reason want to ignore things in LoL for no reason doesnt make what you say correct. And this isnt scaling to Skaarl, this is scaling to his own combat speed.

It's less ignoring and more recognising that gameplay =/= lore and you refusing to accept that for some reason. He's never shown such capabilities in any lore related material (save for his statue pulling feat in Legends Never Die MV), so I don't see why his ratings are so high in the first place.

Ah his own combat feat weekly that assumes as a low end that his sword came from 55 kilometers and that assault agreed it is wanked and invalid.

No, its ignoring. Everyone youve argued this with has debunked your arguments and told you that what youre saying is wrong, yet you keep arguing it anyways. It doesnt matter that he hasnt shown it in lore because he has it in game and the game and the lore are connected, something you refuse to accept because you very clearly downplay LoL into the ground whenever you can. You dont see it because you dont want to see it.

No one has actually debunked me at all, you've simply been ignoring me the whole time to so that you get to assume that gameplay mechanics = lore and rate the champs how you wish to. 'It doesn't matter that he hasn't shown it in lore'??? Of course it matters, since League lore is where most/all of the feats come from. If Demacian Justice is a game-only move, for the game and never mentioned in the lore, then why are you assuming that Garen has it in lore?

Reppuzan said:
Saber also has the benefit of Instinct. Since she fought Gae Daerg before, her Instinct won't be fooled by Garen's magic-resistant sword this time around.
Still trying to figure out when Repp changed his vote if he's arguing Sabers skill attributes giving her the win here

@Regis So now youre just flat out ignoring the massive threads in which me, assalt, ever, and heinkel (and to a lesser extent matt) have extensively debunked your arguments

How many times are we going to have to explain it to you before you understand? Because this looks like the 5th

You've never stated anything more than 'they must be connected, look at Burning Tides!', yet when I point out that it's a one time thing only, that many champs have abilities in game that they don't in lore (Galio's Winds of War and Shield of Durand come to mind), and that Riot has explicitly stated that gameplay isn't canon to lore and hasn't rescinded their statement, you just ignore me and repeat your points as if I've never spoken a thing.

With the numerous times numerous people have debunked your claims you basically havent said anything at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back