• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I don't really know a lot about sonic in general, but do we consider all the sonic games canon? I think Rider's at least looks like it falls under another continuity in comparison to everything else before it.

Issue with some of these:

Eggman's way of rewriting history would be with time travel, i'm pretty sure, although time manip is legit.

Resistance Negation is not for powers that just overpower resistance, but for those that either directly attack resistances or just ignore any resistance. Think mind hax standards, and how planetary mind hax>>singular mind hax. Just note that the Chaos Control gets past basic resistance.

Type 4 conceptual manip is a no. Type 4 concepts are still concepts, but governed by human perception. They are not emotions themselves. At most, this would give Dark Gaia's lackeys AE type 1 (because being made of/being a emotion still qualifies for AE) and give Sonic better NPI.

Agree with everything else.

So I don't really know a lot about sonic in general, but do we consider all the sonic games canon? I think Rider's at least looks like it falls under another continuity in comparison to everything else before it.
Not all games are canon, however Riders is canon, it's games like Sonic Spinball that aren't canon (Spinball has the Freendom Fighters)

Only games like Sonic Mania are in a different continuity (in this case the Classic continuity), but most are indeed

I think we're not on the same page here.

Sonic Riders (that's the one I know the most about) does not seem in any form or shape connected to the main line sonic games. What links alls these games together?

Sonic Riders (that's the one I know the most about) does not seem in any form or shape connected to the main line sonic games. What links alls these games together?
Tbh, when you think about it, you couldn't normally build sonic canon from linear game continuity. At least from the separation of Japanese and American classic era canon, to what Sega start in modern era.

Last edited:

Except, as I said, it is connected, anyways it what links the games is if they either have any references in mainline games, and if they have any contradictions, which Riders doesn't have

And for all it's worth, Aaron Webber did say "everything is canon", however take that with a grain of salt

Idk why you are even arguing this, the abilities of the blog are from mainline games

Except, as I said, it is connected, anyways it what links the games is if they either have any references in mainline games, and if they have any contradictions, which Riders doesn't have

And for all it's worth, Aaron Webber did say "everything is canon", however take that with a grain of salt

Idk why you are even arguing this, the abilities of the blog are from mainline games
Because one of the abilities listed in the blog was something from Sonic Riders.
And from just looking at the Sonic Wiki, it doesn't look like any of the Sonic Riders characters ever appear as themselves within any of the other mainline games.

I don't think that means anything about canon or not, they don't appear because they have no reason to, just like there's no reason for the game to be non canon

Because one of the abilities listed in the blog was something from Sonic Riders.
And from just looking at the Sonic Wiki, it doesn't look like any of the Sonic Riders characters ever appear as themselves within any of the other mainline games.
Well to prove 789 point. Characters from sonic riders had an appearance in: crossovers(not important), mobile games(not important), had a cameos/references in mainline games(a bit important) and had an appearance on Sega's comic book(not Archie, IDW and etc. There was a little comic book series made by Sega for celebration of 25-th year of Sonic)

Yes, there is a great reason for the game to not be in the same continuity. Sonic primarily relies on a hoverboard to get around, the main rivals of the game lacking any other appearances throughout the rest of the series.

And the crossovers don't matter, nor does the mobile game, however, if they're shown to have in-universe appearances or allusions to the same characters from Sonic Riders then there is a possibility for it to be considered canon. If there is a canon comic to the games that ties things together that is also fine. However, for all of this, scans should be provided as well.

However, due to how Sonic Riders as a game is very different in comparison to the mainline games along with my above reasons I don't think any of that should be rolled into the current game profiles for Sonic.

You're aware that Sonic is riding a hoverboard because it's the rules of the competition right? It's not because they're faster than him

Also there's no proof the world is any different, just because there's night tech cities doesn't mean it's a complete different world as show in Heroes there's also high tech cities alongside normal ass places,, nothing it's out of the ordinary from what we seen so far.

Yes, there is a great reason for the game to not be in the same continuity. Sonic primarily relies on a hoverboard to get around, the main rivals of the game lacking any other appearances throughout the rest of the series.

And the crossovers don't matter, nor does the mobile game, however, if they're shown to have in-universe appearances or allusions to the same characters from Sonic Riders then there is a possibility for it to be considered canon. If there is a canon comic to the games that ties things together that is also fine. However, for all of this, scans should be provided as well.

However, due to how Sonic Riders as a game is very different in comparison to the mainline games along with my above reasons I don't think any of that should be rolled into the current game profiles for Sonic.
Well.
1. In plot it was more because of an competition. Like you shouldn't run cause you'll be discualified.
2. I already stated that crossovers and mobile are not important, but there's still cameos and Sega reminding of existence of that characters. Although canon in Sonic even in mainline series is very entangled, to built everything and close the contradictions which appeared in series you must try really hard.
3. I agree with @Gilad_Hyperstar here, let's discuss here power and abilities despite of Bible/canon of Sonic.

Okay, then until that thread is made, then Sound Manipulation for Modern sonic should be removed.

If there are previous abilities from riders on the profile then not really since that means staff members previously accepted them as canon.

Sonic uses the Extreme Gears because that's the rules of the tournament, the game literally explains that dude, just play the game, you are arguing Riders is non canon with barely any knoweledge of Riders

There is nothing different from Riders to the main series that isn't explained by the plot

Riders is still canon, you are arguing it's not canon because you say so, when it's already agreed it is canon by actual knowlegeble people in the series, so nothing should be removed

Sonic uses the Extreme Gears because that's the rules of the tournament, the game literally explains that dude, just play the game, you are arguing Riders is non canon with barely any knoweledge of Riders

There is nothing different from Riders to the main series that isn't explained by the plot

Riders is still canon, you are arguing it's not canon because you say so, when it's already agreed it is canon by actual knowlegeble people in the series, so nothing should be removed
I will leave this to another thread for now.

We've already debated Riders' canonicity in a few threads and have come to the conclusion that it is indeed canon. I really don't wanna do that again lol.

@CrimsonStarFallen Thanks for the comment, but I'm pretty sure some staff agreed it was Type 4 CM. Like Cal, but I doubt he's around to ask.

We've already debated Riders' canonicity in a few threads and have come to the conclusion that it is indeed canon. I really don't wanna do that again lol.

@CrimsonStarFallen Thanks for the comment, but I'm pretty sure some staff agreed it was Type 4 CM. Like Cal, but I doubt he's around to ask.
If it's already been discussed then I shall leave it be.

There's a lot of diffenet powers to go over and I don't agree with all of them. I'm typing up the ones I think don't belong and why right now.

Onto other points, I don't think Instinctive Reaction is the right power for the Homing Attack. It's just a homing attack.
The attack itself doesn't activate on instinct, instead, it just automatically homes in which is just a normal homing attack. Instinctively crashing into a weak spot doesn't fall under reactions in the same way that the power itself list out. Probably just add that explanation to home attack. That or Limited Instinctive Reactions.

Teleportation for Swap Monitor, I'm unsure of. Since it only appears in multiplayer, I don't think it would normally constitute as a canon power.
Same for Statistics Reduction for Slow-Down shoes, though that one also seems strange since the link provided points to it only being Statistics Reduction to yourself. So if the power was accepted it would be Self Statistics Reduction.

Resistance to Poisons and Chemical Products, checking the sonic wiki says the Japanese sources simply refer to it as water with an odd coloring. And since that's the orginal source I'm pretty sure it takes priority.

Resistance to BFR, while the ability can be used to get around BFR I don't think it gives resistance. So instead it's just another form of Dimensional Travel.

Resistance to Time Manipulation/Stop, I think its best to list that as a possibly for now unless Sonic has a feat or statement of himself directly resisting these effects.

That's all for classic.

I'm feeling pretty tired at the moment so I'll have to cover modern later.

While I'm here I'll like to add some abilities for Blaze the Cat.

Self-explanatory :

Acrobatics, non-physical interaction, surface scaling, water walking and after-image creation. (scaling to other speed type characters like Sonic and Shadow).

Expert h2h combatant: held her own against Sonic in her debut game Sonic rush (shown here skip to 6:49).

Heat manipulation and resistance to it: freed a group of vikings frozen in ice this way (shown here skip to 3:08:08) and it's already explained on her profile that her flames give her a degree of resistance to heat plus she's indifferent to cold environments such as space.

I was also given permission from the OP to post so it's not a derail, is this ok?

Teleportation for Swap Monitor, I'm unsure of. Since it only appears in multiplayer, I don't think it would normally constitute as a canon power.
Same for Statistics Reduction for Slow-Down shoes, though that one also seems strange since the link provided points to it only being Statistics Reduction to yourself. So if the power was accepted it would be Self Statistics Reduction.
It's canon, you need to stop assuming things are non canon just because

Resistance to Poisons and Chemical Products, checking the sonic wiki says the Japanese sources simply refer to it as water with an odd coloring. And since that's the orginal source I'm pretty sure it takes priority.

Resistance to BFR, while the ability can be used to get around BFR I don't think it gives resistance. So instead it's just another form of Dimensional Travel.

Resistance to Time Manipulation/Stop, I think its best to list that as a possibly for now unless Sonic has a feat or statement of himself directly resisting these effects.

That's all for classic.

I'm feeling pretty tired at the moment so I'll have to cover modern later.
- Chemical Planet is well, a factory filled with toxic chemicals, and these chemicals are also in the water. Sonic (and every other character who travels to Chemical Plant) literally travels through the zone with no issue.

- As for resistance to BFR, It's more like that Sonic can simply escape from BFR by touching the emeralds, or using Chaos Control

- Sonic can traverse the special stages of Sonic CD with no issue whatsoever, despite time clearly not going linearly in the stages, as time can be removed and added back with zero effect on Sonic.

I don't think time is specifically removed (timeless void shizzle), stopped it could be though since Sonic would have needed to outrun time or whatever.

I agree that it should be Limited Instinctive Reactions, actually. Fair point.

Gonna skip over the Swap Monitor and Speed Shoes.

Ninja'd by Gilad.

Ninja'd by Gilad. This isn't exactly a straightforward resistance, you're right, it's just akin to one. I can probably word it better within the blog and apply it to the profiles.

The Time Stones warp/manipulate time within their special stages and Sonic is unaffected by that. That definitely constitutes as a feat for the resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back