• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Game of Thrones Final Season Discussion Thread 1 (SPOILERS!)

People are boarding the hate train because Season 8 has very large and clear writing flaws, has derailed and ruin character arcs, and uses very obvious shoehorns to get the plot going. If it was something simple that people could overlook then they would overlook it.

Things are seemingly moving too fast, that's why character arcs seem to be getting ruined as we are not given enough time and info to understand the characters' motivations. Perhaps they should have taken it slow.

I understand the motives perfectly. Characters ARE staying true to their characters and all character development went out the window which is logical when the say goes like this; "people never change" and the "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

AppleLord said:
Characters ARE staying true to their characters
You mean like how Jaime had all of his character progression wiped away and his morals took a complete 180 for no reason?

all character development went out the window which is logical when the say goes like this; "people never change" and the "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

At most that explains Dany. Everything else is just bad writing to hit key notes and finish the series.

I don't have any problem with Jamie. He loved Cersei and that's why he did what he did.

The writers tried to make sense of the Daenerys situation in their "Inside the Episode" video. They should have elaborated on that in the show itself though.

This episode was actually worse than episode 3. Jaimes redemption arc was ruined. He states in this episode he doesn't care about the innocents in Kings landing when his most character defining moment is him saving the innocent people of kings landing from getting burnt to death. The whole point of his arc is to move away from Cersei, especially when she kills hundreds of people with wildfire. Exactly what the mad king was going to do before he killed him. His best moment in the series where he confesses to Brienne is pointless now. Season 8 is a 0/10.

Actions > words. He didn't mean it when he said he doesn't care about the innocents. It was just that his love for Cersei dwarfs everything else to the point of non-existence. And guess what, he never stopped loving her. And she never stopped loving him.

A redemption arc is so cliche. I liked how his love ultimately won and overcame the cliche power of redemption ovo

Skylietz said:
Jon will likely murder the Mad Queen in the end, and going black once again to avoid being forced to become the King of The Seven Ashes, he despises the idea of becoming a big leader afterall
well said

Maybe Martin asked HBO to make the story as worse as possible than the original after being departed from the original source to make fans waiting for the books, might be an endless waiting I guess lol

Might be the worst season of any show I've ever watched. They didn't need Martin to produce decent writing. If random people on the internet can clearly see and point out tonnes of flaws, professional writers with years of experience should be able to do a lot better. It's just basic writing errors

>Bran said he doesn't want to be King a while ago

>Now suddenly is ok with the idea

Otherwise this episode was incredibly disappointing and almost nothing happened in a hour long episode, Jon kills dany/goes back to the black for no reason, Bran is king, everyone is happy and that's it

When Sam suggests a democracy everyone laughs because traditions and being narrow minded but somehow they're ok with the idea of a complete system change with kings being elected and no one inheriting the throne. They're all ok with a Northman being the king whilst simultaneously the North is independent, and none of them also push for their kingdoms to be independent.

Somehow Tyrion receives no punishment at all for his betrayal because Bran demands it as the King yet bran doesn't do the same with Jon. Tyrion is actually rewarded with a title, Greyworm somehow accepts that. The Dothraki who love to conquer/pillage and were inspired by Daenarys with speeches just end up leaving with no fuss etc etc etc. Could write an essay on how dumb this episode and season was.

Best episode ever. Matter of fact, episode 6 was way better than the whole season combined, but season 8 was unsatisfactory to many people because they raised their expectation to high. I don't blame them for doing so, since it happens to me everytime something new about Kubo is announced. (Waiting for that Bleach anime to comeback. T.T)

Anyways, I cried at the end of the episode. My brother at Hodor's death scene, but the last scene with John Snow becoming the King beyond the wall broke me.

Nevertheless, this ending is open to a lot of interpretations and can be a good source material for fanfictions. :D

The fight scenes could had been done better, character development wasn't throw out the window for Jamie as we all thought. Jamie knew that he couldn't stop loving Cersei no matter how much he tried to change. Love overcomes all bounds, but ...

Game-of-thrones-in-one-sentence-if-you-think-this-5064076

P.S.

I was disappointed that the Littefinger theory didn't become true, I was crossing my fingers for it, but nope, it did not happen.

So, instead of killing Jon, Drogon decided to melt the stupid throne which caused so much pain and ultimately led his mother to her death. That's pretty cool i'll admit.

"All of this for a ******* chair!"- Drogon 2019

I would had have Drogon try to burn Jon and him surviving the fire since it doesn't follow the books. Have Drogon respect his desition and have Jon ride the dragon above her army saying "I'm the rigthful ruler, Aegon Targeryon-" ala Avater style, or something like that but that's not realistic.

Jon isn't fireproof tho.

They could have done much better with this season but they threw all of that away for making it "unexpected".

AKM sama said:
Jon isn't fireproof tho.
They could have done much better with this season but they threw all of that away for making it "unexpected".
I don't remember Jon been burned before in the series and the show's Targaryen are different from the books, but since Jon is only half-blood I suppose he would burn, yes.

Qawsedf234 said:
Jon was burned in season 1 by a lantern when he used it to kill a Wight.
Whoa, I'm surprised you can remember that from so long ago. Thanks correcting me.

Back