• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Frankenstein's Monster (Mary Shelley) Hax Revision/Clarification

I've been referencing The Creature's page here for a while as I'm using him in one of my written VS matchups, and something has occured to me that seems to be misleading about the profile in its current state. One of The Creature's listed abilities is Pain Resistance with no citation as to where this comes from in the original text, and I'm interested to know where this supposedly comes from because nothing in the original text suggests that he has any special resistances to pain. To prove it, here are quotes from the text which show that The Creature feels pain as much as any human.

Chapter 11: "One day, when I was oppressed by cold, I found a fire which had been left by some wandering beggars, and was overcome with delight at the warmth I experienced from it. In my joy I thrust my hand into the live embers, but quickly drew it out again with a cry of pai."

Chapter 13: "I wished sometimes to shake off all thought and feeling, but I learned that there was but one means to overcome the sensation of pai, and that was death—a state which I feared yet did not understand."

Chapter 16: "This was then the reward of my benevolence! I had saved a human being from destruction, and as a recompense I now writhed under the miserable pain of a wound which shattered the flesh and bone. The feelings of kindness and gentleness which I had entertained but a few moments before gave place to hellish rage and gnashing of teeth. Inflamed by pai, I vowed eternal hatred and vengeance to all mankind. But the agony of my wound overcame me; my pulses paused, and I fainted."

Also Chapter 16: "The ball had entered my shoulder, and I knew not whether it had remained there or passed through; at any rate I had no means of extracting it. My sufferings were augmented also by the oppressive sense of the injustice and ingratitude of their infliction."

Pain Resistance is clearly not something that The Creature has based on these quotes. I'm sure there are more that would further prove it in the text, but these should be sufficient evidence in my eyes. He obviously has a high level of pain tolerance, but nothing that should lead someone to believe that he has any special resistances or immunities to it. Therefore, I see no reason as to why Pain Resistance should be something listed as a notable ability for Frankenstein's Monster.

The most I could maybe see is that he can resist more pain than a normal human, but I agree that he shouldn't have that power.

Back