• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CurrySenpai

She/Her
FC/OC VS Battles
Content Moderator
Sup, it's me the SAO scaler turned Roblox scaler turned Project Moon scaler here to do something on fighting games.

I don't know if this goes in Staff Discussion since it's going to apply to a whole genre of games and a (unwritten) rule/policy.

The topic of today is Instant Kill moves in Fighting Games and how they scale to characters, the general consensus has been that Instant Kill moves such as Astral Finishes from Blazblue, Finishers in Mortal Kombat and etc. aren't usable on profiles in anyway. I wholly disagree with this idea albeit in a different way.

My reasoning being is that despite it being an instant kill move commonly requiring a lot of prerequisites to perform such as Red Health and 100 meter or something among those lines it is still a move or ability that the character has within their arsenal, it's something that the character is clearly capable of doing from a narrative standpoint and not just a gameplay standpoint.

For characters such as Makoto from BlazBlue her astral finish fragments the moon and that would very easily be a strong and calcable feat, others are shown to have some other abilities as well so I believe they should go on their page as AP values or additions.

Now I do agree that it should not scale immediately to AP values among other things, in fact I think unless stated otherwise in a story mode or the like it is best that a instant kill move is put on a page as a separate attack that a character can do due to the nature of said attacks.

So tl;dr: Instant Kill moves should be allowed to be used on fighting game character profiles and under certain circumstances even scale to others AP, not just their own.

Disagree with the Makoto example, scaling dubiously canon Finisher's to other characters especially doesn't make sense. A lot of Finishers are exaggerated and just for flair, whatever canon can be taken from them should not be given without second though

If it's consistent with the lore / story then whatever

Last edited:
Disagree with the Makoto example, scaling dubiously canon Finisher's to other characters especially doesn't make sense. A lot of Finishers are exaggerated and just for flair, whatever canon can be taken from them should not be given without second though

If it's consistent with the lore / story then whatever
Well the Makoto example isn't one that would scale to other characters for example it'd be High 7-C, (Insert Tier Here) with Planet Crusher.

Also I don't get the exaggerated and flair argument, it's a move that they have and are capable of doing, there is nothing suggesting that it just isn't possible or what happened isn't what literally happened. Tons of other media have things like that but still get counted as real feats.

Astral Finishes from BlazBlue aren’t unusable though, the High 7-C calc literally comes from King of Tager which is canonically used as it’s a requirement to unlock one of Tager’s endings. Makoto’s astral isn’t usable not because of the power gap but because it’s a massive outlier with how early on in the series she can use it, yet characters stronger than her have to tag team against a tier 6 character, on top of the fact she never uses it canonically in the story.

Last edited:
Astral Finishes from BlazBlue aren’t unusable though, the High 7-C calc literally comes from King of Tager which is canonically used as it’s a requirement to unlock one of Tager’s endings. Makoto’s astral isn’t usable not because of the power gap but because it’s a massive outlier with how early on in the series she can use it, yet characters stronger than her have to tag team against a tier 6 character.
Damn this must be a misunderstanding then cause I was under some weird impression we just did not accept instant kill moves period

Nah we do only when it follows certain criteria like if it’s canonically done in the series and if it’s consistent in the series (though the latter is just common sense with any series being power scaled). Tager’s astral finish checks off both since the next big feat in the series far outclasses his feat, but stuff like Makoto’s astral finish or Cetrion’s fatality which is not only never shown canonically, but is heavily contradicted in the story mode where the cast struggles with weaker feats in the story, making it harder to scale to the cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back