• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Feat Question

The equation for cutting is:
Width of the cutting surface (ie, thickness of the edge of the blade) = w
Area of the cut = A
Shear strength of the material = s
Energy = w*A*s

Last edited:
The equation for cutting is:
Width of the cutting surface (ie, thickness of the edge of the blade) = w
Area of the cut = A
Sheer strength of the material = s
Energy = w*A*s
If there was no visual feat then how do we know the area of the cut?

If there was no visual feat then how do we know the area of the cut?
You can use the cross section of a cone. If you don’t know dimensions of the mountain, you can likely use the “small mountain” from here which has a diameter of 2180.2 m and height of 609.6 m making its cross section a triangle with an area of 664524.96m^2
Sheer Strength of the material? Can you give an example
Meant to write shear strength, my bad.
Here are some shear strengths for rocks

Last edited:
@Blahblah9755

So i have running into some problem lately. Firstly, i don't know which calculator i should used to give the same result for cross section above. Secondly, i don't know what is the units of the equation for cutting

Last edited:
Do you mean the result for the NnT calc? If so, that’s based on kinetic energy, so it’s not a calc of the cut itself but of the movement of the two halves. This can only be done if you know how far the mountain’s halves moved, and how quickly.
For units for cutting, the easiest way is to use m for thickness, m^2 for area, pascal for shear strength, and joules for energy (because a pascal is 1N/m^2 or 1J/m^3). Though, if you use google calculator it automatically calculates unit conversions as well.

Hmm, this feat are entirely statement based so i don't know about how fast it is. If i know about the timeframe when the character swing their sword then does it count?

Hmm, this whole thing seem too complicated for a simple statement like that. I will request it in calc request thread instead.

Thank for your help anyway. I've learnt a new calc method so your effort wasn't wasted btw.

Back