• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Favorite type of character?

Exactly what it says on the tin. What is your favorite types of character? The stoic father figure? The silly sidekick? The edgy antihero? Any others?

My favorite is the trolly reality warpers (Discord, Mxyzptlk, ect.). Rarely, if ever, fails to get a laugh out of me.

Male: The energetic and friendly bro type characters. Good natured and fun to be around. Sometimes being a idiot makes them more endearing. The other is the sarcastic, chill but badass guys. See Dante or Date Masamune for those guys. Trolls are amazing as well.

Female: The strong, independent and badass females that don't take anyone's shit. Characters like Erza and Bayonetta come to mine.

the ones that are like;

All humans are afraid of monsters, the monsters they keep inside of them, they drove the species who are able to expose the monsters in them down the purgatory underground. There, in the purgatory deep inside the Earth where people are made, he was born. He hated, and loved, the monster that is forming inside of him more than anyone else. Together with his second mother, he climbed up to the world where the people who have driven him into the underground live. However, at that time, it was too late. This world above ground is waiting for its slow death, same as the people who are continue to stay there. This world, this surface, is the realm of the dead, and this species called humans, they have built for themselves a world of twilight. There, he met a ghost called "Father". His second mother, who has come to this Netherworld with him, remained there. While he returned to the purgatory where he was born. That place, the place where he lives, that purgatory that should be the last world of humans...

Fried Shrimp.

I like sassy characters, but the ones I usually gravitate to are the one's like the terrarian and the chosen undead; characters like that usually surprisaly have a lot of characterization and they are badass who fight on for what ever they believe in (like that one end cutscene of dark souls 2 where Aldia is talking about what your'll do with your fate and the bearer of the curse clutches his fist like a badass).

My favorite character is the strong leader type. One that isn't the perfect Mary Sue, but is reliable and strong. Artanis comes to mind for this role. Understanding yet a total beast in battle. Only a real man (alien?) can walk away from a planet exploding after slaughtering an army of enemies.

Male:Characters like Lucifer Morningstar and John Constantine , I like manipulative bastards who don't give a sh*t most of the time.

Female: Characters like DoTE , Lettie Hempstock , and Clementine.I like Death and Lettie because their characters who are extremely powerful yet has personality and acts like a human..most of the time.Lettie is like this so mysterious character.Clementine because she isn't a mary sue, plus I love character development

I personally prefer the Overpowered,Dominant,Genius and Badass male leads that always seem to have "Control of the Situation" being good looking is optional but i prefer them to look handsome nonetheless.

Examples Include but not limited to

Aizen (Top Example)

Tatsuya Shiba (He had his profile deleted here sadly enough)

Sebastian Michaelis

Shizuo Heiwajima

Accelerator

Ainz

and so on (i probably forgot a lot)

As for females,i have no preference really i just want them to have a relatable story and character to myself like Makoto Niijima

MrKingOfNegativity said:
Shizuo is a "genius who always has control of the situation"?
Yes :^)

Prefer him faaar more than izaya well...i admit he's not the smartest but at least he knows how to be dominant and knows how to control the situation he is in

Personally, I don't think I really have a single "type" of character I like. I could name plenty of good, likable character traits that appeal to me, but at the end of the day, it's all about the writing and whether or not I feel like it works for whatever the character is trying to be.

I guess the common denominators are "originality" and "good execution". Without either of those, any character is going to fall flat on their ass in my eyes.

Probably the most boring answer I could've put down, but whatever.

Reinhard Heydrich is a villian i really liked due to his commanding nature never feeling cornered at all. Unlike most villains who breakdown when things don't go according to plan he never loses face. So does Mercurius he in fact laughs if things don't go his way like reinhard simply enjoying himself at the unknown. Goku Black was also pretty compelling and had motives that are better than what I got from franchise.

Though I also like sarcasstic, cocky badasses like Sonic, Dante or Deadpool, simple badasses like Akuma, rage users who have a meaningful motive looking badass while doing it like Asura from AW or simple likable energetic characters (goku and naruto come to mind sorry lol)

So I don't have a true archtype but these do come at the top of my head: Likable heroes that are awesome and have a good feel on them and villains who are simply take control but never truly lose the wheel at all

This is a bit of a difficult question for me to answer; it really depends on the verse. But I suppose a strong leader is very consistent with many of my favorite characters. Pretty much every Fire Emblem Protagonist fits the bill; and especially Marth.

Well to be honest pretty much any archetype of character I can like, but If I had to say.

For male and female, I like Stoic, Calm, badasses who say what they need to, and get the job done, without them losing their caring side to them. Alucard (Castlevania) fits this bill perfectly.

Is it okay to say characters I don't like?

I'm just going to repeat what I said but whatever.I really, really, REALLY like characters like Death, Elaine , Lettie, and Lucifer.They seem normal, or maybe just odd humans on the surface but the surface is just that something that obscures layers and layers of a depth that could be unfathomable.These type of enigmatic and powerful characters are really interesting due to how they interact with the normal humans around them.Like when Death of the Endless became mortal named Diddie or the relationship between the Protagonist and the Hempstocks in the Ocean at the End of the Lane

Sarcastic fundogs definitely... err rather, people who know how to keep positive despite the odds, and not "YOU HURT FREND WROOOOAAAARARR NAKAMA PAAAAAAAAAAANCH!".

Examples:

Thor (MCU)

Surtur: "Thor. Son of Odin."

Thor: "Surtur. Son of... a btch, you're still alive."

-

Kirito (SAO Abridged)

Kirito: "I may not be a doctor, but I don't like her chances." (on Yoruko falling out a window on the second floor)

-

LEGAL Locksmith

"If life shuts a door, open it again. It's a door. That's how they work."

-

Emiya Shirou (Fate Franchise)

Shirou: "I'll walk you home, simply because I'm such a nice person, not a horrible worm-rapist."

-

Honoka Maki (Kiznaiver)

Yuuta: "Judging by your appearance, you rank pretty high, Honoka-chan. Above all, your boobs are huge."

Honoka: "I think yours were even bigger than mine in middle school." (Yuuta used to be fat)

Oooh this is a hard one for me. So far, i kind of like characters who can get berserk as **** from any kind of crap they take or have thrown at them but still somehow and someway be a hero in the end. Like one that's not on the wikia named Naofumi Iwatani. This ************ gets crap thrown at him for not only being the "weakest" of the four heroes (Four heroes summoned from different universes that each wield a sword, spear, bow, and shield individually to help save another world that gives them said weapon), has like NOBODY ******* team up with him save for one chick only to later get framed for "raping" her and gets shunned even more. With the only reason of him still being there is that he's required to fill the role of being one of the four heroes so he ends like the butt monkey of the group. But he gets better overtime and is also kind to those that swear loyalty and/or such to him. He's from "Rising of the Shield Hero" or the like, very good story.

Edit: Did i mention that the above was him just one day after he and three others got thrown into another world from their original worlds? Well that's literally what happened to Naofumi, and even gets treated like a villain for like...the first 4-5 volumes of the story if not 6.

Another type of character i also like is someone whose also a hero and doesn't mind if he doesn't get anything in return as long as he does what he thinks it's right for everyone and the world. And this is something that's actually done for good and all and not some deslusional mindset. Whether the guy or even girl of this type is a rebel or a hero of some known fame that basically goes and help and save matters is the kind i like.

Another type is basically something like the first three JoJo's of JJBA...just that.

Villains? Think something like Dio Brando, Reinhard Heydrich and Mercurius, and something like the Chaos Gods of Warhammer if they count for that kind although what they are is something they pretty much personify though? Hard to say for me on the villains side for here.

Nice, friendly, good-natured, "boy scout" characters who do the right thing, simply because they believe it to be the right thing. They may be trusting a little naive, but aren't stupid. Usually have a playful or impish side to them.

On the other side, I love villains who are intelligent, but also powerful as hell (relative to the verse) who doesn't take shit from anyone (until the worf effect comes into play, at least) who can plan just as efficiently as they can fight. Despite being wicked and cruel, they're not completely heartless and may have loved ones, whether that be family or even close friends. Although they hate the heroes of the story, they may be willing to perform an "enemy of my enemy is indeed my friend" situation when they realize it would be beneficial for them. They usually also have some sense of honor too.

Darkanine said:
Nice, friendly, good-natured, "boy scout" characters who do the right thing, simply because they believe it to be the right thing. They may be trusting a little naive, but aren't stupid. Usually have a playful or impish side to them.

On the other side, I love villains who are intelligent, but also powerful as hell (relative to the verse) who doesn't take shit from anyone (until the worf effect comes into play, at least) who can plan just as efficiently as they can fight. Despite being wicked and cruel, they're not completely heartless and may have loved ones, whether that be family or even close friends. Although they hate the heroes of the story, they may be willing to perform an "enemy of my enemy is indeed my friend" situation when they realize it would be beneficial for them. They usually also have some sense of honor too.
About the villains, how's Vergil

I have a fetish for amoral truth seekers characters. Not the good doormat scientist nor the obviously evil mad scientist, someone who's neither good nor evil yet still ambitious enough to be an active force within the story. Someone like Colress I'd say.

Though other than that, there aren't a lot of character archetypes that strikes me as my favorite outside of that.

Call me childish but I like reading about younger heroes myself.

I don't like my stories overly edgy, so I like seeing a kid being able to kick ass and generally make the world a safe place.

It's part of the reason why I've become rather attached to some of the newer comic book heroes like Jon Kent, Damian Wayne, and Kei Kawade since they're equal parts adorable, likable, flawed, and powerful.

Yes, Damian is edgy, but he can also be really adorable when he actually has to be emotional (i.e. his ears turning bright red after being hugged).

I prefer my protagonists to be nice. Not necessarily goody-two-shoes, but nice enough to make me care about them and not be an utter asshole/typical angsty or show-off teen. Extra points if they're nerdy (i.e. Izuku Midoriya).

Granted, I do read more adult material from time to time (but I can admit that my first R-Rated movie was Deadpool, leading to the first time I sat through a sex scene), but I simply don't like things that are so depressing and dark that you can't care about them. Humorless things are slogs to get through and humorless protagonists are simply unrelatable.

I don't have a particular preference for villains, but I simply want them to be interesting or at least memorable. Kreia is notable for deconstructing the teachings of both the Jedi Order and the Sith and making me think about both of them. Dio Brando is a meme fountain and the delivery of Takehito Koyasu cemented him in my memory.

I don't like villains like Yhwach, who simply steamroll everything to the point that the author writes themselves into a corner and can't think of any way for the protagonist to win, leading to annoying ass pulls. Yhwach is grandiose and powerful, but is really lacking in motives beyond "take revenge for Quincies and take over the world". Thus I don't really care about him.

@Gargoyle

In hindsight, I guess I've preferred male protagonists for one reason or another, maybe they're more relatable?

As for females, I guess I like girls that are determined and competent but at the same time human enough to show that they aren't just a typical straw feminist archetype.

Momo Yaoyorozu is a good example of this. She's strong, smart, and determined with a great superpower, but is horribly awkward in ordinary social matters due to how rich she is. She also suffers from self-doubt after being completely trounced on live television, which is understandable for a teenage girl.

I've also liked the motherly type characters who would do anything to protect their children.

Well, something can be dark and edgy while being humorous, albeit dark humor. LISA comes to mind.

Though thinking back, I do seem to prefer Grey characters vastly more than White ones or even Black ones. To me, a fully good character is a bit boring and unrealistic. Same for villains. Though it's far more interesting to me when the hero/villain distinction isn't crystal clear or even existent. Look at White Face for a good example.

I've always been partial to the average joes that are just the normal guys and not the big heroes. Like, the heroes are off doing other things and we see what the average soldier is doing. It gives perspective on the scale of the story, and see how less important people are affected by it.

Star Wars does this particularly well in The Clone Wars, giving tons of individual clones distinct looks and personality even if they're all technically just the same person. Tenn Graneet from the Death Star novel is similarly just an average Imperial soldier, he just happens to be the guy who shot the superlaser at Alderaan, so the novel focuses on his emotional reaction to the event and his eventual redemption. Again, this guy is just a random soldier, but the novel gives him an entire character.

As for villains, I'm always a fan of the "semi-eldritch". The villain, while not a cosmic horror, is a purely alien being who just isn't like anything the heroes have ever seen. It gives me a sense of intimidation when the villain(s) are completely unlike all previous ones, forcing the heroes to adapt to the new threat. Favorite example being the Yuuzhan Vong.

I feel you. I almost always younger heroes over adult heroes. Theirs something about the childlike innocence and idealistic world view that's inspiring and warm, and that's emotions I want to feel over the more dour and sad themes more gritty/"edgy" works provide.

Heroes: I enjoy serious-but-can-still-have-fun kind of characters. Ignis from FFXV is a good example of this. He's intelligent, knowledgable, even tempered and eloquent but will make bad jokes and puns just like the rest of the crew.

I also like the friendly but competent character. The guy/gal who tries to be nice and build bridges. However, if push comes to shove, they won't hestitate to fight and do what needs to be done. The kind of character who you can see why people would follow them. Paragon Commander Shepard falls into this.

Villians: Ruthless and unstable- Bad guys who are dangerous, good at what they do but also clearly lost some marbles but not in any way that detracts from their threat level. Cobra Commander from G.I. Joe is a brilliant example. Another is Doflamingo from One Piece.

Supremely powerful and intelligent- The evil guy whose strong, knows he's strong but is still intelligent and conducts himself apporiately. The kind that a lot of thought and effort has to go into to even think about inconviencing him. Think Nicol Bolas from Magic the Gathering.

A perfectionist pedantic ass monkey who would rather burn a stained table, throw it outta window, then nuke the hell out of it rather that just simply cleaning it

Yeah, I agree on that younger characters do seem to make great protagonists as well; but I'm neutral regarding gender preference of the hero. Teenagers are overall my favorite age group to have the protagonist be. Another reason I love both Fire Emblem and Zelda.

Back