• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Favorite Genres

CrossverseCrisis

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
Just a topic that i feel that maybe it'd be good to share with everyone.

What are people's favorite genres here? It doesn't matter if it's from a manga/anime or a comic book or a tv show or, especially, books and novels. Just anything of the themes and elements they have in them.

For me as an example, i pretty much like anything that has action, adventure, and comedy in it along with fantasy in them if there's any that involves magic or the supernatural. And if you guys feel like it enough, you can detail as to why it appeals to you...if you want.

Any shared faves on what people like? It could also just be many or little, and doesn't have to be your TOP faves. Just simply ones that appeal to your tastes in any form of media entertainment.

I'm a huuuge fan of Science-Fantasy myself. One of my favorite game series is Phantasy Star, which has this amazing science-fantasy vibe to it, especially in the later games in the original series. Notably, the newer games in the franchise are more science fiction with some fantasy elements like mythical beast and magic. Voltron: Legendary Defender, He-Man (2002) and some of TMNT are other good Science-Fantasy works.

I'm also a fan of down to Earth, slice of life series. I absolutely adore The Peanuts for it's down to Earth, mellow sense of humor, combined with the incredibly mean spirited tone, yet sense of optimism. I also really like the show Arthur for having a mellow, relaxing and grounded in reality approach to story telling. I'm also a big fan of The Loud House for similar reasons.

I also typically enjoy Henshin/Tokusatsu media, like Super Sentai, Power Rangers and my newest fixation, Miniforce. Theirs just something about the way the equipment, suits, monsters and, well, everything else is designed is so damn cool. Miniforce may not be the best series I've watched, but the designs for the rangers are on point.

Other then that, I love Adventure and Mystery series. A few months ago I watched this series called "Legend Quest" (Or Las Leyendas in the original spanish), which is this great adventure show set in the 1800s. If you like adventure shows like Gravity Falls and Martin Mystery, it's in the same vain.

I'm not picky, since I love just everything about all genres - as long as it is well-written - but I have an inclination towards Fantasy (High, Low and Urban) and Comedy.

I'm a flight simulator guy through and through, hell that's where I get my name from.

Hyped for Ace Combat 7 and have no intention of leaving the skies soon.

I'm also a fan of fighting games and hack and slash.

I'm of the same. As long as the story and everything in it are well-written and not loads worth of cringy-ness, i can go along with it finely enough.

At least personally, I was talking in general. Also, I disagree. I don't like the gameplay of my favourite game of all time all that much because there are tricks easy to exploit and it's somewhat repetitive but:

Saying that the plot is awesome is an understatement.

I never formed an emotional bond so strong with other characters (only work of fiction that made me cry in the last decade).

Also how is the plot supposed to be good if the characters aren't?

Characters can be be good without plot but plot can't be good without characters, your 100% correct.

Also there are always exceptions, such as the best tell tale games like the walking dead where gameplay takes a back seat to great characters, And Bayonetta or DMC takes focus on characters and gameplay.

Never focused on a genre.

As long as what i have appeals to me (characters,plot and all that) then i will play or read the series no matter it's genre.

Yeah, I typically enjoy story and characters over gameplay myself. I love the Magical Series, especially Magical Starsign. The gameplay is really bad for RPG affairs, it's so, clunky and shallow. The end game basically boils down to fighting a bunch of damagesponges and pray you win.

The story though? It's fantastic. All the characters have unique and believable relationships with each other and they all seem like close friends. It doesn't hurt that they have this pre-established history that you never see, leading credence that these are a group of close friends going on a adventure through the cosmos with each other. It's just really nice. The plot itself was pretty cool too, a space adventure through a magical solar system with tons of cool worlds and unique cultures.

On the other hand, theirs this game called "The Magical Land of Wozz". It has surprisingly well written characters that you really care about. They all go through character arcs and they have a nice chemistry and each have unique character relationships with one another. But, the plot was awful. It was very mechanical, like the events only happened because they were written to happen. I know that sounds obvious, but it didn't feel natural. The story just kept extending itself by introducing new places and it never felt like a natural progression. I never did finish the game, despite loving the characters.

Then you have gems like Opoona, which have awesome story, awesome gameplay and awesome characters, but I swear no one played that game but me and like 4 other guys.

ALRF said:
Never focused on a genre.

As long as what i have appeals to me (characters,plot and all that) then i will play or read the series no matter it's genre.
Even a flight sim? Ace Combat Zero is excellent in the characters in story department, though most say 5 is the best.

AC4 has bar none the best antagonist however.

Fantasy, Action and Adventure, not a real Horror fan. Though I think it's ok but I find Horror games have better stories and characters then Horror movies.

LordGriffin1000 said:
Though I think it's ok but I find Horror games have better stories and characters then Horror movies.
I have this tendency to find the lore and backstory in horror games to be far more interesting than the games themselves.

The last horror movie I watched was "Alien Abductio", which is based off local folklore. The movie was awful, but funny in a way, I guess.

Back