• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Enough with the spam pages

KingPin0422

Derp Idol
Joke Battles
Retired
This isn't funny anymore. In fact, it never was funny. Spam always has been and always will be a major problem facing the Internet as a whole.

On top of causing certain devices to crash whenever they try to load spam pages, the lack of attention given to them gives off the impression that spamming is acceptable, thus resulting in even more spam pages popping up.

I get that this wiki is meant to be much more relaxed than the main VS Battles site, but there are certain things we should never allow under any circumstance.

Just recently, I had to delete a page that was roughly 2,000,000 bytes in size. It's also worth noting that it was created last month, and nothing has been done about it.

I'm genuinely disappointed in this wiki for being so lenient that spam pages are becoming the norm.

(P.S. This is in General Discussion and not News and Announcements because unfortunately, I have barely any authority to change wiki policies. Generally speaking, only a Bureaucrat has that right.)

I honestly don't know where to draw the line

Since spam is discouraged, but not outright banned, I don't know where the line draws to say "enough is enough"

If someone is spamming, and it is still within the rules, I don't believe I am being fair if I just go out starting deleting pages with slightly more spam, while keeping those with slighty less.

My largest pages are below 30.000 bytes and that's the Illuminati and dva infinity max downplayed are I only add a few categories to them nothing actually major mainly the Illuminati

This. Just all of this. I usually don't like to assert my opinion in an aggressive manner, as I am generally speaking a lax guy, but yeah...the spam has got to go period. Just discouraging it doesn't cut it anymore. We've made entire threads, regulations and even a freaking profile doing the whole "pretty please don't do this, even though you can" thing. It's time to hunker down with some new rules, or else this will only get worse (granted it's gotten a lot better than it was mere moths ago, but still...).

Also people, for Christ's sake, can you not put shameless plugs in a serious thread?

Jeez, My page The Spammy Absolute which has over 2,000,000 bytes was deleted, it was supposed to be a spam record

See, Useless, that normally wouldn't be a bad thing in of itself, but it's gotten to a point where satirical spam moking actual spam has gotten as profilic and cancerous as said actual spam.

Uselessnoob245 said:
Yellowpig10 said:
what page was over 1,000,000 bytes 0.0
Jeez, My page The Spammy Absolute which has over 2,000,000 bytes was deleted, it was supposed to be a spam record
How did you even edit it? my computer freezes up when I try to edit a page with 1.5M bytes (Which I should delete btw)

I think we need

• A byte limit
  • Quality control
  • Banning of just repeatedly putting the same word over and over and over and over again.
Where exactly to draw this line I'm unsure though.

I think the byte limit should be around 500,000 or maybe even 4,000,000

And we should be removing spam of the same word over and over again, if you have to scroll down more than once before you reach the end of it, it should be removed

Less is more with byte limit IMO. I'm fine with what most of the staff and community wants though.

My idea

We can have a byte limit, but that byte limit only applies to spam.

All information that exists outside the spam is seperate from the byte limit.

Megamangohan said:
My idea
We can have a byte limit, but that byte limit only applies to spam.

All information that exists outside the spam is seperate from the byte limit.
I'm fine with lots of information, but spaming the same word should be banned and removed

Back