• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Encouragement of other characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestial_Pegasus

VS Battles
Administrator
So as I and probably many others have noticed, there tends to be certain characters that are always spammed: Reyhard Heydrich, God Emperor of Mankind, DB characters, Sans, Yukari etc etc. We have 10,987 characters on this website, and yet only a handful of characters are used, and it's always the same characters over and over, and when different characters are used, they don't get any attention, I think this is quite sad, and that something should be done, out of the many characters we have on this site the same ones keep being used, while even in their own verse which have other interesting characters, they are ignored for the same character.

I think we should encourage the use of other characters, of course everyone is free to use whatever characters they want but I think in order to diversify and give more characters attention, it is necessary to encourage and make known that other characters do exist, you don't have to keep spamming the same characters repeatedly.

TBH there is a lot of popular VS debates feature very popular and iconic characters as I noticed that may be a common, but less noticeable trend that seems to be repeating itself from what I observe. Heck even the less popular characters from other franchises doesn't have the noticeable attention when it comes to VS debating, but I think it has to due to how not everyone will be familiar with every character they know as well to be fair.

People use characters they are familiar with yes, and make matches with character they have seen being spammed or heard is op, but i don't see why when someone goes to say idk Reinhard Heydrich, they don't go the masadaverse verse page or category and try to use other characters, like have you seen these guys hax? Why wouldn't you try to use the other hax characters instead of spamming Reinhard all the time, he isn't the only character in the verse, it doesn't make much sense to me.

We can encourage changes and stuff, but when it come to VS debates, it seems a lot of users doesn't typically do that to visit verse pages and stuff as they don't have the time to spend their time or elsewhere.

Poor me I staying up too long and I think I should take a full nap before I get a headache. *shrugs as he is awfully tired now*

Well, I am afraid that we cannot force people to respond to versus threads that they are uninterested in.

That is true, but i think we could at least have a small note somewhere that says that we have over 10,000+ characters on here and encourage the use of as many as possible, and there are more characters to use than just Goku, Reinhard, Yukari etc even in their own verses, or something like that, not looking for a rule or anything just simply encouragement.

Idk what can be done tbh, I'd love people to be able to use less notable characters, but we can't force people to, and for those who do, they don't usually get the love they deserve.

Yes. I'm afraid that I don't think that mentioning this in the Versus Thread Rules page seems appropriate, or that people would follow the advice.

I agree, but again, I do not think that people will change their behaviour just because I try to order them around.

I have tried to think of things in the past to try and get people engaged more in vs debating by expanding on what we can do with threads, but since we're primarily an indexing site I wouldn't want to try and change our purpose.

We can not rush changes. If we did rush the changes, the trends will stay repeat itself over and over so no way can we prevent that easily. This isn't a change that can be taken in a instant, but to do it over time.

Maybe the thought of mentioning this probably wasn't a good idea.

Still, the thing that Colonel and Celestial and i myself have noticed seems to be a thing that people just don't seem to want and try and do. Like as it's noted, we're a site that indexes dozens if not hundreds of verses by now that has thousands of them wholly. But when it comes to Vs Debating on here, that's a secondary here to do, it just seems rather limited compared to other Vs Forums. I know Spacebattles and Animevice use other characters for debates all the time, though that's probably because they aren't an indexing wikia or anything but just in mention. And i think the OBD still does this too. Whereas here, our majority are pretty much what Colonel said: The most OP, haxed, and arguably popular ones are the most used we see here, which range to quite a whole lot and more that i actually made a doc file to list the most used people we see here on this wikia.

While we (Ant, we don't say I, we say we. We're a community here.) can't force them to change as much as i dislike seeing people here being so close-minded on diversity, it would help to at least maybe do matches every now and then of characters who aren't seen that much or talked about.......if even then, this wouldn't work because nowadays people on this wikia just don't care about anything in general except for what interests them.

Probably not as people here nowadays are just too closed on choosing anyone else aside the "popular, haxed, OP" ones compared to other Vs communities out there.

I get the point that we're primarily an indexing wikia, i'm quite aware of that fact for two years now. And things like Vs debating is one of......some secondary things we do here after the primary.....and whatever else is our primaries here.

The point i'm trying to make is that some of us, like Colonel and i, could maybe bring out some other not known/talked characters we don't see being talked about to Vs threads every now and then. Though of course, the idea of people being a bit more diverse and versatile would help but.........nah..........just nah.....but again seriously, the idea of people maybe being encouraged to do other character Vs matches would help spicing things up on the activity. Cause talking about the same topic of several same characters, as Celestial pointed out, gets rather dull and boring. Yukari from Touhou has become a joke to the point of just being a sad meme, Reinhard from Dies Irae/Masadaverse has become a constant target for haxed matches, Sans from Undertale.....DK about him but he gets mentioned alot due to his stand up to Chara, Arceus has become an utterannoyance due to the constant threads and attention it gets to where i consider it and everything (i.e Pokemon) it stands for ANNOYING and not worth any of my time to ever give my opinion on. Same with DBS due to the people overhyping that shit like some video game or music hit in our modern media drop......though DBS is at least understandable to that, if only outright stupid to its constant hype and talk.

My rant out of the way here, i'd simply say no if i were to give a word on that. Though if someone else thinks we should, then i'm not object to it either way.

So yeah, that's basically it. IDK if it's worth keeping this open but given it relates to one of the things we do here, worth hearing some words from others......maybe.

Is it okay if you link that document you mentioned please? @Cross I'd like to see what characters are overlooked and who else is over used if that's okay.

That depends what Ant thinks. I wouldn't mind given that it's literally my personal listing of repetitive characters from known verses here. And it's still gonna fill up as I more or less have a good idea on who else is being repetitive here.

I'll pull it up in a little later.

No problem. Oh and the comments i put on there are pretty honest given that's all i see of it, so what i say there stays especially as it's my doc after all.

@Cal: Spamming a lot of matches doesn't change that much by a lot. On the chances it does, not a lot will really comment on it. You're doing the exact same thing other users here have done.

So how can I help? I really want to support this as much as I can, because I believe in your cause. Sorry if that sounds cheesy...

Maybe only make one at at time would help? Cause even if you put out like, 10, even though that's already ridiculous at this point, nobody or not a lot will comment on it.

ANOTHER SUGGESTION is to not make threads of popular character vs another as often as one normally does as that's pretty dull and repetitive just like the rest of these people here who do Vs threads.

Really, i was just only here to just rant off about this sort of problem. I wasn't intending any suggestions but that can work too i guess. Also updated my list and still going on that.

Oh yes and on the popular vs popular ones, even those start to wither out at times.....sometime depending what it is.

Of course, not a lot of people except for some doesn't like to have change or do new things so....

Yeah. I've noticed that actual vs battles have died out recently. I know we're an indexing site first and foremost, but the lack of what likely made us sign up in the first place is a bit disheartening.

@Cal: It can be, which is why people should try new things like what they would do IRL off the wikia or, more likely to say, the internet. I've done a couple new things in life and i felt a lot better. People here, even if it's secondary, should try that sometime more often.

So do we really link to my file or something? Cause i will say that as it's my own, i can say whatever i want in there given that's of how i see of the characters being used and describing them in my own ways. So if i say something about Yukari, i will say it. If it's on Sans, i will something. Dies Irae Reinhard, don't even care even if he's likeable to me.

Link the file where though? Are we even gonna have a note encouraging other characters somewhere, from what i see so far, probably not.

Well, I do not think that it is appropriate to link to a long document in the Versus Thread Rules page.

However, I could write a footnote that asks our members to participate in threads for less popular characters, if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back