• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Durability and Hardness

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fiction even though someone has shown a higher tier of durability they can still be killed with knives and bullets. In other words they are good against blunt impacts but not focused attacks (eg. Spiderman, Captain America, Deathstroke w/o armor). It doesn't make much sense because someone with city block level durability should be totally bullet proof, but it is how their abilities are represented.

To make sure people less familiar with the character know about this, I think for skills/weaknesses we should add either body hardness as a skill or specify piercing/cutting weakness.

What do you guys think?

To modify so many profiles seems like a too massive undertaiking for too little gain to me.

@Xing

Usually these discrepancies are because of authors not understanding the magnitude of the feats they're giving their characters.

For instance, the heroes of Final Fantasy VI have tanked attacks from Large Planet level attacks repeatedly over the course of their adventures, but they're still scared of falling off a cliff (which tops out around Wall level 90% of the time).

That's very apparent in Final Fantasy 15, they constantly worry about falling of small cliffs but they are Planet Level, it's insane.

Especially in video games, an athletic human can stab a building level character to death which is ehhhhh.

You only need to be Building level to be 100% bulletproof across your entire body. ChaosTheory did a calc on that.

Any instance of powerhouse characters being wounded by bullets is done by writers who don't understand what magnitudes of energy are, or have no idea who strong their characters are, or fail to understand energy is energy and it being concentrated on a smaller area only gets you so far.

Because sometimes the author/s doesn't know or doesn't care about the durability of their characters.

It also would make the system a lot more complicated.

@Ever

Also, everytime you have to struggle to open a door in a game despite your characters' other Lifting Feats (God of War is the biggest offender).

Kratos from God of War looks like he struggles to open chests but can stop Titan size hands...

Or when Megaman in one instance is getting hit by fire which is more hotter that the sun, and then he dies by falling in normal lava... no, not lava, ACID.

Also, be careful with the spikes, be always careful.

So I guess we can close this then? Cause this just turned into a Fun and Games Thread listing all the mistakes of power in videogames.

It's basically the writer not knowing or caring about their characters power and just throws random things that shouldn't work on their characters.

Yeah pretty much. Its dumb scientifically as if your muscles are dense enough to survive a nuke no way will a bullet hurt you, but its still a canon weakness so it should be addressed during VS matches. Anyway thanks just disregard this post I guess and close it as your right too many dumb inconsistencies to fix.

About doors. And people who should quite easily be able to open them, chains and all, to save a ton of trouble.

One name. Link.

I mean, it make the system a lot more complicated than is now.

Its not our fault that the author/s doesn't care about the durability of the characters.

Yeah its like spiderman should have muscles that are so dense or tough that they can stop bullets. Its one of times I actually sort of like Aquaman as at least he's consistent - higher pressure = higher muscle density = bullet/knife proof. Of course you would need to adapt to more than the ocean floor's pressure to get an actual bullet proof body in real life.

Anybody important in Saints Row 4 being city level, yet you can run them over with a car (For damage!)

Yeah it's sad but stupid on the writers part. How are you going to have us battle a giant creature and then come up to a wooden door and it says "You cannot open this door from this side" and then when you appear on the other side nothing or something like a wooden bored is blocking it or it needs a key... (I'm looking at you Darksouls)

Loved the game too, just died a lot before I got the hang of it... And then I still died a lot. Not from the enemies tho, I died because of the ban of mostly all Videogames exsitance... GRAVITY!!!!

Since the question has been answered, perhaps we should close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back