• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dumbest excuses for downplay

We have a thread on the dumbest downplay, but thread is about the dumb excuse or explanation people give for that down play. I.E since it's ice it doesn't count or because the chosen undead is undead everything in dark souls must be below average human.

Good point, but I meant say some you've heard (I redid the comment to give it context just Incase).

I know, I was being snarky.

Incredulity

Basically they downplay stuff based on the fact that they refuse to believe a certain character from a specific "mundane" trope from a specific verse can do battle with another, much more Cosmic / Threatening character from another verse

....or they simply find hard to understand how a certain character can reproduce certain feats because of what they are

For example:

This is nonsense, how come a Highscool Girl such as her can suddently do battle against Cosmic Entities or Eldritch Horrors? she should be downgraded

Or...

I don't see how a kid without any fighting training who canonically uses a stick to fight can be Multiversal, i also don't get how a giant flower monster can destroy a multiverse

"If they haven't shown that they can do a feat, then they can't do it."

Because feats are the only thing that matter.

"None of their feats count, they're only as strong as the writer wants them to be.

Good job there smartass, you figured out how fiction writing works.

@Darkanine so small building level Megaman,Peak human Batman,low superhuman Power Rangers Ect confirmed I guess

ArbitraryNumbers said:
"Sorry but that isn't a valid point"

>Doesn't actually explain why it's an invalid point
I love the other variation of that.

"Character can't be X level, because he is Y level"

>Doesn't explain why character is "only" Y level and why every feat above that is considered an outlier.

Also

"Character X got defeated by Character Y, who is Human, therefore, they aren't above the peak of the strength Humans can achieve"

"Feats regarding weather altercation doesn't really count. The energy required, while great, is spread out across several square miles and thus the individual beats of energy are quite low. That's why you don't see thunderstorms destroy mountains and stuff."

Good point, but I meant say some you've heard (I redid the comment to give it context just Incase).

On topic: They are cartoons so it doesn't count.

I've heard the "it's a cartoon so it doesn't count" so many times that if I had a penny for ever time i've seen it i'll Be a millionaire.

I've heard the "it's a cartoon so it doesn't count" so many times that if I had a penny for ever time i've seen it i'll Be a millionaire.

Only a millionaire? Meh, not much in today's economy.

CrossverseCrisis said:
How bout this one: "I can't be a downplayer just because i don't like this character"?
hah. Good one there Cross.

And there's this gem: "That character simply knocked around some buildings via sheer size! That's High 8-C at most!". <= Just about any tokusatsu series

Back