• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Discussion Thread 87

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dragomer: Eh, really? Also grew up with a different dub here, but... I actually think the English dub is solid, especially nowadays, just that it's a big departure from the Japanese and in many ways is its own thing. For example... I am not a big fan of Christopher Sabat's Vegeta and Piccolo, but that's mostly because of how different they are from their Japanese counterparts (and the dub I am biased to =P) but otherwise I think he's an excellent VA and really like his other work not filtered by that issue.

TartaChocholate said:
@Dragomer: Eh, really? Also grew up with a different dub here, but... I actually think the English dub is solid, especially nowadays, just that it's a big departure from the Japanese and in many ways is its own thing. For example... I am not a big fan of Christopher Sabat's Vegeta and Piccolo, but that's mostly because of how different they are from their Japanese counterparts (and the dub I am biased to =P) but otherwise I think he's an excellent VA and really like his other work not filtered by that issue.
Well, you can have your opinion on them, if you like them, good for you but i really can't stand the english VAs, i find that whole dub thing freaking awful.

The dubs went to shit with the actors ganging up on Vic and all and by the time I reached the Cell Saga in DBZ Kai I lost my interest in the dub.

I grew up with the english dub, so I love the voices, but I do agree the Vic situation made it really hard to like the dub knowing that while the voice acting is good, the people behind said voices are pretty shitty

KLOL506 said:
The dubs went to shit with the actors ganging up on Vic and all and by the time I reached the Cell Saga in DBZ Kai interest in the dub.
I would say the opposite. Kai and Super are by far the best parts of the English dub, the actors actually knew how to act by this point so they voices fitted somewhat better and the translation got a really good improvement (even when they kept many earlier mistakes for nostalgia's sake). Also, Kai didn't have the Falconeer music, and that alone is a massive upgrade from Z.

I loved the dubs as a kid back then. I literally grew up with it. And yeah it's got massive nostalgia to it.

But like Demon said, it became pretty hard to associate with dubs after the shitstorm that happened.

Even in Super i'm not a fan at all and i'm personaly stunned that some people prefer that 'Falconeer' stuff to the actualy japanese music when DBZ has freaking amazing stuff in japanese while the american stuff was meh at best.

I had never heard of it before interacting with the american fanbase.

Dragomer said:
Even in Super i'm not a fan at all
Well, while I stil don't think it is a good dub by that point, at least it is decent, with some acceptable voice acting and relatively solid translations, unlike the simply bad dub the Z one was, because that dub was just bad , not "so bad it's good" like the Italian, Portuguese and Castillian/Spaniard ones.

Dragomer said:
i'm personaly stunned that some people prefer that 'Falconeer' stuff to the actualy japanese music when DBZ has freaking amazing stuff in japanese while the american stuff was meh at best.
I fully agree there. I can't even process that awful heavy electronic is even a Dragon Ball music, when Z had really great orchesthal music. And let's not even talk about the full blown cringe that Rock the Dragon is...

Zamasu is voiced by Shinchiro Miki which in a hell of a VA. Can't remember Jiren's Japanese VA, but his english one is Patrick Seitz isn't he?

Oh yeah, it just nails perfectly both ends in Frieza's character: the otherwordly and menacing alien and the affable and soft spoken façade hiding his true evil.

It's quite telling most dubs have to choice one of the two ends, either the freaky alien voice or the soft spoken bad guy voice

I still find funny how a part of Freezer was based on loan sharks that were repent in Japan around that time, It leading to a Yakuza style DB game would be awesome.

TartaChocholate said:
Oh yeah, it just nails perfectly both ends in Frieza's character: the otherwordly and menacing alien and the affable and soft spoken façade hiding his true evil.

It's quite telling most dubs have to choice one of the two ends, either the freaky alien voice or the soft spoken bad guy voice
The spanish dub has a raspy voice that Im not sure in which end would fall.

Um, there are 2 Spanish dubs, the very literal Latin American one and the "so bad it's good" Castillian/Spaniard one. Which one are you talking about?

Latin American or Spain? The Latin American pretty much tried to go for the soft spoken ******, but if an interview with his VA is to go by, the director told the VA essentially: "well you went with classy, bombastic, freaky alien imitation, and sassy, no make him sound pretty macho"

When I say Spanish I mean Spain.

When I want to say Latin American I say Latino.

Oh hey look, it's the "English is the Devil, Japanese is God, nyeh!" thing for the 3484767298th time! Can we get 348476729 9 times? WILL THIS DUMB ARGUMENT EVER END?! Find Out, on the Next Episode of "Pointless Shit That Doesn't Matter Yet People Act like it's a ******* World War Z!"

(This is a joke, in case y'all can't tell)

Love the Dub

Schemmel will always be my Goku but I do not respect him or the rest of the cast in IRL with the exception of a few, like Eric Vale, Chris Ayers and Chuck Huber.

Dragomer said:
It's not an arguments, it's just us, people of culture, joining hands around an universal truth.
That has to be a depressing life if the only way people can be united is either rejecting everything but their own "truth" or hating something or. It's why Star Wars is the most pathetic fandom of all. (InB4 someone says the fandom has a right to be pissed)

That has to be a depressing life if the only way people can be united is either rejecting everything but their own "truth" or hating something or. It's why Star Wars is the most pathetic fandom of all. (InB4 someone says the fandom has a right to be pissed)

The dude who went 'it's a joke if you can't tell' can't spot an obvious joke it seems

They not only have a right to be pissed, they are right to be pissed.

... What does Toei have to do with anything? We're talking about dubs, the only dub they have control over is the Japanese one.

I made a mistake I wanted to say Funimation but I wrote Toei without realizing it lmao 😂

The dude who went 'it's a joke if you can't tell' can't spot an obvious joke it seems

They not only have a right to be pissed, they are right to be pissed.

Would still be Irony or hypocrise?

I am not a Star Wars fan in the slightest and I still understand why they are pissed and they have every right. Last Jedi was a joke and RoS was supposed to be damage control but jacked up the franchise even more lol.

The only Star Wars fandom that I felt went too far/were too damned salty are OT purists that attacked the PT relentlessly and unfairly judged it as the worst garbage to ever exist. Is it flawed? Yes. But worth the level of pure hatred that it attracted? No.

CryoTheMayo said:
The only Star Wars fandom that I felt went too far/were too damned salty are OT purists that attacked the PT relentlessly and unfairly judged it as the worst garbage to ever exist. Is it flawed? Yes. But worth the level of pure hatred that it attracted? No.
ReyLo XD they were toxic too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back