• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball GT: Replacing the "Future Goku" Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloverDragon03

He/Him
VS Battles
Calculation Group
So there I was one day, doing CloverDragon things, procrastinating on the homework I probably should've been doing, when I suddenly became curious about the famously cryptic ending of Dragon Ball GT. Like many, I wondered just what happened to Goku at the end, and that brings me to this CRT.

For reference, any quotes I include come from this interview with Atsushi Maekawa, scriptwriter for Dragon Ball GT.

So first off, why should we remove the Future Goku key? Simple: Future Goku has absolutely zero feats. He only appears twice: in the "A Hero's Legacy" movie, and in the final part of GT's final episode. In both cases, he doesn't showcase any AP feats. In addition, while he has a few extra abilities, they can still exist in the new key I propose. In fact, this new key will include Future Goku, but is a little broader in scope. Let me explain.

As we know, Omega Shenron "nearly kills" Goku (possibly actually killed him) with a Negative Karma Ball. Later, Goku emerges from the crater created, charging up the Universal Spirit Bomb, and is completely unaffected by Omega's attacks, including a Negative Karma Ball. Clearly, something's changed, and Maekawa explains this in the interview with him:

Q: "Where did Goku go on Shenlong’s back at the very end?"

A: "To be honest, in GT episode 63, just before the final episode, a big change comes over Goku. Those who watched carefully might have noticed, but… In that episode, Goku, who takes Yi Xing Long‘s attack, sinks to the bottom of a deep hole. That is the turning point. Afterward, Goku still continues the battle, but what’s different from before is that he’s cloaked in an aura that won’t let any attack near him. It might be that he died there, or it might be that he became something else entirely. I’ll leave that decision to the imaginations of everyone who watched. However, the Goku up to that point that everyone knows clearly does not appear after that."

So, what we can gather is that regardless of if Omega actually killed Goku with that Negative Karma Ball, the result is that Goku emerges from it, no longer the same Goku we once knew, and he's "cloaked in an aura that won't let any attack near him." This is the Goku that goes off with Shenron in the final episode of GT and reappears 100 years later in "A Hero's Legacy" and at the World Martial Arts Tournament match between Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr.

As a result, we should replace the "Future Goku" key with a "Post-Negative Karma Ball" key.

Now, how will the statistics go? Well for starters, the Universal Spirit Bomb would be moved to this new key, as this is when he actually creates and fires it. As for his physical stats, though, things get tricky...

On the one hand, he is unaffected by all of Omega's attacks, which makes me think his durability would be 3-A, then his AP would be 3-A due to how ki works for all stats, not just some - something which is already accepted on the wiki. However...
  1. This state of Goku is "cloaked in an aura that won't let any attack near him." It doesn't specify Omega Shenron, or anyone really.
  2. If Goku scaled above Omega Shenron, he wouldn't have needed the Universal Spirit Bomb to begin with.
As such, I'm unsure as to if this is a durability thing or if it's some form of Invulnerability. I'm leaning more toward the latter to be honest.

So, if this is 3-A durability, his stats would be: 3-A, far higher with Universal Spirit Bomb

If this is Invulnerability, his stats would be: Unknown, 3-A with Universal Spirit Bomb (+ Invulnerability)

Edit: We are also discussing two abilities: Dimensional Travel for Shenron, as he could bring Goku to Hell to see Piccolo, and Type 7 Immortality for Post-Negative Karma Ball Goku due to being stated to have died. The staff in the "Agree" section have all agreed to these two abilities

This has been on my mind ever since I looked into the GT ending, so I hope this doesn't end up amounting to nothing. Regardless, I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. And, of course, remember to keep things civil.

Agree: @Nierre (3-A), @LordGinSama (3-A), @Braking (Invulnerability), @DarkDragonMedeus (3-A), @SamanPatou (Is fine with 3-A), @Vizer04 (Power Nullification), @Adem_Warlock69 (3-A), @Arnoldstone18 (3-A), @Therefir (3-A), @Eseseso (3-A), @LuffyRuffy46307 (3-A)
Disagree:
Neutral:

Last edited:
Q: "Where did Goku go on Shenlong’s back at the very end?"

A: "To be honest, in GT episode 63, just before the final episode, a big change comes over Goku. Those who watched carefully might have noticed, but… In that episode, Goku, who takes Yi Xing Long‘s attack, sinks to the bottom of a deep hole. That is the turning point. Afterward, Goku still continues the battle, but what’s different from before is that he’s cloaked in an aura that won’t let any attack near him. It might be that he died there, or it might be that he became something else entirely. I’ll leave that decision to the imaginations of everyone who watched. However, the Goku up to that point that everyone knows clearly does not appear after that."
Wtf this is actually some cool and deep ass lore I've never seen this interview in MY LIFE.

I've never even considered anything special in that scene other than he just got stronger lol

Wtf this is actually some cool and deep ass lore I've never seen this interview in MY LIFE.

I've never even considered anything special in that scene other than he just got stronger lol
You should check out the whole interview, it's really interesting stuff. The fact that the Goku that defeats Omega Shenron could very well be dead or even a higher being entirely is insane to think about

Gonna say this now, if you agree, please note which of these two you agree with:
So, if this is 3-A durability, his stats would be: 3-A, far higher with Universal Spirit Bomb

If this is Invulnerability, his stats would be: Unknown, 3-A with Universal Spirit Bomb (+ Invulnerability)

Tbh GT wasn't all that bad like people make it seem to be, or rather DBZ / DBS isn't all that much better in terms of story.

Dragon Ball has never been the best written franchise so never understood the hate behind GT.

Also definitely agreeing to Goku having some type of Invulnerability. I wouldn't say it's because he's dead since we already know in Dragon Ball the dead can still be effected as seen with Piccolo blowing up Heaven (might have been hell.) and all its inhabitants. So I'd say Invulnerability lines up a lot better than the assumption that Goku is dead.

Tbh GT wasn't all that bad like people make it seem to be, or rather DBZ / DBS isn't all that much better in terms of story.

Dragon Ball has never been the best written franchise so never understood the hate behind GT.

Also definitely agreeing to Goku having some type of Invulnerability. I wouldn't say it's because he's dead since we already know in Dragon Ball the dead can still be effected as seen with Piccolo blowing up Heaven (might have been hell.) and all its inhabitants. So I'd say Invulnerability lines up a lot better than the assumption that Goku is dead.
Invulnerability can work with him being dead (Maekawa said that he left it up to the viewers), the whole point of this is said later in the interview that he didn't want to just depict Goku with a halo again but rather, he wanted to portray death as feeling closer to what it actually is in real life

Invulnerability can work with him being dead (Maekawa said that he left it up to the viewers), the whole point of this is said later in the interview that he didn't want to just depict Goku with a halo again but rather, he wanted to portray death as feeling closer to what it actually is in real life
If that's the case then wouldn't be be Type 5 / 7 immortality? Deathless immortality since he's already possibly dead to begin with.

I guess that interpretation could also explain why he's still around after Pan had kids and what-not.

He’s had Longevity on his profile for that. I’m also fine with some type of Immortality could be added. Do note though that Maekawa says what happened to Goku is to be left up to the viewers

While I do agree with expanding his final key and the rename; Future Goku doesn't really have any feats because he never fights and he doesn't really need to given the lack of enemies + him already being too OP in general.

But as for his stats, Invulnerability is something that requires a lore based statement that makes him immune to conventional attacks and it should be careful since the standard assumption for Invulnerability is that traditional attacks up to 1-A are assumed to be things that wouldn't effect someone with Invulnerability. I do overall agree it seem to be more of Goku being a bit of a stonewall since he needed the Spirit Bomb to destroy Omega; though oddly enough Goku was being amplified to where even his new base form appears stronger than he was as a SSJ4. I personally would prefer leaning towards giving him 3-A durability as opposed to Invulnerability though. Though, upon absorbing all 7 Dragon Balls, he essentially absorbed everything Black Mist Shenron/Omega Shenron got all his power in the first place so him later being likely 3-A outright upon consuming the Dragon Balls still makes sense to me.

You should check out the whole interview, it's really interesting stuff. The fact that the Goku that defeats Omega Shenron could very well be dead or even a higher being entirely is insane to think about
Gt had some nutty fire concepts. The dragon balls being overused resulting in negative energy and for Goku to end up having them absorbed into him (I guess that explains the higher entity thing lol)

Anyways I agree. Maybe if not invulnerability then Goku’s aura cloak should have prolly something like power nullification or something similar to compensate for the statement about Goku’s aura if “invulnerability” is too high end of an ability to use.

While I do agree with expanding his final key and the rename; Future Goku doesn't really have any feats because he never fights and he doesn't really need to given the lack of enemies + him already being too OP in general.

But as for his stats, Invulnerability is something that requires a lore based statement that makes him immune to conventional attacks and it should be careful since the standard assumption for Invulnerability is that traditional attacks up to 1-A are assumed to be things that wouldn't effect someone with Invulnerability. I do overall agree it seem to be more of Goku being a bit of a stonewall since he needed the Spirit Bomb to destroy Omega; though oddly enough Goku was being amplified to where even his new base form appears stronger than he was as a SSJ4. I personally would prefer leaning towards giving him 3-A durability as opposed to Invulnerability though. Though, upon absorbing all 7 Dragon Balls, he essentially absorbed everything Black Mist Shenron/Omega Shenron got all his power in the first place so him later being likely 3-A outright upon consuming the Dragon Balls still makes sense to me.
I’m just concerned that if Goku was already that powerful, he wouldn’t have needed the Universal Spirit Bomb

How about Power Nullification?

There's some truth to what you're saying but GT was definitely inferior to the rest of the Dragon Ball franchise.

Z was the peak of Dragon Ball and it left the bar too high for any other continuation (Super being the exception since the franchise was essentially on a two-decade hiatus and therefore it felt more fresh to the fans)

I love how they canonized a plot hole with a literal deus ex machina plot armor

Anyway, looks good and I'm also more inclined towards invulnerability or even just a specific aura/forcefield with high dura, which is separate from his physical stats.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the Latin American version after Goku tanks the Negative Karma Ball, Omega Shenron comments "Why are you so powerful?!".

Doesn't this imply that he withstood that power because of his physical durability instead of some special hax like Power Nullification/Invulnerability? Since he considers this Goku to be "powerful".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the Latin American version after Goku tanks the Negative Karma Ball, Omega Shenron comments "Why are you so powerful?!".

Doesn't this imply that he withstood that power because of his physical durability instead of some special hax like Power Nullification/Invulnerability? Since he considers this Goku to be "powerful".
I have absolutely no idea. Also, taking a non-native dub might not be the most reliable, as things get lost in translation (hell, even the English dub changes Goku's "I won't forgive you even if you apologize" moment here to "I'll give you one last chance to apologize.")

I should also emphasize that unless I'm missing something, the 3-A would scale to all of Goku's stats because of how ki is accepted to work on the wiki. Higher ki = higher AP, durability, speed, etc.

If Goku scaled above Omega Shenron, he wouldn't have needed the Universal Spirit Bomb to begin with
I disagree, having higher stats doesn't necessarily mean Goku would be powerful enough to obliterate Omega Shenron's body, which is what he needed to overcome his regeneration and kill him once and for all.

We can see Goku visible struggling and moving around while taking many Ki attacks from Omega Shenron, the attacks are affecting him in some way, so I doubt this is invulnerability or power nullification.

I'm leaning towards 3-A Goku durability.
When Omega first fires ki blasts, Goku is completely unaffected, so I don't see how more ki blasts would change anything. Seems more like he's focusing on King Kai (moving around can be caused by a force, doesn't mean anything if it doesn't actually hurt him), and he even tanks a Negative Karma Ball with no damage

I disagree, having higher stats doesn't necessarily mean Goku would be powerful enough to obliterate Omega Shenron's body, which is what he needed to overcome his regeneration and kill him once and for all.
Ngl I completely forgot that Omega Shenron has regeneration so this makes 3-A stats more plausible than I thought

I'm admittedly still stuck on the whole "cloaked in an aura that won't allow any attack near him," though I can also see how 3-A can also explain this, as if Omega can't hurt him, then no one as of GT can. Still, it feels like a statement like that should mean more than just Durability.

When Omega first fires ki blasts, Goku is completely unaffected, so I don't see how more ki blasts would change anything.
That's really hard to tell, no-selling attacks doesn't necessarily mean they are not affecting you in any way.

Having lack of reaction/=being completely unaffected by them.

Seems more like he's focusing on King Kai (moving around can be caused by a force, doesn't mean anything if it doesn't actually hurt him).
I really doubt that's the case when Goku was visibly smiling even when talking to King Kai, and only started gritting his teeth and closing his eyes very tightly when Omega Shenron began his onslaught of attacks.

Last edited:
This is a valid point. Isn't the point of the Spirit Bomb to cause like significant damage to those who are evil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back