• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball - CANON STATUS - Discussion

I think we should put Xenoverse and Online on Tertiary canon, as they had quite a lot of work from Akira Toriyama compared to the likes of say, Legacy of Goku II.

Could you kindly provide proof for Toriyama's "significant" involvement?

Additionally, I realize that it is somewhat strange to equalize all video games to the same canon status, but involvement from Toriyama in the capacity of the franchise's creative owner alone does not merit a Tertiary Canon status.

For example, the hero is a character who is never heard/mentioned in any other Tertiary Canon (which is not the case for other Tertiary Canon).

Additionally, XenoVerse fundamentally modifies the DB cosmology, which is again, not hinted or acknowledged in the least by any other Primary, Secondary or Tertiary Canon.

Lord Kavpeny said:
Could you kindly provide proof for Toriyama's "significant" involvement?
Additionally, I realize that it is somewhat strange to equalize all video games to the same canon status, but involvement from Toriyama in the capacity of the franchise's creative owner alone does not merit a Tertiary Canon status.

For example, the hero is a character who is never heard/mentioned in any other Tertiary Canon (which is not the case for other Tertiary Canon).

Additionally, XenoVerse fundamentally modifies the DB cosmology, which is again, not hinted or acknowledged in the least by any other Primary, Secondary or Tertiary Canon.
I was mostly referencing Dragon Ball Online, which was written by him

I have no problems with the list. Until events in canon occur that support the timeline of Dragon Ball Online, we should group it with the other video games in terms of canon, even if it was written by Toriyama.

The DBS manga is also canon btw

The image notes that the manga is "completely supervised by Akira Toriyama-sensei" and that "Toyotarō is drawing it with all his might!!!"

From Kanzenshuu itself
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/05/23/the-curious-case-of-the-goku-artwork-toyotaro-super/

Another source

Speaking of the manga, I want to ask you two about how you put the manga together. I hear Toriyama-sensei checks the storyboards for each chapter.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translati...-manga-vol-1-tori-toyo-interview-web-version/

The manga should be above Kai and Dragon Ball anime since Toriyama had zero involvement with Kai. We can use the DBS manga unless it contradicts the DBS anime directly for the given scene (since Toriyama supervises it completely).

Didn't toriyama state that the bog and resurrection f, movie, manga, and anime are all canon cough cough Zelda logic cough cough

Also when did toriyama openly state he retconed the movie versions of resurrection of f and botg I want a link please

Apparently characters from the DB movies showed up in GT when briefly resurrected from hell in the Super 17 saga, so I think that the movies are canon to GT at least. Othervise I do not have a problem with this list.

@Huesito88 Well, I think that we couldn't quite fit together the movies with the new anime series, so we go by the most recent official continuity.

Antvasima said:
Apparently characters from the DB movies showed up in GT when briefly resurrected from hell in the Super 17 saga, so I think that the movies are canon to GT at least. Othervise I do not have a problem with this list.
I stand alongside Antvasima with this.

Also, Dragon Ball Online should be Terciary Canon, as it was written by Toriyama.

... And what about Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, DB Minus and Dr.Slump?

DB Minus and Jaco are basically parts of the Manga, so should be rated on the same level as it is, I think. I dunno about Dr. Slump.

DBO being Tertiary Canon is fine with me, now that I think about it more. Not like it really affects anything yet.

Promestein said:
DB Minus and Jaco are basically parts of the Manga, so should be rated on the same level as it is, I think. I dunno about Dr. Slump.
DBO being Tertiary Canon is fine with me, now that I think about it more. Not like it really affects anything yet.
But the problem with DB Minus is that it's completely different from the Bardock Origin that is present briefly in DB Kai and briefly alluded to in the Manga...

Also, History of Trunks is Secondary Canon, right?

I think DB Minus was intended to be a retcon.

Should be? I dunno.

After talking with Lord Kavpeny in private, I have revised my stance regarding DB Movies and DBGT, as it seems like the latter is extremely inconsistent.

Back