• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Does Video Games that sold on steam always 100% guarantee allowed in VS Wiki ?

Case by case, at bare minimum; the game needs to have some kind of continuity and there needs to be some kind of debating being a common thing in the game in question. For example, Madden/FIFA profiles I don't think can have profiles since they're nothing but generic sports franchises intended to be realistic and the characters are just the various celebrities participating in the next up coming "Big sports event of the respective year". Same with a lot of Tetris style puzzle games, and I don't even need to talk about the ****/hentai games.

But if it's sold in some way or form, has some plot/continuity, and has combat applicable type of feats existing, and nothing that goes overboard on what's inappropriate, it should be fine.

Besides what Medeus mentioned, it depends on if they are very notable or not and feature characters that the creators of the games legally own.

Yeah I think OP is asking if Steam is a form of validation- it ain't, notability still factors in. Steam is... extremely open to abandonware and low-effort games being sold on it.

Being on Steam isn't enough by itself. For example, multiple SCP, Creepypasta, and Backrooms fangames can be found on the site due to the source material lacking proper copyright.

Case by case, at bare minimum; the game needs to have some kind of continuity and there needs to be some kind of debating being a common thing in the game in question. For example, Madden/FIFA profiles I don't think can have profiles since they're nothing but generic sports franchises intended to be realistic and the characters are just the various celebrities participating in the next up coming "Big sports event of the respective year". Same with a lot of Tetris style puzzle games, and I don't even need to talk about the ****/hentai games.

But if it's sold in some way or form, has some plot/continuity, and has combat applicable type of feats existing, and nothing that goes overboard on what's inappropriate, it should be fine.
Besides what Medeus mentioned, it depends on if they are very notable or not and feature characters that the creators of the games legally own.
Yeah I think OP is asking if Steam is a form of validation- it ain't, notability still factors in. Steam is... extremely open to abandonware and low-effort games being sold on it.
Being on Steam isn't enough by itself. For example, multiple SCP, Creepypasta, and Backrooms fangames can be found on the site due to the source material lacking proper copyright.
distinction between copyright and non-copyright should be easy enough.

Regarding Notability i think we don't need to over-complex analyzing it. Common sense and rule of thumb should do it. Ex : quick google search about God of War or Elden Ring should be self-explanatory.

Are there anything that need to consider ?

The importance of notability as a standard cannot be understated, actually. You can certainly google almost any game on Steam and find it.

Copyright, I believe, is inherent to any creative work. The word we ought to be using here is licensed.

The importance of notability as a standard cannot be understated, actually. You can certainly google almost any game on Steam and find it.

Copyright, I believe, is inherent to any creative work. The word we ought to be using here is licensed.
Oh yeah that is true. It's objective. Perhaps we need to acknowledge notable game publisher ? There are a lot of them, ranging from indie to AAA

Notability is the property of being worthy of notice, having fame, or being considered to be of a high degree of interest, significance, or distinction. It also refers to the capacity to be such. Persons who are notable due to public responsibility, accomplishments, or, even, mere participation in the celebrity industry are said to have a public profile.[1]

The concept arises in the philosophy of aesthetics regarding aesthetic appraisal.[2] There are criticisms of art galleries determining monetary valuation, or valuation so as to determine what or what not to display, being based on notability of the artist, rather than inherent quality of the art work.

Notability arises in decisions on coverage questions in journalism.[3] Marketers and newspapers may try to create notability to create celebrity, fame, or notoriety, or to increase sales, as in the yellow press.

In arguments conferring notability is related to transitivity and the syllogism. If all A's are notable, and x is an A, then x is notable is true by syllogism, but if A is notable, and x is an element of A, then x is not necessarily notable. If x is more notable than y, and y is more notable than z, then x is more notable than z, but if person x considers A to be notable, and A is a subset of B, then x does not necessarily consider B to be notable; an example of an intentional context in the paradox of the name relation.[6]

Back