• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Does SBA assume Central Park/New York is populated?

Arcker123

He/Him
Title.

I think this is relevant for several potential matches. Morally good characters are going to avoid their most destructive powers to avoid civillian casualities, wheras villainous characters do not do such.

No

Outside Influence: None. No characters of either verse, aside from those participating in the battle, may influence the outcome of the battle in any way. That means they may not join the fight, grant buffs, create shields, provide information etc. Exceptions are things like blessings, calling upon some higher entities power for a spell, summoning familiars to battle for them, having another character as equipment or more generally spoken the things which are listed on the profile as part of a characters own powers and abilities.
Civillain may still avaible in other place

Does civilians being in Central Park really constitute outside help though?

In theory they'd just he parts of the environment that characters can or can't take advantage of. Not really specific outside help for either character.

I think that should be written on the sba standards given the amount of characters whose fights/arguments would be affected by the population of the location.

I mean, the sba doesn't mention that NYC (or the world in general) doesn't have any other people/that the fighters are there alone. The no outside influence specify only that the characters doesn't get help from their respective verse characters unless they have something like summoning.

Yeah that's fair. I just assumed otherwise given the implications of having a populated nyc.

Obviously having civilians around can both help or nerf someone depending on their character or abilities.

As stated in our page linked above. "Outside Influence: None."

Having civilians around counts as outside influence. Also, police show up and start firing at combatants as well.

However, I fully admit this could be made more clear by straight up saying that a location is indeed empty if it isn't specified. Just saying None is indeed very vague.

Asked this to DT a few days ago and this was his answer:
Yeah, I think there should be people around by default. Although, by no outside influence stuff, they will not take action unless prompted by a character, of course.
Also, the outside influence rule specify characters from either verse, neutral civilians from irl NYC doesn't fall in the rule.
Outside Influence: None. No characters of either verse, aside from those participating in the battle, may influence the outcome of the battle in any way.

However, I fully admit this could be made more clear by straight up saying that a location is indeed empty if it isn't specified. Just saying None is indeed very vague.
This sentiment is where I'm at. Whilst DT's comments are implied by our current standards, more specifically outlining them on the page is very helpful.

Back