• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Quest Revival Discussion Thread

Felt like I should edit this to actually keep track of all the things discussed and so other users can as well

Here is the list of spells and abilities:

Spell List:

Offensive Spells:

Frizz - Fire Manipulation

Sizz - Fire Manipulation (The frizz-sizz distinction should be mentioned on the profiles. Frizz and Sizz are considered two different damage types, despite both being fire. It’s possible to be immune to one while weak to the other and vice versa. So make sure this is noted either on a profile and/or the verse page)

Crack - Ice Manipulation and Status Effect Inducement (Canon spin-offs like DQ Heroes have ice spells temporarily freeze use upon getting hit by them)

Woosh - Air Manipulation

Bang - Energy Projection and Explosion Manipulation (More recent installments depict the Bang line of spells to be energy explosions)

Zap - Electricity Manipulation and Weather Manipulation (Self explanatory. Zap spells are occasionally shown through gameplay (DQ Heroes) and artwork to be produced from a cloud)

Zam - Darkness Manipulation and possibly Electricity Manipulation (Darkness element. Some games visuals show Zam having some dark electricity emit upon contact)

Rubblerouser - Earth Manipulation (Creates a sigil under the enemy that generates rock spikes to damage enemies)

Coral Grief - Organic Manipulation/ Water Manipulation (Creates a water blast and rains coral?? The wiki descriptions don’t help describe this. Heroes 2 shows this as a water blast, DQ7 shows this as raining coral through presumably a water tornado. I genuinely don’t know for this either. I’d personally take the more recent variant)

Splish - Water Manipulation (This is a more recent line of spells, being introduced in Joker 3 and Treasures. This probably won’t be on too many profiles)

Malestrom - Water Manipulation (Creates a water vortex)

Donk - Gravity Manipulation (Creates a gravity well that crushes enemies

Magic Burst - Energy Projection (Unleashes an omnidirectional energy blast that consumes all of the user’s mana. One of the strongest skills in the game. It is unaffected by barriers that reduce damage or reflect it)

Recovery Spells

Heal - Healing (Self-explanatory)

Reheal - Healing (Grants overtime healing)

Zing - Resurrection (Small chance with earlier spells. Guaranteed with Kazing)

Kerplunk - Self Destruction, Healing, and Resurrection (Kills themself to revive and fully heal all allies)

Squelch - Purification (Type 3; Removes poison)

Tingle - Purification (Type 3; Removes paralysis)

Defuddle - Purification (Type 3; Removes confusion)

****-a-doodle-doo - Purification (Type 3; Removes sleep)

Dedazzle - Purification (Type 3; Removes bedazzlement)

Sheen - Purification (Types 2 and 3; Removes curses)

Support/Debuff spells

Oomph - Statistics Amplification (Raises physical attack power)

Ping - Statistics Amplification (Raises strength of magic)

Spell Checker - Power Bestowal (Raises magic resistance of a party member, making it less effective. Was difficult to decide. Chose Power Bestowal since it grants resistance to magic to someone)

Buff - Statistics Amplification (Raises physical defense)

Accelerate - Statistics Amplification (Raises speed)

Insulatle - Light Manipulation and Damage Reduction (Creates a veil of sorts around the user/party that reduces damage by breath attacks. Varies between games but is consistently by a quarter/half)

Magic Barrier - Power Bestowal (Raises magic resistance of all party members. See spell checker for explanation on Power Bestowal)

Blunt - Statistics Reduction (Either greatly or slightly decreases (depending on the spell), physical strength of the enemy)

Dim - Statistics Reduction (Lowers the opponents magical potency)

Sap - Statistics Reduction (Either greatly or slightly decreases (depending on the spell) physical durability of target)

Anathematise - Resistance Negation (Lowers one’s resistance to magic)

Divine Intervention - Resistance Negation (Lowers multiple enemies’s resi

Decelerate - Statistics Reduction (Either greatly or slightly decreases (depending on the spell) speed of target)

Bound - Forcefield Creation and Attack Reflection (Creates a single use forcefield that reflects all spells. Likely omnidirectional like it’s variant)

Bounce - Forcefield Creation and Attack Reflection (Creates an omnidirectional forcefield around the user that reflects all magical attacks directed towards them)

Snub - Power Nullification (Nullifies all spells directed at the one protected by the spell)

Absorb Magic - Absorption (Absorbs mana of oncoming spells upon hitting the user)

Drain Magic - Absorption (Absorbs mana of an opponent)

Share Magic - Unknown (I don’t know what power this is. Transfers mana to an ally

Giga Drain Magic - Absorption (Absorbs mana of all opponents nearby)

The Great Leveller - Power Nullification (Exclusive to the DQ7 Hero. Removes durability ailments and buffs, Kaclang, and Transformations from one enemy. The Greater Leveller removes physical strength buffs, temporary spell barriers, and seals all spells temporarily, along with the previous effects. As a downside, it affects )

Status Effect:

Snooze - Sleep Manipulation, Status Effect Inducement

Fuddle - Mind Manipulation and Status Effect Inducement (Confusion status makes you confused, not knowing who is your friend or enemy, and will mindlessly attack either. Occasionally won’t do anything at all out of pure confusion and even may attack themselves)

Dazzle - Illusion Creation and Perception Manipulation (Makes the one affected see illusory clones of opponents surrounding them. It’s used to lower accuracy. Spells aren’t affected by this for whatever reason)

Fizzle - Power Nullification and Sound Manipulation (Nullifies opponents ability to cast magic. Also prevent the affected from saying the name of said spell)

Ban Dance - Power Nullification (Prevents opponent from using dance abilities

Transformation:

Puff! - Transformation (Transforms the user into a dragon)

Kaclang - Transmutation and Power Bestowal (Transforms the party into metal, granting them invulnerability and immunity to all magic and abilities in the game, but makes them incapable of movement)

Morph - Transformation and Power Mimicry (Allows the user to transform into the target, granting him their strength and durability

Field Magic:

Most of these, if not any of them aren’t combat applicable. I could see Evac and Zoom being potential BFR counters.

Click - ??? (Can unlock doors)

Evac - Teleportation (Can teleport the user’s party outside of a dungeon. This works at Interdimensional range too, used to escape Luminary Trials and Drustan’s Labyrinth)

Zoom - Activated Flight (Can fly instantly to any location known by the caster. Also works at Interdimensional ranges)

Fade - Invisibility

Glow - Light Manipulation (Creates a light brighter than torches used to make it easier to see in the dark)

Holy Protection - Holy Manipulation (Repels weaker monsters with a holy aura)

Peep - Information Analysis (Can check chests and see if it contains gold, an item, or is dangerous. This doesn’t give further info. This also lets the user appraise equipment and learn info about it)

Safe Passage - Limited Power Nullification (Temporarily nullifies the effects of harmful terrain)

Snoop - Light Manipulation (Causes treasure in dungeons to glimmer, making them easier to find)

Storeyteller - Information Analysis (Informs the user of what floor of the dungeon they are in)

Tick-Tock - Time Manipulation (Can change the time between day and night

Other:

Whack - Death Manipulation (Sends a projectile/projectiles that have a chance to instantly kill enemies)

Poof - BFR (Description describes this as vanishing someone instantly. The location is unknown)

Bazoom - Air Manipulation/Telekinesis and Pseudo BFR (Uses magic (Air in most variants, a telekinetic field in DQ Heroes) to fling the opponent out of battle. Considering how this is the offensive version of Zoom, it could potentially have Interdimensional range but I’m not betting on it since it’s never shown)

Last edited:
Yes, I have plans to revise the verse but I been overworked with a lot of things going on all at once. And indeed there's a lot of outdated scaling; most of not all god tiers should be 2-C.

Yes, I have plans to revise the verse but I been overworked with a lot of things going on all at once. And indeed there's a lot of outdated scaling; most of not all god tiers should be 2-C.
We could potentially discuss revisions? I have my own thought out as well. I’ll gladly help with the revisions and whatnot, if that’s not too much to ask.

It’s been a very long time since Dragon Quest has been revised and the profiles are extremely outdated. I myself have been scaling it for a while since no one else did, but making wiki’s by myself on a dead social app has been pretty boring and getting actual profiles revised, made, and general revisions on here would be awesome. So would anyone want to help discuss anything on how to roll these potential revisions out? We can chat on discord for planning and all
Hell yeah! I noticed Several of the profiles are missing Spells and abilities as several of the bosses and characters are missing their resistances and We need to get someone who can translate Japanese to look at some of the bosses of DQ10 who have a bunch of new abilities and spells to see what they do

Hell yeah! I noticed Several of the profiles are missing Spells and abilities as several of the bosses and characters are missing their resistances and We need to get someone who can translate Japanese to look at some of the bosses of DQ10 who have a bunch of new abilities and spells to see what they do
Awesome. You wanna discuss any revisions on Discord?

FanofRPGs brought DQ to the wiki and helped a lot with profiles before he was banned. He just saw this thread and would be willing to help in Discord DMs.

FanofRPGs brought DQ to the wiki and helped a lot with profiles before he was banned. He just saw this thread and would be willing to help in Discord DMs.
Thank you for lending the delivery. I know I recall talking to him that everyone High 6-A scaling from Zoma should be 2-C scaling from Calasmos and End of Time. I also find the Low 2-C justification for shattering the sphere of time iffy, but I recall other sources mentioning that can be 2-C via scaling.

Thank you for lending the delivery. I know I recall talking to him that everyone High 6-A scaling from Zoma should be 2-C scaling from Calasmos and End of Time. I also find the Low 2-C justification for shattering the sphere of time iffy, but I recall other sources mentioning that can be 2-C via scaling.
It is currently being discussed on discord. My main plans are to keep High 6-A on Erdrick trilogy and have 2-C on mostly everything else aside from the currently unscaled DQ7 and 4-A DQ9

I'm not really sure if the High 6-A stuff would hold up given the canonicity Erdrick trilogy has to XI and Zoma being implied as a reincarnation of Calasmos. And Zoma busting the Sword of Kings/Super Sword of Light would be 2-C scaling. The Luminary literally needs to strike hard enough to break a regular Sword of Light to even break the Time Sphere where as the Super Sword of Light can do so without breaking. A regular Sword of Light was also strong enough to deliver a finishing blow to a regular Calasmos; though this was before the Dark Aura enhancements he got later. Calasmos was also stated to be equal to both the Goddess and the End of Time; the latter who could destroy all existence. Timewyrm was also someone stated to be above the End of Time and was very malicious and was said to exist beyond time and space.

Though, I kind of think IX is the only one not known to have scaling from the Goddess or Calasmos. Unsure about X or VII though.

I'm not really sure if the High 6-A stuff would hold up given the canonicity Erdrick trilogy has to XI and Zoma being implied as a reincarnation of Calasmos. And Zoma busting the Sword of Kings/Super Sword of Light would be 2-C scaling. The Luminary literally needs to strike hard enough to break a regular Sword of Light to even break the Time Sphere where as the Super Sword of Light can do so without breaking. A regular Sword of Light was also strong enough to deliver a finishing blow to a regular Calasmos; though this was before the Dark Aura enhancements he got later. Calasmos was also stated to be equal to both the Goddess and the End of Time; the latter who could destroy all existence. Timewyrm was also someone stated to be above the End of Time and was very malicious and was said to exist beyond time and space.

Though, I kind of think IX is the only one not known to have scaling from the Goddess or Calasmos. Unsure about X or VII though.
In DQ9 you can fight Zoma, Rapthorne, Mortamor ,and Nokturnus

in dragon quest 10 you can fight Nokturnus too but a lot of stuff from 10 is hard to come by as it’s an mmo that hasn’t been released outside of Japan thus you’d need to be able to speak/read Japanese

a lot of stuff from 10 can be added to profiles as it gave bosses new powerful moves and hax

In DQ9 you can fight Zoma, Rapthorne, Mortamor ,and Nokturnus

in dragon quest 10 you can fight Nokturnus too but a lot of stuff from 10 is hard to come by as it’s an mmo that hasn’t been released outside of Japan thus you’d need to be able to speak/read Japanese

a lot of stuff from 10 can be added to profiles as it gave bosses new powerful moves and hax
I am like 90% sure DQ9 can’t be used for boss statistics and hax. Like the grottoes are just a fun addition to the series, but the sudden appearance of random bosses like the Dragonlord and Murdaw don’t make much sense. Like it could potentially apply to those where space-time is unbound by said character, which really only applies to 2 (Estark and Nokturnus), everyone else seems pretty non-canon.

The only post-game content I see as 100% canon is DQ4, DQ5, DQ7, DQ8 (technically it is unseen events before Rhapthorne), and DQ11

DQ3 is debatable but idk the context of Xenlon and all

DQ6 post-game is a what-if scenario

DQ9 post-game has no context

Zoma is implied to be a reincarnation of Calasmos, plus he broke the Super Sword of Light which is in turn stronger that can withstand strikes strong enough to shatter both a regular Sword of Light and the Time Sphere at the same time. Dracolord also has some lore scaling from the Goddess in Dragon Quest Builders.

As for Dragon Quest IX, I think post game could be a separate key but doesn't really look like something that scales to regular cast. Although, post game actually does had some expanded lore; such as the existence of Stellestria. Dragon Quest X I actually wish could be localized in the future or at least a game I wish to be able to play via VPNs as I'm in a Discord server dedicated to make fan made access of Dragon Quest X but I don't have the proper equipment to utilize it. But I did here it's got lore derived from IX. Plus I heard Dragon Quest X is like the more underrated game in the series and is like pretty much a worthy candidate for being the best MMORPG ever made at least according to Geek Attack Central.

Dragon Quest XI's post game also has you fight reshaped/incarnated versions of every end game boss in the series thus far before facing End of Time. Not sure if that means much though.

I am like 90% sure DQ9 can’t be used for boss statistics and hax. Like the grottoes are just a fun addition to the series, but the sudden appearance of random bosses like the Dragonlord and Murdaw don’t make much sense. Like it could potentially apply to those where space-time is unbound by said character, which really only applies to 2 (Estark and Nokturnus), everyone else seems pretty non-canon.

The only post-game content I see as 100% canon is DQ4, DQ5, DQ7, DQ8 (technically it is unseen events before Rhapthorne), and DQ11

DQ3 is debatable but idk the context of Xenlon and all

DQ6 post-game is a what-if scenario

DQ9 post-game has no context
Nokturnus in IX actually makes plausible sense considering his abilities and how he has Avatars and stuff also in the DQ9 post game you’re told to protect the world from the grotto bosses and it’s where it’s also where you discover the various monsters that Corvus fractured Zenus into

Nokturnus in IX actually makes plausible sense considering his abilities and how he has Avatars and stuff also in the DQ9 post game you’re told to protect the world from the grotto bosses and it’s where it’s also where you discover the various monsters that Corvus fractured Zenus into
Like I get Nokturnus and Estark being there, but considering feats of DQ9, their fights are probably non-canon or outliers. The others don’t make sense to have a canonical appearance (at least the other legacy bosses)

The other grotto monsters I’m pretty sure are likely canon. Random 2-C scaling like that doesn’t really make sense, considering that it doesn’t even make sense in context.

In context, it does make sense for Estark and Nokturnus to have feats applicable in other games to them because the former is unbound by space and time + he randomly conjures up bodies in different dimensions (as Estark did some point after DQ4) and Nokturnus because he’s an abstract entity that deploys his avatars in different universes

Then again, even Zenus feat seems randomly assumed to be 4-A. I know he created every star in the sky, but not sure if it was all at once. But he also seperated the sea from the sky, which also implies he may have created the universe. So it's High 4-C at minimum and could go all the way up to 3-A.

Then again, even Zenus feat seems randomly assumed to be 4-A. I know he created every star in the sky, but not sure if it was all at once. But he also seperated the sea from the sky, which also implies he may have created the universe. So it's High 4-C at minimum and could go all the way up to 3-A.
This is a fair point, though I’m pretty sure it’s assumed a starry sky feat since he legitimately created every star in the sky. We could potentially propose High 4-C, possibly 4-A.

Here are some of my thoughts on potential proposals and revisions needed (at least for now)

- High 6-A Erdrick Scaling (still being discussed)

- 2-C everything else but 7 and 9 (scaling needed)

- Every major character needs some sort of early game key/mid game key or needs their early keys revised (for example, the DQ3 7-C scaling is based on a completely baseless statement never said in-game)

- Scans need actual access to instead of being locked (for example, Zoma’s Goddess scaling statement is locked, same with the scan saying Nokturnus’ power is the Goddess’ wrath)

Etc

I think other 4-A feats comes from the spammable Galaxy Rang technique that Minstrels can learn. But I still think the Zenus feat actually is High 4-C at bare minimum yeah, but I see 3-A as not being off the table.

The High 6-A feat is via sealing some Pangea like Continent in some alternate reality; there's nothing that indicates it being an antifeat against the 2-C scaling combined with End of Time and Calasmos having his own 2-C statements.

I believe their used to be images describing the scaling, but were using outdated capture methods; should have been uploaded to Imgur or Gyazo or directly to Fandom.

And yeah, there should be some stuff for Early game and Mid game scaling for each of the games.

I think other 4-A feats comes from the spammable Galaxy Rang technique that Minstrels can learn. But I still think the Zenus feat actually is High 4-C at bare minimum yeah, but I see 3-A as not being off the table.

The High 6-A feat is via sealing some Pangea like Continent in some alternate reality; there's nothing that indicates it being an antifeat against the 2-C scaling combined with End of Time and Calasmos having his own 2-C statements.

I believe their used to be images describing the scaling, but were using outdated capture methods; should have been uploaded to Imgur or Gyazo or directly to Fandom.

And yeah, there should be some stuff for Early game and Mid game scaling for each of the games.
Think the Solar Flair is just galaxy powered energy attack, rather than yeeting an actual solar flair. 3-A is debatable since it specifically says it’s “every star in the sky” which likely implies a starry sky rather than the whole universe, but again, it’s not off the table

High 6-A comes from the creation of Torland, not the sealing of it. I looked up the Goddess scaling bit, given the switch remake, it directly states that Rubiss is the Goddess mentioned, not the actual character. I can’t send pictures from my album so here’s the video links

3:41 is the so-called Goddess scaling

18:02 directly says that this is a lifelike statue of the Goddess, which its already known that this is Rubiss

They shouldn’t be confused with each other

Zoma scaling off of Calasmos and End of Time doesn’t make sense. Nothing ever implies Zoma is the reincarnation of Calasmos. That is a completely baseless statement

The only feat the could be 2-C is Zoma breaking the Sword of Light, which is already contradicted by the fact he fought on-par with Rubiss for a really long time, who’s best feat is creating Torland.

yes, those scans will probably be crucial

Most of the early game characters are probably going to be 9-C to 9-B unless there’s some other feat involved

I think I can wait for Firestorm to deliver FanofRPGs' thoughts.

Think the Solar Flair is just galaxy powered energy attack, rather than yeeting an actual solar flair. 3-A is debatable since it specifically says it’s “every star in the sky” which likely implies a starry sky rather than the whole universe, but again, it’s not off the table

High 6-A comes from the creation of Torland, not the sealing of it. I looked up the Goddess scaling bit, given the switch remake, it directly states that Rubiss is the Goddess mentioned, not the actual character. I can’t send pictures from my album so here’s the video links

3:41 is the so-called Goddess scaling

18:02 directly says that this is a lifelike statue of the Goddess, which its already known that this is Rubiss

They shouldn’t be confused with each other

Zoma scaling off of Calasmos and End of Time doesn’t make sense. Nothing ever implies Zoma is the reincarnation of Calasmos. That is a completely baseless statement

The only feat the could be 2-C is Zoma breaking the Sword of Light, which is already contradicted by the fact he fought on-par with Rubiss for a really long time, who’s best feat is creating Torland.

yes, those scans will probably be crucial

Most of the early game characters are probably going to be 9-C to 9-B unless there’s some other feat involved

Another thing worth mentioning is that the Swords of Light were forged via special means. It’s likely that the Sword of Light is far weaker in DQ3 considering it’s been so long between 11 and 3 that the former is a legend. These swords are known to weaken overtime anyways. That and what I said above disprove the 2-C arguments for Erdrick Trilogy.

We did discuss on adding other keys on the profiles though, consisting of something like

Initial Appearance | DQ9 | Spin-offs

Smth like that though might need some work. What do you guys think? @DarkDragonMedeus @Abysswalker2126

Another thing worth mentioning is that the Swords of Light were forged via special means. It’s likely that the Sword of Light is far weaker in DQ3 considering it’s been so long between 11 and 3 that the former is a legend. These swords are known to weaken overtime anyways. That and what I said above disprove the 2-C arguments for Erdrick Trilogy.
Actually, that's not always the case. The Super Sword of Light was originally just a regular Sword of Light and it actually got stronger via resting on Yggdrasil. Maybe if left on the open it gets weaker. The Sword of Erdrick from DQ2 was stated to have gotten weaker since it was in DQ1. Plus, reforging it typically makes just as strong if not stronger. The game requires you to repair the Sword of Kings in order to defeat Zoma. And it's used as an items to seal his dark aura much like the fight against Calasmos in DQ11. Also, Calasmos does mention he will be reincarnated to perform his revenge. So I'm inclined to think Calasmos is to Zoma what Demise is to Ganondorf.

Actually, that's not always the case. The Super Sword of Light was originally just a regular Sword of Light and it actually got stronger via resting on Yggdrasil. Maybe if left on the open it gets weaker. The Sword of Erdrick from DQ2 was stated to have gotten weaker since it was in DQ1. Plus, reforging it typically makes just as strong if not stronger. The game requires you to repair the Sword of Kings in order to defeat Zoma. And it's used as an items to seal his dark aura much like the fight against Calasmos in DQ11. Also, Calasmos does mention he will be reincarnated to perform his revenge. So I'm inclined to think Calasmos is to Zoma what Demise is to Ganondorf.
Potentially but it’s clear the Sword hasn’t stayed in Yggdrasil, which would’ve caused it’s weariness. The forged sword in DQ3 did not take the full steps into making the fully fledged sword. In DQ3, it’s simply just bashed Orichalcum by a random smith. In DQ11, there was a whole process that was required. You needed a special crucible near a volcano dedicated to the forging of said sword and a special forging hammer, not to mention the combined effort of your allies to create even the weakest Sword of Light. There is no reason to compare Erdrick’s Sword to The Luminary’s Sword.

Calasmos being reborn into Zoma is a fan theory, quite literally no reason for this to be presumed. It’s also a very baseless statement and comparing it to Demise is a completely different thing.

Calasmos just says he’s gonna be reborn, no specified individual. Sure there are connections between him and Zoma but it’s so loosely connected and there’s nowhere near enough evidence to prove it. Demise on the other hand, explicitly stated that his reincarnations would hunt down the royal bloodline for eternity. No reason to compare these two

Update:

So we still haven’t come to an agreement on Erdrick god tiers but we did have some discussion on the lower tiers

All Erdrick Trilogy Heroes will have 2 keys, a beginning of game one and an end of game/with Erdrick Equipment key (aside from Erdrick, he will have 3, Beginning of Game | Middle of Game - Late Game | With Erdrick’s Equipment )

All beginning of game keys will be somewhere around 9-B via fighting larger monsters like the Golem, Green Dragon, etc. The previous 8-C scaling on Erdrick is inapplicable since there is only 1 monsters that scales to that size (King Squid related monsters), and he isn’t fought till mid-game. Every other monster is like Type 0

Erdrick’s Mid-Game key can potentially be scaled off of this:

22:45

I don’t know if this would give the Mountaincleaver AP but he definitely tanks some portion of the eruption since he’s standing right at the maw of the volcano. He would be scalable to this

4:03

This could probably be used to scale the size better

I think we need more people in the discussion instead of just Fanofrpgs and I. Might be better for us so we can get this done faster. Refer to my discord contact above, I’ll invite you to a GC

If you see this, plz contact me on discord for revision discussion. We are still agree to disagree on some of the revisions and we need another pair of hands

Back