• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Doctor Strange: General / Spoiler Discussion

Matthew_Schroeder

VS Battles
Retired
This is a Discussion Thread for Doctor Strange. It will contain Spoilers for the movie

I just saw the MCU Doctor Strange movie, and decided to create a thread for discussing it. Firstly, I will give my general thoughts on the movie, strictly as a movie:

Overall, I enjoyed it. The movie was well written and competently put together. It's well shot, well directed, the plot moves at a good pace, it's never dull and the production is solid. It's a Marvel movie, they know how to be at least decent.

Benedict Cumberbatch is a good lead as Doctor Stephen Strange, who himself is one of the more interesting Marvel protagonists. He is flawed, arrogant, selfish and along the way goes through a solid character arc, though by the end he isn't quite a hero. While he does devolve into the standard "Witty and Quippy" Marvel Protagonist a couple times, I really enjoyed him. Tilda Swinton as The Ancient One was also a highlight. I won't touch on the controversies surrounding the changes cause I frankly don't care for it, but what I did care about was how entertaining, interesting and charming her whole character was. Really felt she was ultimately underused, though.

The supporting cast was also decent. Chiwetel Ejiofor as Mordo, Benedict Wong as... Wong, and Rachel McAdams as the love interest Christine were all fine, with the former too fulfilling their roles well enough. However, Strange's romance with the Christine was incredibly formulaic. They start as bickering friends, they break apart, he feels remorse over it, tries to reconnect with her, plot brings them together again and by the end they are a couple, even though they have maybe 5 scenes together and their later interactions take place in about... A weekend in story?

Mads Mikkelsen as the villain Kaecillus was alright. MCU is known for having little to no decent antagonists in it's pictures, with the only exceptions I can think of being Loki, The Winter Soldier and Zemo, though all of them are more tragic anti-villains. Kaecillus himself has little visual presence in the movie, and isn't in it enough to develop antagonist with Strange, nor does he feel like a particularly threatening foe, despite all his dark magic powers, but he does the job alright. Certainly better than what became of The Mandarin in the MCU.

Speaking of magic, the movie shines in that department. I loved the look of all things mystical and cosmic in it, and enjoyed the explanations regarding the mechanics of spells. Drawing mystical energies from parallel dimensions and utilizing it to create "Programs" in this universe, which bend reality? It all works rather well, and at no point in the movie they attempt to handwave it as scientific. It has it's own rules and limitations, but it is entirely supernatural, which I like. No "The Norse Gods are actually aliens" here.

The world of the Sorcerers and their capabilities felt somewhat limited, however. I loved all about it, but I wanted to see more. Despite how hyped I was to see Strange's powers, no one really does much in it. There is Spatial Manipulation, Time Bending, Astral Projection, Energy Attacks... And that's about it. And while what we learn of magic, parallel dimensions, the multiverse and cosmic beings is interesting, I wanted to learn more. It was weird that in a movie about a scientist encountering a mystical world, the very real and known Norse Deities that exist were never once mentioned. I would have liked to see the Sorcerers' perspective on that.

The action setpieces were all well put, specially the Inception-like moment that you've seen in all the trailers. The movie uses it's gimmicks and ideas to provide beautiful scenes, with two of them excelling and making me wish the movie was more Cosmic-centric and less Earth-focused. The Climax was a highlight with how Strange won through his brain rather than raw power. Won't spoil it, but I was smiling all the way.

Overall, it was a solid flick.

Now, let's Versus Debate and talk Spoilers:

• Firstly, a general rundown of the abilities Doctor Strange holds by the end of the movie: Energy Manipulation and Projection, capable of small energy waves and Energy weapons such as swords, shields and whips. Limited Spatial Manipulation. Astral Projection and the capability to affect and even kill souls. Flight with the Cloak of Levitation. Teleportation through Dimensional Gates. Impressive Time Manipulation with the Eye of Agamoto (More on that later)
  • Secondly, all the impressive feats we see in the trailers? They all happen through the usage of the Mirror Dimension, a parallel world where a mage's powers are greatly increased. It's there that the City Level Spatial Manipulation happens. Underwhelming
  • In the real world, the mages at best display Building level Manipulation. They don't appear particularly durable or faster than Peak Humans, either, with the Ancient One and Kaecillus being the only exception. If we accept feats from the Prequel Comic, we might end up with Multi-City Block level sorcerers with Subsonic Reaction speed.
  • The Eye of Agamoto is incredibly powerful, capable of manipulating time in a variety of ways, like rewinding and fast-forwaring time indefinitely, stopping time, creating infinite time-loops which repeat events while giving the user memory of previous versions, time paradoxes, etc. The reason it is so powerful is explained in the Spoiler Section.
  • Dormammu is in the movie through cameos. He is described as "A being of Infinite power", who draws power from mortals' fear of death across the multiverse. He exists beyond time in the Dark Dimension, a universe he apparently created / rules in which there is no past, present or future. His goal is to eventually consume all the multiverse into it, increasing his power. He invades physical universes and consumes entire worlds and more. It's left ambiguous if the Dark Dimension contains entire universes inside it, but I believe it does. In short, he is likely Low 2-C while in the Dark Dimension, Unknown outside of it.

• I disliked how The Ancient One died midway through the movie. She was a very interesting character that was sorta wasted.
  • Speaking of The Ancient One, plot holes abound with her. If she is the strongest mage on the universe, possibly the multiverse, and holds an item that can rewind time infinitely, why does the movie have a plot? She could have easily stopped Kaecillus if she wanted. She is also revealed to have some level of Precognition, viewing into possible future timelines and knowing when she would die. So why couldn't she avoid the events of the movie?
  • The Eye of Agamoto, by the way, is actually the Infinity Stone of Time, if you people hadn't figured out by now.
  • The way the movie depicts the Multiverse was incredibly fascinating to me. It appears as a multi-colored kaleidoscope-like cosmic environment with nebulaes, whirlpools, mirror dimensions, worlds, etc. At one point they depict the whole thing as one cosmic cellular-structure, with each universe resembling a cell connected to others. Really cool visuals.
  • There is a really random name-drop to The Living Tribunal in the movie. It comes out of nowhere and just left me with questions. I wonder if he will ever appear in a movie. Probably Infinity War Part 2.
  • From the way the movie depicts the Multiverse, it seems that each universe is fundamentally different, rather than it being infinite versions of our universe. The Ancient One is said to be the only one across the multiverse, for example.
  • Mordo turns to evil during the progression of the movie, being disillusioned to learn that many of The Ancient One's greater powers are drawn from Dormammu's Dark Dimension, like her immortality. While I understand that the character viewed her as a paragon and was completely obedient to her and followed every order and regulation to a t, I feel that it is short-sighted from his perspective. She used dark powers, yes, but she only ever did good deeds with them, being Earth's primary protector against cosmic forces for centuries.
  • In the end of the movie, Doctor Strange saves the day by going into the Dark Dimension which is consuming Earth, and making a deal with Dormammu. Before meeting, he sets up a time-loop with the Eye of Agamoto, so that he and Dormammu are trapped in an endless loop where they meet, Strange is instantly obliterated, and then it repeats. Eventually (How long they remained like that is ambiguous, could be "years") Dormammu agrees to spare Earth and absorb his servants if Strange will break the loop. I found it a really creative solution.
  • The Mid Credits scene is Strange and Thor talking about cosmic and otherwordly threats on Earth while the former drinks tea and the other a giant cup of beer. Thor explain that he and Loki are searching for the disappeared Odin, and Strange agrees to help. This makes me all the more excited for Thor: Ragnarok, which up until now I had no good hopes for.
  • The End Credits is simply setting up Mordo as the sequel's villain.

Dormammu did have a cool design, but not comparable to the marvel comic one, also he was better defeated here than in other sources (Like the one from Cyclops and Frankenstein's Monster).

He was. I actually enjoyed it here, and hope they continue to portray him as consistently overpowered and untouchable.

I think the Ancient One couldn't beat Kaecilius for two reasons

1) She knew she was going to die. Apparently she doesn't want to defy the laws of Nature, so she let herself be killed

2) Kaecilius was using the same source of her powers AKA the Dark Dimension

Well the AO pretty much allowed the events to play out. She could've beaten Kaecilius 1 v 1 as she is portrayed as more skilled than pretty much everyone else. And her big deal was letting Natural events play out so in character, she wouldn't stop Kaecilius other than thrrough her own powers. And the soccerers can instantly put people in the Mirror Dimension, can't they theoretically drop cities on each other? I mean, the AO crushed that one Zealot by kickin him under the foling building, could Kaecillius do the same but by droping one of the other cities onto the other when they were chasing Mordo and Strange?

The magic in Doctor Strange seemed to be generally far more impressive in terms of destructive capacity, considering there were Building to Multi-City Block level feats shown, as opposed to the Harry Potter world, which has mainly Wall level magic, with Large Building level top tiers.

Doctor Strange being Multi-City Block level would line up with other MCU top tiers being at that level. Strange would still be above them through hax.

Honestly putting Dormammu as Low 2-C seems EXTREMELY low. The Ancient One states that the multiverse is made up of an infinite number of universes, and that Dormammu was a threat to them all. He seems to be a 2-A with Immeasurable speed (exists outside of the concept of time) to me. While unable to manifest fully while the universe is under the protection of the Sorcerers, him being a threat to an infinite number of universes, if only in the Dark Dimension, would put him at 2-A.

So here's my thoughts:

General Main Characters (Strange/Ancient One/Kaec)

Attack Potency: Wall level physically (Kaec broke through a wall even while trapped inside it), at least MCB with magic (WoG says the sorcerers did not consider any prior villains to be substantial threats) | At least City level in the Mirror Dimension

Durability: Wall level

Speed: Subsonic+ (Ancient One(?) reacted to a magical arrow that could cross hundreds of meters in seconds, same previous WoG as well) | At least Massively Hypersonic+ in the Astral Dimension (perceived lightning in slow motion)

Dormmamu

Attack Potency: At least Planet level (is shown consuming planets, was considered a threat to the Earth)

The reason that isn't higher is because consuming planets is literally all he does, he never drags whole universes into his dimension. Not to mention dragging in entire universes would be a feat greater than the only feat the Infinity Stones have for AP. The "threat to the multiverse" thing sounds to me more like how any country with nukes is a "threat to humanity". No, a single nuke cannot wipe out all life, but they can do it over time. On top of that is Strange blocking his attacks, just not for an indefinite period of time.

Speed: At least Subsonic+ (blitzed Strange several times)

Although of note is that Strange does react to his attacks on occassion despite Dormmamu being bloodlusted.

Durability: At least Planet level

also maybe add in weaknesses Dormmamu can't take time loops as he never felt time or something

I think Dormammu's "threat to the multiverse" line is more substantial than a "threat to humanity" one. In order to be any threat at all to a multiverse that has stated to be infinite, the threat must be able to destroy an infinite number of worlds (world in many other works of fiction is regarded as universe, especially given this context). Being able to destroy something finite over any amount of time is far different from destroying anything infinite.

In regard to Dormammu's speed, how is he only Subsonic+? There are multiple concrete statements and examples of him being beyond time. Doctor Strange only won because he introduced time as a concept, even claiming it as something from "his world." Although the scene makes basically no sense in regard to how anything is taking place on a perceivable level without time, I think the direct statements and plot point of time outweighs logic this time around.

"In order to be any threat at all to a multiverse that has stated to be infinite, the threat must be able to destroy an infinite number of worlds (world in many other works of fiction is regarded as universe, especially given this context). Being able to destroy something finite over any amount of time is far different from destroying anything infinite"

Yes, obviously. But equally obviously that would mean the Ancient One would have to be 2-A with Immeasurable speed since they're the defender of the multiverse. How can one defend something infinite without either infinite speed to defend it or infinite power to project? I think it's pretty clear they were talking about their local "area" of the multiverse and not the entire thing as a concept.

LordXcano said:
Yes, obviously. But equally obviously that would mean the Ancient One would have to be 2-A with Immeasurable speed since they're the defender of the multiverse. How can one defend something infinite without either infinite speed to defend it or infinite power to project? I think it's pretty clear they were talking about their local "area" of the multiverse and not the entire thing as a concept.
Well the Ancient One isn't the one doing the defending directly. They are protected by mystic locations that they must defend, and not by their own power. The Sanctums provide a barrier, preventing Dormammu from manifesting in the world. His manifestation begins directly out of the final destroyed Sanctum, indicating they were acting as a type of sealant or prison to him. Perhaps the Sanctum barrier has 2-A durability since Dormammu is unable to destroy it, or as just some kind of hax.

As for the immeasurable speed thing, I think it is pretty clear that the writers had absolutely zero clue what that meant from a physics and logic point of view, but it is still WoG, and there are other profiles with similarly outlandish feats that have been accepted readily.

For Dormammu and The Ancient One.

First, 2-A or even Low 2-C The Ancient One is absolutely ridiculous. She hasn't done anything worthy of note. We can't rate her that far out of hype.

As for Dormammu.

What he needs is Keys.

When he is Outside the Dark Dimension, he should be At least 5-B, as he at least consumes Planets. When inside, he should be Low 2-C. Keep in mind that the Dark Dimension has consumed entire universes, and his ultimate goal is to consume all reality. While rating him at 2-A is ridiculous, the writers clearly intended for him to be able to consume entire universes.

For speed, he is immeasurable. Time is something that simply doesn't apply to him while in the Dark Dimension.

It's quite simple, reallly. Dormammu is in his full power inside the Dark Dimension, because he practically is it. When he leaves it to consume planets and stuff, he is pushing a fraction of himself into time. I think that hinders him.

Regardless, Dormammu has to be Low 2-C at full power.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Keep in mind that the Dark Dimension has consumed entire universes, and his ultimate goal is to consume all reality. While rating him at 2-A is ridiculous, the writers clearly intended for him to be able to consume entire universes.
Isn't this almost exactly why the Anti-Monitor is 2-A, though? Because he has consumed an infinite amount of universes? In order to be a threat to an infinite multiverse, he would absolutely have to be able to consume an infinite number of universes. The Anti-Monitor also took time to consume the universes, just like, Dormammu, and had to invade it and destroy it. He couldn't use one attack to wipe out an infinite number of universes (at least to my knowledge). What is the big difference here?

You're wanking, Dormammu isn't written as capable of devouring an entire multiverse, even if over time.

Matthew Schroeder said:
You're wanking, Dormammu isn't written as capable of devouring an entire multiverse, even if over time.
I am sorry if this appears to be wanking, but wasn't he indeed stated to threaten the multiverse? Maybe I misheard.

Just finished seeing the movie and pretty much have the same opinion as Matt in the OP.

One thing I noticed is that Kacelius and the other Zealots have Resistance to Time Manipulation, as they managed to break out of Strange's time reversal.

Oh and, Dormammu is older than time, further supporting Immeasurable speed.

Dormammu's weakness to time warping artifacts should also be noted. This brings another question to the table: should we give the Eye of Agamotto its own profile?

@Natse I think so, as I believe the other Infinity Stone empowered objects (Tesseract, Septer, Aether, Orb) all have profiles, so the Eye should also have a profile. Not sure what tier it would be, though. Do any statements or feats contain anything to suggest the Eye of Agamotto can be given a direct tier? Or are all of its abilities hax that cannot be quantified?

I agree with LordXcano's suggestions of sorcerers being Wall level in base with at least Multi-City Block level magic and at least City level in the Mirror Dimension sounding about right. Matthew Schroeder's ideas for Dormammu's keys also sound accurate to what was stated in the movie.

The Tesseract isn't written about in any way in this wiki. As for the Eye of Agamotto, Wong did mention branching timelines and the Eye itself appeared to affect both the Earth and the Dark Dimension, not to mention causality effects like with the ripped pages.

What makes Sorcerers Wall Level? Only with Energy-Construct weapons they'd be. Strange Himself is just an Athlete Physically

Kaecilus... Wasn't that the guy woth spatial manipulation/distortion/destruction powers?

It's the part where he got dragged in by the wall being repaired by time reversal and got caught in the wall. I guess he broke out through magic since the wall didn't bulge meaning he was probably sharing the same space as the wall which methinks would be possible with space manipulation.

I was thinking of just making Strange and the others Street level. Strange went through a lot of punishment in his fight against Kaecilius, breaking a lot of glass and such.

When in the Astral Form, the sorceres have intange when it comes to Organic Material. Strange did stick his fingers into his chest where he was stabbed by that one Zealot when showing Christine what to do. Wouldn't that mean the Sorcerers could crush peaples heart from inside their bodies? Theoretically of course.

During his fight with a zealot in astral form, they passed right through Christine, so sticking his fingers in his chest isn't really all that.

Besides, going astral form would make the user's body drop like a sack of potatoes in iirc, real time, except for bald master lady who had time manipulation in astral or something, shown when she told Strange that his body has yet to hit the ground when he went astral with her, and the lightning shown outside the window was moving slow-mo.

It's continued to be stretched even after she dies though, while would indicate Strange could do that on his own.

Also I don't see why you'd assume breaking out of the wall was done with magic when there's no indication of that. We see his arms move inwards and the wall breaks down, no lights or anything suggesting he used a spell. And it isn't like Wall level is something unusual for MCU anyway.

We don't know if Strange contributed to the time slow since he has glowing green markings in front of his hand when he uses time manipulation. Bald master lady doesn't have that obvious magic circle from what we've seen of her in astral form.

I also don't see how it wasn't magic that broke the wall. The guy's magic is, in contrast with Strange's yellow sparks, is transparent and colorless, iirc. Also, it was hidden by a wall. Iirc, he was trapped by it, evident by him stopping and getting caught by the wall, that his hand was left jutting out. I don't remember the wall having bulges to indicate that he was squished behind it as compared to him occupying the same space (since he can use spatial manipulation in the real world). But that's just me.

The wall formed around him. If they occupied the same space he would've died and if he used spatial manipulation it would've been obvious as all other instances of spatial manipulation show it bending/curving, not shattering like it just got hit really hard.

The only clear magic he has is a sword, which even that is visible and would've left a visual trace. The rest of his magic is even moreso visible.

Back