• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Do kinetic energy feats have to use a speed quantified for the specific case?

So I said such a thread should be made. Originally I intended to do this on the general discussion board, but in the end it is an issue to controverse and important and has to much portential to be decided based on interest in up to this point not accepted feats to be accepted.

So as the title says this is about wether or not the speed which is used to calculate kinetic energy in feats has to be quantified for the specific instant the feat is calculated from. In other words the speed of the object has to be calculated in the specific instance it is moved.

We have a current practice for that, but it was never really discussed so this thread will fulfill that purpose.

The current practice is that a speed has to be quantified for the specfic case calculated. In other words estimations like a projectile having a certain speed since the verse as a whole has a certain speed are not considered useable for calcs.

With that we are in line with the calcing standards of the OBD for the most part, even though (to my knowledge) they also require for the speed in such cases to be quantified without using reasonable timeframes. We have to this point allowed reasonable timeframes (reasonable means here unrelated to other speeds in the verse and low ends) to be used and that position is something I would like to keep.

My standing on the question is that the current practice should be kept as it is.

There are several reasons:

For one thing fiction just isn't consistent, so the assumption that everything has to happen at or at similar speeds to the best showings of the characters does not work well.

Another reason is of course that different attacks or even techniques are different. If a character is not that powerful the attack used in the feat would have to be slower, because he can not bring up the power.

Another reason is that assuming speeds based on that is unscientific, even though we are of course not very scientific to begin with.

Lastly if the rule is changed that would mean that eyeball measurments are employed of what is a reasonable speed for the attacks in relation to the characters. That would just mean that more popular characters get better estimations as unpopular ones. In other words it would open the way for bias.

Another reason is that it in some form resembles calc stacking as it would mean using a lowered quantification of a prior feat to calculate another one.

Now as a decision about calculation standards I especially want the opinion of all calc group members on keeping or changing the rule, but everyone else in the staff is probably also interested and welcome to give their opinion.

I think the standards we have right now are fine ,as you said fiction is very inconsistent and changing them would only make our jobs more uncertain.

I also agree with what was proposed. A bit off-topic, but what should we do about the usage of maps in which the areas were calced. Should we view them as calc stacking for consistency sake, or do we view it as a necessary evil?

maps? I usually think the usage of maps is fine as long as they can reasonably be assumed to be drawn to scale (there are cases where that isn't the case). Calculating the size of things on maps falls under a form of pixel scaling over muliple steps, which is accepted as not calc stacking.

Back