• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Do Abstract/Nonexistent/Nonphysical Characters Have Stamina?

Hykuu said:
don't point fingers eggman
don't try to debunk my profiles haiku

It would be the best to put their stamina at Unknown unless there are any statements that define the abstract/nonexistent being's stamina.

At minimum mental stamina applies.

But unless otherwise stated I would assume they have an (abstract/nonexistent/otherwise supernatural) energy pool that they draw from to perform actions. They won't die from exhaustion if they empty it, but their fighting capability may vanish.

So the current rating (as listed below) should be fine? And doesn't need to be changed to unknown or infinite?

Very High, potentially limitless (Chased Hachikuji for days, shows no sign of being capable of fatigue)

The Darkness lacks any form of body though, and it's more so a concept which has a single purpose, I doubt mental or physical stress apply to it (obviously) so I'd suggest limitless, unless contradicted.

If you guys insist on the abstract/nonexistent being's limitless stamina, the following text should work like a clock:

Stamina: Very high (Chased Hachikuji for days, shows no sign of being capable of fatigue), possibly limitless (Is an abstract being)

I'm not sure how to support the limitless stamina, but it may be applicable to reality-transcending abstractions as such beings are frequently shown to be living forces of reality and since that the reality practically doesn't tire, it should apply to its forces as well.

Bump.

Can we extend that to character who just generally lack a physical body? Because I'm a bit fed up with arguments involving "knocking out" or out-staminaing non-corporeal beings or the likes. At the very least, physical stamina shouldn't apply to such beings. But the idea of a "mental" stamina seems a bit speculatory to me, when it comes to ficiton who lack such concepts at least.

I'll add "Nonphysical" to the OP.

Bump.

Bump.

Bump.

Bump.

Bump.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
But the idea of a "mental" stamina seems a bit speculatory to me, when it comes to ficiton who lack such concepts at least.
Mental stamina is not really speculatory imo. It's just how human like minds work. Doing challenging tasks will leave you exhausted, even if it isn't physically hard. E.g. Writing a math exam or playing chess for several hours makes one feel drained, despite not involving much movement.

If we think even more long term, doing the same task for a long time without rest can drive people straight up insane.

Looking into this, DontTalk probably has the best case here.

From a study, physical exercise actually improves mental performance: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12595152

Subjects who took a 90-minute test before doing exercise on an exercise bike felt more fatique than subjects who just watched a documentary: https://www.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/japplphysiol.91324.2008

Cyclists mouths were rinsed with glucose and others with artificial sweetner, and the ones with glucose rinsed mouths performed better even though they consumed no extra energy: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19237430

So, mental fatique can definitely affect your physical performance and isn't really tied to actually energy used.

I mean Type 3 Self-Sustenance is physically based; it seems out a place to come up with mental stamina toward Non-Corporeal beings or similar entities.

• Type 3: Restful Self-Sustenance: The ability to continue acting forever without rest or need for sleep. These users of this ability require no rest and do not run out of energy, or even feel tired. This ability denotes practically infinite stamina and may support a resistance to certain types of Sleep Manipulation.

Let's say Non-Corporeal beings do not suffer mental fatigue or tiredness at all. They still could have mental stamina in terms of boredom, frustration, or sanity.

So in general they could have mental fatigue.

Would the character I mentioned in the OP be an exception as it's mindless, and as such shouldn't have even mental fatigue?

I would say so. I don't think a jellyfish or a sponge could get mental fatigue so another mindless creature shouldn't either.

I rather the concept of mental stamina be proven in the verse specifically, then it could be applied.

Bump?

Bump!

I'll change its stamina to "limitless" then.

Maybe this will work?

Stamina: Likely limitless (Is an abstract being and shows no sign of being capable of fatigue, either mental or physical. Chased Hachikuji for days)

I don't think so. I'll leave it up to staff whether to close the thread or not, I'm fine with leaving it open in case someone has a question about this topic in the future.

Back