• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Distance to the horizon

Greetings.
My calc has been rejected here because apparently distance to horizon calculator is unusable anymore. It has other flaws which i will revise later but these are irrelevant here.
After discussing it thoroughly with my friend i have been told that apparently there was some CRT that made the standard distance towards the horizon 20km and it was supposed to be used. Problm is...what the heck kind of rule is that? If you look from a higher place you'll see things further, it's the most basic rule. If I am 1000m above the ground then i will see the horizon at a further distance.
Question is, is this a silly misunderstanding or an actual thing? Because if it is I am going to fry someone.

The 20 km stuff is indeed for surface level heights, and that's assuming a clear visibility.

The higher you go, the more distance you see, assuming perfect conditions. Wikipedia has the values stated out. We'd use those instead of the horizon calculator, but only if the person is at those certain heights

The 20 km stuff is indeed for surface level heights, and that's assuming a clear visibility.

The higher you go, the more distance you see, assuming perfect conditions. Wikipedia has the values stated out. We'd use those instead of the horizon calculator, but only if the person is at those certain heights
could you give links?
The height in my calc is over 1300m so i need sth close to that.

nvm found it
Assuming no atmospheric refraction and a spherical Earth with radius R=6,371 kilometres (3,959 mi):

• For an observer standing on the ground with h = 1.70 metres (5 ft 7 in), the horizon is at a distance of 4.7 kilometres (2.9 mi).
  • For an observer standing on the ground with h = 2 metres (6 ft 7 in), the horizon is at a distance of 5 kilometres (3.1 mi).
  • For an observer standing on a hill or tower 30 metres (98 ft) above sea level, the horizon is at a distance of 19.6 kilometres (12.2 mi).
  • For an observer standing on a hill or tower 100 metres (330 ft) above sea level, the horizon is at a distance of 36 kilometres (22 mi).
  • For an observer standing on the roof of the Burj Khalifa, 828 metres (2,717 ft) from ground, and about 834 metres (2,736 ft) above sea level, the horizon is at a distance of 103 kilometres (64 mi).
  • For an observer atop Mount Everest (8,848 metres (29,029 ft) in altitude), the horizon is at a distance of 336 kilometres (209 mi).
  • For an observer aboard a commercial passenger plane flying at a typical altitude of 35,000 feet (11,000 m), the horizon is at a distance of 369 kilometres (229 mi).
  • For a U-2 pilot, whilst flying at its service ceiling 21,000 metres (69,000 ft), the horizon is at a distance of 517 kilometres (321 mi).

i inserted 828 meters into the horizon distance calculator and got Distance to the horizon 102.8 Kilometres which is only a smidge away from the wikipedia values.

Due to this i believe using the horizon calculator is good and should be allowed for calcs.

nvm found it
Assuming no atmospheric refraction and a spherical Earth with radius R=6,371 kilometres (3,959 mi):

• For an observer standing on the ground with h = 1.70 metres (5 ft 7 in), the horizon is at a distance of 4.7 kilometres (2.9 mi).
  • For an observer standing on the ground with h = 2 metres (6 ft 7 in), the horizon is at a distance of 5 kilometres (3.1 mi).
  • For an observer standing on a hill or tower 30 metres (98 ft) above sea level, the horizon is at a distance of 19.6 kilometres (12.2 mi).
  • For an observer standing on a hill or tower 100 metres (330 ft) above sea level, the horizon is at a distance of 36 kilometres (22 mi).
  • For an observer standing on the roof of the Burj Khalifa, 828 metres (2,717 ft) from ground, and about 834 metres (2,736 ft) above sea level, the horizon is at a distance of 103 kilometres (64 mi).
  • For an observer atop Mount Everest (8,848 metres (29,029 ft) in altitude), the horizon is at a distance of 336 kilometres (209 mi).
  • For an observer aboard a commercial passenger plane flying at a typical altitude of 35,000 feet (11,000 m), the horizon is at a distance of 369 kilometres (229 mi).
  • For a U-2 pilot, whilst flying at its service ceiling 21,000 metres (69,000 ft), the horizon is at a distance of 517 kilometres (321 mi).

i inserted 828 meters into the horizon distance calculator and got Distance to the horizon 102.8 Kilometres which is only a smidge away from the wikipedia values.
Yes, that was the link I was talking about.

However, you actually need to prove first that the character is at those heights.

However, you actually need to prove first that the character is at those heights.
in my calc i used a double angsizing to determine the height at which eternatus was. The calc is wrong but for different reasons.

Back