• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Devil May Cry: Question about Dante's speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gargoyle 1 said:
I'm sorry did you not see Arius and Mundus blatantly fire a laser at Dante or Luceia?
That laser is likely Sub-Relativistic (Not Speed of light or FTL) and Dante has already that reaction speed.

That laser is likely Sub-Relativistic (Not Speed of light or FTL) and Dante has already that reaction speed.

I find it a little strange that the demon king who created a universe can't create an FTL laser but fair enough I guess.

I've always been one who disagreed with Universal Dante, and I still do. But that is irrelevant here since we are talking about speed. A thing in which I agree with Matt with. So I vote for keeping the speed the same.

Fine but half-topic and calculations were made with the information that it really is a universe. For me, if most vote that it is not a universe, the topic may be closed. It is difficult to make calculations based on a poorly made "universe", imagine in a "whatever" Mundus has created.

Since this thread is now at 250 messages and seems to be more about whether or not the universe feat is legit in the first place rather than whether or not the speed is fine shouldn't we make a new thread?

@Matt: You still have not convinced me that flying to a nearby planet in the middle of deep outer space within a few seconds isn't Massively FTL+.

It only takes about 1000x FTL in order to qualify for a MFTL+ rating.

That's not at all proof of lightspeed, actually.

@Lina

I watch the scene myself and I still don't see how you came to that conclusion that he crossed interstellar distances.

Lina Shields said:
@Matt: You still have not convinced me that flying to a nearby planet in the middle of deep outer space within a few seconds isn't Massively FTL+.
It only takes about 1000x FTL in order to qualify for a MFTL+ rating.
Flat,300x300,075,t.u2

You used a low-slang word and called the guy a liar in the same answer and I'm disrespecting others here? If you are still mulling the phrase I sent you when you entered the topic I'm sorry, I admit that I went too far in that comment.

But if a slight sarcasm and a response with a meme is too offensive or too "troll" for you I'll stop then.

Jesus Christ, it's clear the majority agree to keep the speed the same. Someone close this before it gets out of hand.

Well, I haven't watched the scene myself, but if Dante crossed interstellar distances in a very brief time, then it should me MFTL+.

Also, I do not think that Hamiku has been sufficiently rude in this thread to warrant a block. A warning at the very most.

Antvasima said:
Also, I do not think that Hamiku has been sufficiently rude in this thread to warrant a block. A warning at the very most.
He's currently been banned for a month, should he/she be unblocked then?

@Matthew Okay then.

@Ryukama I think that a ban is too harsh. To be fair, Matthew did provoke him by calling him a liar.

@Ant With all due respect towards Matt, I sort of agree and feel both parties could have handled this better. Especially since Matt's warning on his wall to him was in the form of an immediate ban threat and calling him an asshole.

I'll unblock Hamiku and give him another firm warning myself. Hopefully this thing can be civily resolved.

@Ant: In agreement that a month long ban for something like that was a bit harsh. Will you be willing to unban him and give him a warning?

Or should I do so?

No problem, but watch your language in the future. We have to try our best to remain polite.

Random-Helper323 has told me that he wants to discuss an issue, but does not want to get insulted and ignored for doing so. I hope that we can let him have his say in peace.

Thank you, Antvasima. Very much.

Okay, I realise the consensus seems to be that the flight feat is an outlier because later feats contradict it.

AMM uses this feat as an example:

https://youtu.be/dUvCvBdYrkA?t=3m48s

It certainly seems like he's flying slow there, but as you can see regardless of how fast he may or may not have been moving, his speed in that scene was clearly sufficient for the task at hand; he and the injured Lucia escaped unscathed from the explosion. There is also the fact he is holding Lucia who is weak at that point, and might not withstand the force that would hit her if he flies full speed while holding her, meaning he has no reason to fly any faster than he did, and might have a good reason to slow himself down. This isn't unusual as Dante always holds back on his true abilities.

Basically the issue with the feat is nothing else supporting it. For what it's worth there's this clearly unquantifiable feat which could scale very high:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xx257VkmCEo

This is Dante vs Argosax. The speed feat starts at 00:49. As you can see Dante is casually speedblitzing a demon considered superior to Mundus and Sparda, which is supported by the way it's stated that at this point Dante surpassed "all who came before him". A totally unquantifiable feat but via scaling it is relevant.

And for his generally lower showings, Dante is extremely casual when he fights, as shown here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kV-Z19chIJQ

That is a lower level demon tagging Dante, but he deliberately lets her tag him simply because he knows she can't hurt him and wants to troll her, and she's actually stronger than most demons he fights.

This is repeated in a different way here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qPMNWFmD5Qw

Dante states here that he wants to know what Baul is like as a fighter, and deliberately lets Baul tag him so he can hit him back, as shown by his laughing at Baul right after Baul tags him. Dante is enjoying this fight for the swordsmanship of his foe, and is noticeably drawing the fight out so he can enjoy it more; in this video you can see their strikes have roughly equal power while Baul is in human form and yet when Baul goes berserk and transforms Dante casually overpowers him even though Baul is stronger than before. Remember Baul is extremely powerful but is also one of the best swordsmen in the world, hence the enjoyment. And since Baul is high level we know he's one of the faster demons.

In short Dante holds back immensely and deliberately allows enemies to tag him, even holding back to closer to their level so as to enjoy the fight more. Considering how casual, even deliberately reckless, these feats are it seems unfair to use them to discredit the feats he performed the one time he fought seriously, especially since many are guilty of being unquantifiable rather than sound low end feats, and even when being so casual he still stomps most of his enemies.

Keep in mind when dante fought mundus he had the Sparda sword amp him dmc 1 dante was nowhere near mundus's level so it would make sense as why his feats later in the series are not as impressive Sparda devil trigeer dante is more powerful the dmc1 dmc 4 and anime dante it's only in dmc 2 when dante has not only reach that level of power by himself he sure passed it and like random helper said dante holds back his full power he only goes all out when he finds someone on his level and at the end of the series he is the most powerful character in devil may cry nobody can match with the possibility of argosax

I said dmc 1 dante wasn't as powerful as mundus that's why he needed the Sparda sword he didn't reach that level of power again until dmc 2

The feat has been dismissed as an outlier and I just outlined a large part of why I don't think it should be, so let's discuss first. We still haven't had a constructive discussion about this particular topic. I'm also not going to be available for a few hours so please don't bump the thread or close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back