• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Devil May Cry: Question about Dante's speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lina

Marvellous! Thank you very much. Your suggestions seem reasonable to me. I think that an estimation akin to Lina's is better than trying to count the number of stars they passed.

@Crop

I don't think that Lucia and Arius should scale to anything the four top guys do. Arius was stated to absorb the power of Argosax, but we don't know exactly how much he got. After everyone's taken a good breather from all this DMC stuff, I'm going to see about scaling the lower tiers.

I'll wait about any DMC threads long enough to give everyone a break from them, but I'll try not to wait long enough for another Grimm to cause any trouble.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll get on to seeing about those laser feats and a few abilities next week.

EDIT 2: Actually, I guess I could count the number of stars. I'll bring it up next week if I can find anything useful, but I doubt it. Still, it would be better for me to at least attempt counting a number than waiting for someone to come along and say "Hey, I counted a million billion stars, so Mundus and Dante should be such and such a speed!"

Infinite thanks to Lina for the calculations, in many debates I remembered this scene but had no basis for using it as a feat of speed.

╠ÂI╠ ╠Âw╠Âo╠Âu╠Âl╠Âd╠ ╠Âa╠Âp╠Âp╠Âr╠Âe╠Âc╠Âi╠Âa╠Ât╠Âe╠ ╠Âi╠Ât╠ ╠Âi╠Âf╠ ╠Âs╠Âo╠Âm╠Âe╠Âo╠Ân╠Âe╠ ╠Âo╠Âf╠Âf╠Âe╠Âr╠Âe╠Âd╠ ╠Ât╠Âo╠ ╠Âc╠Âo╠Âu╠Ân╠Ât╠ ╠Âb╠Âi╠Âl╠Âl╠Âi╠Âo╠Ân╠Âs╠ ╠Âo╠Âf╠ ╠Âs╠Ât╠Âa╠Âr╠Âs╠Â.╠Â

Do let me know, I think specific forms of Dante have FTL speed, Sparda and DMC2, same with FTL being exclusive to demon lucea.

@Hamiku

I know, right? Lina is the MVP. But I'll give a count a shot over the weekend. I only (yeah, only) would have to make an estimation of how many were passed, not how many were there. I'm just really worried someone might come along and stir up trouble by exaggerating the feat by coming up with some unreasonably large number based on their word alone. If I try to count the stars, I can either come up with a more accurate estimation or at least be able to say to any exaggerators "Hey, I already tried, so don't bother," and then link them to this thread. For now, though, I vote we accept Lina's calculations, update the four profiles accordingly, and conclude the matter and not bother bringing it up again unless by some absurdly miniscule chance I can actually quantify anything else in the cutscene.

@ThePerpetual

Opps, sorry. I got ninja'd. Let's wait to see what Perpetual has to say.

@Gargoyle 1

The MFTL+ profiles would be Argosax (both keys/forms), Dante (Sparda and DMC2 only), Mundus, and Sparda. It looks like Arius and Lucia have keys at 3-A due to Arius's obtaining Argosax's power, but I don't know if that's okay since we do not know how much power Arius got. But it's fine to wait to address that matter until another time; let's focus on the MFTL+ feats first.

Arius had 3/4 of the pieces prior to performing the ritual, so possibly 3/4th the power of his first form? Plus it's worth mentioning Arius did fight Dante, though we have no idea what happened.

Now, there was a laser/light feat in DMC somewhere. Is there a clip for this?

EDIT: Aside from that, should we wait for more people to weigh in on this, or can the changes to the speed to be made?

There is no evidence of FTL in Devil May Cry. Dante nor Mundus ever flied past galaxies, and this is also contradicted by everything else in the franchise.

Dante simply flew in space, which is being extrapolated to be flying past galaxies, with 0 evidence. The clouds he entered was that planetoid's atmosphere.

You people are simply extrapolating vague backgrounds.

We have not mentioned Dante being able to fly past galaxies.

The issue is that Dante/Mundus were in the middle of nowhere in outer space, and the planetoid in question could have been orbiting in any one of those stars, which on average, are light years away.

@Lina

They reach a planetoid. They descend into its atmosphere.

"Could be"

So what if it could? We don't make assumptions like that.

Again, you can't quantify creating a pocket dimension through speed.

Besides, literally every single character on Mundus' level has no feats of MFTL+ speed.

@Matt:

They reach a planetoid from outer space in the middle of nowhere. Most planets usually orbit other stars.

Said stars are at least light years away from each other on average, meaning Dante/Mundus is at least be that far away from the nearest star.

I personally think that Lina makes sense.

Lina Shields said:
Now, there was a laser/light feat in DMC somewhere. Is there a clip for this?

EDIT: Aside from that, should we wait for more people to weigh in on this, or can the changes to the speed to be made?
Well there are a couple lazer feats, Trish pushing Dante out of the way of a laser before the Mundus fight, and Dante pushing Lucea out of the way of a lazer in Dantes fight with Arius, someone get a clip of those.

Matthew Schroeder said:
It is an obscene Outlier, even if the logic is or isn't right, and I personally see no sense in it.
I agree with this, if you were to go through Devil May Cry 2 there is literally not a single instance of Dante flying nor moving at even a tenth of this speed. One example is this, where there is no logical reason that Dante should fly at the speed he's going here (although, it's interesting to note that he may have outpaced an explosion? Perhaps not, maybe it's a perspective thing. I'd need to look into it.)

There's another thing, which involves Dante's sub-relativistic speed rating. The calculation regarding the projectile was only one result out of a few; to say that was its definitive speed is simply just cherry picking. But it doesn't really matter anyways since Dante never had to dodge this projectile to begin with.

Also, why should creating a universe even scale to speed? I don't get the rationale behind that.

Well, if both AMM and Matthew disagree with this, and think that it is an outlier, that makes the feat considerably more uncertain to use.

It's definitely an outlier.

Firstly, you cannot gain speeds from Universe Creating feats. Reality Warping and Creation from Nothing are not acts of speed, and are not quantifiable nor reliable.

Secondly, the flight feat is very iffy and is centered around overanalyzing backgrounds.

Thirdly, there are multiple other Mundus level entities in Devil May Cry, and they have no FTL feats. In fact, there are no FTL feats in the entire franchise safe for these two, highly questionable ones, one of which is straight up unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back