• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Devil May Cry Playing/Reading/Watching Order

I've been getting into Devil May Cry recently. While I am vaguely aware of the timeline, I don't know which games, manga, novels, and anime are required or recommended to get the "full story".

I'll list them in chronological order. I'll bold the entries that are most central to the franchise.

DMC1 light novel:

A light novel simply called Devil May Cry.

DMC3 Manga:

It is a manga simply called Devil May Cry. Never truly finished.

Devil May Cry 3:

It is considered the most key game in the franchise as well as the best. It is part of the Devil May Cry HD Collection, and is a 2005 PS2 game. Introduces us to a Dante who is honestly kind of a brat, and needs to grow up. Also introduces us to him shirtless, which some people really liked. Was the progenitor of the modern DMC gameplay style. Earlier ones used a slower combat system.

DMC Peak of Combat:

It is a mobile game that might be released on consoles and PC eventually. I've heard it will be from a few sources.

Devil May Cry:

The first game made back in 2001, and part of the Devil May Cry HD Collection. Very key to the story. Rivals DMC3 for the title of most key game in the franchise. A slower gameplay style and rather difficult, but a good game if you can tolerate the slower pace.

DMC the animated series:

The anime, set after DMC1. Mostly a side piece, but worth watching. Expands on Dante as a character.

DMC2 Light Novel:

A light novel simply called Devil May Cry 2. Is actually a decent read.

Devil May Cry 2:

The second game made in 2003, generally written off as the franchise's only failure. It is included in the Devil May Cry HD Collection. Clunkier gameplay than the others, but easier and quick to finish. Lucia is actually more interesting than Dante in this game due to how he's written. Shame they couldn't have had more scenes involving just her and Matier, because they were both more interesting than Arius and DMC2 Dante.

Devil May Cry 4:

Game made in 2008, released on PS3 and Xbox 360 with its re-release Special Edition releasing on PS4 and PC. Introduces Nero, DMC's pallette swap of Ichigo with a fighting style inspired by Kratos. Dante makes a return so people wouldn't notice the franchise was being turned into Emo of War. Despite this, it was still a good game. Also introduced the series to jiggle physics and revealing outfits.

DMC Before the Nightmare:

Light novel set before DMC5. Mostly just expands on the characters.

Devil May Cry 5:

Latest game, made in 2018 and released on PC, PS4 and Xbox 1, with Capcom only releasing the Special Edition on PS5, although playable Vergil is available on PC. Introduces us to Dante's new hobo look, Nero's new block head, Trish and Lady's new boob reduction coupled with big nose and jaw, and Nico, arguably the Jar Jar of DMC. Has solid gameplay though, and all four characters are fun to use, although in my opinion that's less true of V, who is like a conjuration-only build in an Elder Scrolls game except you have to button mash to make the summons attack.

DMC Visions of V:

Manga set alongside DMC5 that expands on V and Vergil, contains spoilers for DMC5, and seems largely focused on trying to pretend the guy who just slaughtered a whole city deserves our sympathy because he has the sad. Seems to be either finished or on long term hiatus.

Note: the Devil May Cry HD Collection has been released on PC as well as most consoles from PS3/Xbox 360 onwards. It is widely available, and as listed above contains the first three games. Two of which are actually good, while DMC2 is still okay really. The best way to be introduced to the franchise is probably to get the HD Collection and start with DMC3, then DMC1. DMC2 is optional but alright.

Last edited:
I'll list them in chronological order. I'll bold the entries that are most central to the franchise.

DMC3 Manga:

It is a manga simply called Devil May Cry. Never truly finished.

The DMC1 light novel:

A light novel simply called Devil May Cry.

Devil May Cry 3:

It is considered the most key game in the franchise as well as the best. It is part of the Devil May Cry HD Collection, and is a 2005 PS2 game. Introduces us to a Dante who is honestly kind of a brat, and needs to grow up. Also introduces us to him shirtless, which some people really liked. Was the progenitor of the modern DMC gameplay style. Earlier ones used a slower combat system.

DMC Peak of Combat:

It is a mobile game that might be released on consoles and PC eventually. I've heard it will be from a few sources.

Devil May Cry:

The first game made back in 2001, and part of the Devil May Cry HD Collection. Very key to the story. Rivals DMC3 for the title of most key game in the franchise. A slower gameplay style and rather difficult.

DMC the animated series:

The anime, set after DMC1. Mostly a side piece, but worth watching. Expands on Dante as a character.

DMC2 Light Novel:

A light novel simply called Devil May Cry 2. Is actually a decent read.

Devil May Cry 2:

The second game made in 2003, generally written off as the franchise's only failure. It is included in the Devil May Cry HD Collection. Clunkier gameplay than the others, but easier and quick to finish. Lucia is actually more interesting than Dante in this game due to how he's written.

Devil May Cry 4:

Game made in 2008, released on PS3 and Xbox 360 with its re-release Special Edition releasing on PS4 and PC. Introduces Nero, DMC's pallette swap of Ichigo with a fighting style inspired by Kratos. Dante makes a return so people wouldn't notice the franchise was being turned into Emo of War. Also introduced the series to jiggle physics and highly revealing outfits.

DMC Before the Nightmare:

Light novel set before DMC5. Mostly just expands on the characters.

Devil May Cry 5:

Latest game, made in 2018 and released on PC, PS4 and Xbox 1, with Capcom only releasing the Special Edition on PS5, although playable Vergil is available on PC. Introduces us to Dante's new hobo look, Nero's new block head, Trish and Lady's new boob reduction coupled with big nose and jaw, and Nico, arguably the Jar Jar of DMC. Has solid gameplay though, and all four characters are fun to use, although in my opinion that's less true of V.

DMC Visions of V:

Manga set alongside DMC5 that expands on V and Vergil, contains spoilers for DMC5, and seems largely focused on trying to pretend the guy who just slaughtered a whole city deserves our sympathy because he has the sad. Seems to be either finished or on long term hiatus.

Note: the Devil May Cry HD Collection has been released on PC as well as most consoles from PS3/Xbox 360 onwards. It is widely available, and as listed above contains the first three games. Two of which are actually good, while DMC2 is still okay really.
DMC 1 novel should be the first, considering DMC 3 manga, Dante is already has Ebony&Ivory.

Back