• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Deviants & Overshadowed Okage: Shadow King

LordGriffin1000

Awakened after 1000 years
He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Hello and welcome to another Okage: Shadow King thread. In this thread, I want discuss what a Deviant and Overshadowed truely are. This is just like my other threads that were about Beiloune's Classification ability and what it was down to it's core. Like those threads, I am doing this so people can understand what these two things are so I don't half to keep explaining it whenever they are in a match and more importantly, I want to make sure people agree with what I'm going to suggest. So get your reading glasses on if you ware them because this will be a bit long.

Deviant
First we will start with what a Deviant is. Here is the brief description on the verse page.

Deviant: An exception to Beiloune's rules of Classification, these beings are immune to the effects and are thus outside of Beiloune's main influence. While most deviants are incredibly rare, those that regularly associate with them can slowly become Deviants over time, and thus, too, be outside of Beiloune's classifications.

So this gives you an idea of what they are but doesn't go into full blown detail. Deviant's are basically beings who are unable to be classified, they cannot be put into a group. An example would be if 100 people got infected by a virus that turns them into "Zombies" or "Undead", any Deviant among them would be resistant to nearly immune to it's effects because it would "classify" them as something and Deviants cannot be classified. If you still don't full understand I'll post some dialogue from the game.

Chapter 1: The Boy meets the King
Ok, so there are a few notabe things in chapter 1 that hint to what being a Deviant means and first we will start with the Narrator's description/classification of Ari who is the main protagonist of the game.

Narrator: ...As you will see. This story starts with an ordinary conversation of an ordinary family. And... With the inconspicuous boy who appeared behind his sister. Unexpected as it may be. This unassuming boy is the hero... of this peculiar we are about to see.

So Ari's Classification was just suppose to be an "Ordinary Boy" which is backed up by his in game description, nothing special about him. However as a Deviant, Ari isn't about to stay that way. The first hint of what a Deviant is, is when you speak to the clerk at your father's job.

Competent Looking Clerk: We, the public workers, work to ensure the stability of the everyday lives of the villagers. But there is another job. To manage the "Classification Table" of the people in the Village.

Ari: Which "Classification" do I fall into?.

Competent Looking Clerk: You were... Um, uh.... I don't remember. Your a shady guy... Sorry, I don't mean it in a bad way. I'll check it for you.

That's pretty much it for chapter 1. Ari isn't just an ordinary boy as his "Classification" originally intended him to be and is not on the "Classification list".

Chapter 5: Lost Souls and Shadows
After Ari returns to the world and gets everyone back together, the confront Beiloune who talks about Classification and Ari being a Deviant.

Beiloune: This small world was separated by me from the universe by the power of "classification". And you, too, were let live in this small world with the power of "classification". To play the roles that I gave. It was all for my dearest daughter Marlene, to enjoy her eternal life without any bordom... It was... What is classification to begin with? What are heros? Evil Kings? & Ghosts...? You never thought about it, have you? You cannot. You are classified as naive residents who don't think intelligently. However for some reason, over time, occasionally deviants appear. And one of them is now in front of me. Ari! A deviant in my world!. It's all the fault of your kind of people!. If there no deviants like you, everything would go smoothly. I cannot let your kind of people live!. I will "classify" the remaining Evil Kings with maximum power & send them to you!.

Kisling: He believes that if you, who are not under the power of "classification". The world "classified" in Beiloune's mind has gone even further than "classification". The residents... ghosts as well as ourselves... If it's true, then we are all actors... Preformers playing out their roles. I'm playing out the role of a scholar, and maybe you are playing the role of an ordinary boy... Stan, you are playing the antagonist called the Evil King and Rosalyn, you are playing a righteous hero attempting to defeat him. It's an exciting yet very safe world full of adventure ready for a princess to play in. It should have been safe. If the history of Evil Kings and Heroes in this world is the history that he let his daughter play in... Then we cannot imagine, how long has he and his daughter have existed... If this world is indeed some tiny garden as Beiloune says, created by the power of "classification"... Then if we removed "classification" from his world, there may be an entire universe that well reveal itself.

Kisling: Now the hero, Ms Rosalyn, the former Evil Kings and myself are also deviants in this world.

So Ari is basically an exception to Beiloune's Classification hax because Deviants cannot be classified.

Chapter 6: Night in the Highlands
Epros: Though defeated, I will not be denied, by a hero, a party of Evil Kings and a "not classified".

Epros calls Ari a not classified as well.

Conclusion
Given what Deviants are, there resistance should be changed to stating they are resistant to being "Labeled" or "Classified". For example, Ari was resistant to Linda (Okage: Shadow King) mind control because it would have put him under here control which would have classified him as a "Mind Slave" or "Servant", he's resistant to Powernull because that would classify him as powerless. Ari was even keeping Beiloune from altering history back to its orginal state until Ari became an Overshadowed and was no longer in the world and as soon as Ari vanished, Beiloune's Classification fixed everything and put everything back to normal. There should be a description for this on the characters Notable Attacks / Techniques section.

Deviant: As a Deviant, "Insert Characters Name" is naturally resistant to being classified. This gives "him/her" resistance to any ability that would label them as somthing else. For example, Ari was classified as an ordinary boy but do to his status as a Deviant, he broke away from this classification and became the hero of Beiloune's story which he classified Rosaly to be the hero. This a passive effect and even protects them from having their own fate being manipulated, and stopping the very laws of the world from being altered.

Overshadowed
Same as before, here is the description of an Overshadowed.

Overshadowed: A term describing Ari. This term largely means he is almost unnoticeable by others, others do not notice him or outright ignore him do to this classification. Once he meets Stan, he is able to deviant from this status, however.

This gives you an idea of what they are but only the first stage Overshadowed and doesn't go into full blown detail. There are different levels of an Overshadowed being and I'll post exact dialogue from the game so you can see what Overshadowed are for yourselves.

Chapter 1: The Boy meets the King
Ok so there are a few notable things in chapter 1 that hint to what Overshadowed means. These are Ari's conversations with people he is standing fright in front of an they literally don't notice him.

Pudgy Boy: Hmm, Nancy? Or Connie?.......

Ari: What's wrong?.

Pudgy Boy: ......Whoa! You scared me! Oh, it's you, Ari. When did you show up? I didnt even notic.

Next Ari walks up to Julia and tries to talk to her but she doesn't answer and Ari says this in his head.

Ari: (Don't worry I'm used to being ignored)

Julia: .......

Ari: (Stealthy aren't I)

Julia: Huh? Oh, Ari! i was daydreaming. Sorry about that.

She says she was just daydreaming but Ari literally walk up to her face and tries to talk to her but she doesn't notice him and his in head dialogue suggests this happens a lot. Ari's sister Annie also states this.

Annie: Let's see... Ari, you're the type that.... blends into someone else's shadow

Ari then has a conversation with a Pudgy Man who is also revealed to be an Overshadowed later.

Pudgy Man: By the way kid, your spirit seems overshadowed. Everyone tells you that, huh?

Ari: It's true

Pudgy Man: Ha ha ha, I see. Well, you know, you're very overshadowed. Watch yourself, now. Heh heh heh! Be strong kiddo! Ha ha ha!

Ok, that ends the talk suggesting what an Overshadowed is but we later see that is just the first stage. Ari is regularly ignored by others and people don't even notice him at times even though he is right in front of them.

Chapter 4: Strange Days and Stranger Company
So near the end of this chapter we finally see Ari become a full Overshadowed and what happens as soon as it happens, here is the dialogue.

Rosalyn: Did you find out something?

Kisling: Well, there was an inscription in our language on the edges of the magic square. When we accept the contents with a pure and unrebellious mind... this magic square will "reinforce the attributes of the one who steps on it"...

Stan: Reinforce the attributes...

Rosalyn: Which means?

Kisling: Well, according to me, who possesses linguistic sense as precious as true love or really good lasagne, it translates to: "It makes the but-kicking powers of the dude who stands on it even more crankin". Um, I think.

After a few more lines, Ari and Stan step on the square.

Big Bull: Whoa, it's flashing!?

Stan: Hm, What!? Hey Ari! There's something wrong with your body! My... body is... from the inside....

After a flash of light, Ari's body becomes translucent (from are view) but invisible to the in game characters.

Rosalyn: ? ...Ummm? What was I doing?

Ari: Oh, I am fine

Kisling: You know, Ms Rosalyn. This is a magic square that reinforces the skill of the one who steps on it.

Rosalyn: Yes, that makes sense. I wonder if it has the same effect if a human steps on it?.

Ari: Huh? Didn't they hear me?

So none of them can see or hear Ari and they are acting as if he was never there, Kisling even repeats the same dialogue about the magic square. They don't even talk about Ari anymore as if he doesn't exist. Here is the Narrator's words after they leave Ari behind.

Narrator: Suddenly, his friends disappeared... And Stan will not appear regardless of being called again and again... Now, the boy is alone...

So to basically sum up what happened. Ari and Stan both stepped on the Magic Square and it did what it was suppose to do, it reinforced thier attributes, which in Ari's case boosted his Overshadowed nature. This is why none of them could see or hear Ari because he was no longer apart of the world. This is evident because Beiloune's Classification effects on the world started to effect them, which wasn't happening before because Ari was a Deviant and he was passively messing with the laws of the world but do to becoming a full Overshadowed, the world sees it as Ari doesn't exists. This is backed up while you start walking around in the next chapter.

Chapter 5: Lost Souls and Shadows
While exploring the world as an Overshadowed, you see the events of the world have changed. Instead of Ari being the one who saved Princess Marlene with the help of Rosalyn, it was Rosalyn by herself who say the Princess. It is also stated that Rosalyn has fought Great Evil King Stan, however this has not happen before as Stan was sealed for 300 years and wasn't freed until he meet Ari and from that point on, Stan wasn't the Great Evil King yet. No one even knows who Ari is and all of his actions have been erased from history. After wandering for some time Ari meets up with other Overshadowed beings and they explain to him what he has become.

KT: How do you do, I'm KT. This is Triste or, to be precise, the area designated as Triste... My, this is uncommon, to get two new visitors in a row here. The people here are no longer noticed. A sanctuary for the disregarded. The world would act as if no one was there, even if we were in front of there eyes. Our citizens are people and ghosts. Rather than be reminded of our state, we close our gates to outsiders. But you are an exception.

Loitering Gentleman: Hi there. So were you kicked out of the "world?". Or did you chose to come here freely? It bothers me. Is there really an "inside" or "outside" to the natural world. By what standard does Nature measure it's inhabitants? I suspect that someone's changed the world into an inside world and an outside world. That someone divided reality to his own advantage.

Block: Hey kid. So it's you! It's me. Block, the ringmaster from the circus. I tried to warn you once. But you wound up here, after all. What, you don't know what I'm talking about? Don't you know what's become of you? Haven't you noticed that the people seem to outright ignore you sometimes?... What? Not just sometimes, but all the time? Hmmm. That's worse than I thought. But not to worry, you'll be ok. If I'm doing ok, I'm sure you will, too. Once I'd told you that your shadow was thin. What that means is...uh, this is purely my own thinking but... Our shadows have reached a point of their thinness. They are so thin that no one notices us anymore. Like the pebbles on the ground, completely insignificant.

Block: Right now, in the eyes of the world, you might as well not be there. I'm not being mean or anything. In some ways, we're outlaws. We never conformed to society. Anyway, thinking of it like that helps. Folks here in Triste are the same as you. They've been this way for quite a while. Somehow, being alike, we can see each other and talk amongst ourselves though out in the world, we remained unnoticed'--. Weird, isn't it?. And it's not limited to people. Places go unnoticed as well. When I first found myself in this state, I totally panicked and without thinking about it. I found myself in places I'd never before seen. This was one of them. My "symptoms" were mild and I eventually recovered. Once in while, I'd get ignored or see my own kind but it was never as bad as that one time. I never thought I'd see this place again and now I'm here thanks to "Transverse Tunnel you guys opened.

Oh, you wanna know how to get back? Not so fast. There are things you can do and see only when you're in this state. So enjoy! Live it up! ...Oh right, I forgot that that's how you got into this mess. Well it's easy once you know the trick. Well, at least for me, it works. It's all about speaking for yourself. Breaking into conversations, here and there, saying whatever you wish with a confident voice. At first they might not hear you but keep it going. After meny tries, you will suddenly feel this sensation of passing trough a wall. Once you reach that stage, come and talk to me again. Then I will cast a special spell on you and you'll return to normal. Oh, don't try it with the folks in this town. It's not gonna work. You can't effect the ineffectual ya' know? Your symptoms are so advanced that I'll only be able to restore you barely past the borderline. Try interacting with the world again but this time, be strong! Otherwise, it might happen again. That's about it. Good luck.

Conclusion
I honestly believe the Overshadowed should have these powers.

Nonexistent Physiology

Type 1: Material Nonexistence: The lack of any conventional existence. Such a character will exist as something beyond the normal scope of the physical and metaphysical worlds, instead existing as an idea or other unconventional state. Such entities can be conceptualized by individuals, but do not exist in a physical or normal metaphysical form, such as a soul. In terms of binary, this would be a 0, where existence is 1 and nonexistence is 0.

Acausality

Type 4: Irregular Causality: Characters with this type of Acausality operate on a different and irregular system of cause and effect than regular causality. This grants them resistance to abilities such as Causality Manipulation, Fate Manipulation, and Precognition, among others.

As the story shows, Overshadowed beings ar no longer apart of the natural world. They have reached a state in which reality and those in it don't notice their existence anymore. This is at a level in which when Ari became one, Beiloune's Classification of the world was able to take effect and change history because Ari was no longer apart of it so his Deviant nature could no longer hold back the classified world. They describe it as they are completely unnoticed by the world an in it's eyes might as well not even be there. They go on to state tje world was divided and their is now an inside world and outside world, which is referring to when Beiloune split his reality from the main universe which cause people to start fading from reality but instead of ending up back in the main universe, they ended up becoming Overshadowed, still being albe to walk through Beiloune's world but their no longer bound by it's laws being stuck "outside" of his reality and the main universe. This not only applies to people but also places. They even state they are "ineffectual" and Beiloune could only effect them by entering the same state as them. Epros even referred to it as "the back stage" do to it no being apart of reality and he can't reach the level of existance as Ari and he is just an illusion.

Even if we don't accept Nonexistent Physiology and or Acasualty. I think a description should go on the Notable Attacks / Techniques section for the Overshadowed.

Overshadowed: As an "Overshadowed" , "Insert Characters Name" no longer is apart of reality, existing outside of it completely, unable to be seen, heard or interacted with by thos who exist within reality. They remain completely unnoticed, with the world seeing them as though they are not there, as beings who are considered "ineffectual". The longer they stay in this state the stronger it becomes.

So, thoughts?

I would be fine with the Notable Attacks / Techniques update proposals. I am not quite sure about Acausality and Nonexistent Physiology additions yet; I am neutral on them but I am leaning with yes so far but I think I can make my final decision on them tomorrow.

@Elizhaa

Ok, thanks. I'll see if I can find more evidence.

Sadly, I have not found anymore evidence to support Nonexistent Physiology or Acasuality.

Overshadowed are uneffected by the world resetting and the alterations of time. This is because they are no longer apart of the world. I guess I'll wait to see what others agree upon.

I feel like Deviants would resist law manip if you want to specifically label Classification.

For Overshadowed, I don't think they're nonexistent, they just have really really good stealth capabilities. I'm iffy on type 4 as nothing in the scans told me that they're completely detached from fate. It feels a lot more like type 1 to me.

@Sir

Well we did label Classification as Law Manip and Reality Warping at it's core. However, Deviants have resisted other abilities not directed from Beiloune's Classification. Such as Linda's Mind Control, Ghosts Sleep Manipulation, Poison Manipaltion and other effects which is due to thier statues as Deviants at least from what the game tells use.

I guess Nonexistent Physiology is out given Mr.Bambu also thinks the same. For Acasuality, Beiloune can control the Fate's of others with Classification and even reset the world, Overshadowed are uneffected by the world resets. Though I guess that's just do to them being not seen by reality. Then their current justification will stay the same. Now that I think about Beiloune can effect them once he enters their state of existance so Acasuality type 4 is a no sadly.

Back