• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Depowering the Doki Doki Verse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duedate8898

They/Them
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
I've noticed this really weird thing about the Doki Doki verse that people don't really seem to be considering. This is the setting of the game. From playing and looking at what is present, Doki Doki Literature Club doesn't take place in the actual game, but in the real world.

This is due to the fact that a part of the game has to do with actually messing with the files and how the game acknowledges that the person behind the screen exists.

Unlike other games that acknowledge The Player (OFF is a great example) Doki Doki Literature Club also acknowledges that it is, in fact, a program. And if Monika is in fact only manipulating a program, that would mean she isn't manipulating reality. And this would go for the Player as well.

Doki Doki is a great game, but not a very powerful universe. From what I've seen anyway.

Does someone have a reason as to why The Player and Monika should have as high tiers as they do, because I would love to hear it.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Metafiction =/= everything is 11-A/10-C, given that most of the game still takes place within the universe of the game.
I don't really understand what you're attempting to say.

There are no more reason to treat DDLC as just fiction than any other verse which (seriously) recognizes itself as fiction. It is the same for even your example, OFF.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
There are no more reason to treat DDLC as just fiction than any other verse which (seriously) recognizes itself as fiction. It is the same for even your example, OFF.
But with games like OFF, the characters themselves don't really acknolwedge themselves as programs, hell they even view The Player as just some normal human. They see them as some strange entity that acts like a parasite. Doki Doki on the other hand, makes it clear that it is a program, not some separate universe that we're interacting with through the game.

They do though. Zacharie outright says that this is all a game and even mentions the readme.

OFF is far from the only verse that does that. DC treats its comics as actual comics and the ultimate god as a writer. SCP acknowledges that it's just a fictional story written by a bunch of horror writers. Minecraft knows it's just a game.

DDLC only plays it further, by having most of the plot play around it.

@ Saikou The Lewd King

I see your point with Zacharie and Minecraft, not too sure on DC and I know nothing on SCP.

But you yourself state that the plot revolves around the idea that the game is just game. So why should we treat it as anything more?

@Due The world is still treated as a thing for a lot of the game, and most actions takes place in it. Like I said, it's no different from verses with similar logic that just don't specifically revolve around that.

Going to sleep for now though.

@Saikou I'm still not too sure, but I need rest myself. So I'll continue this tomorrow when I've also got another viewpoint on this.

Ok, I talked it over with another person just now and they helped me realize why as to why Monika and the Player are the way that they are, so I'm finished with this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back