• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Decibel DC/AP?

So I saw Cyborg's 1 million decibel feat and many people consider it debunk for lack of scinetific knowledge, I am curious about two things

1. What is the formula or method to finding what # of decibels equate to joules or energy?

2. What would the AP be for these sets of decibels?

• 10 Decibel
    • 100 Decibel
    • 1000 Decibel

Not exactly sure about this myself, but I will say that Cyborg being able to destroy the universe with his 1,000,000 decibels is ridiculous considering sound, no matter how powerful, cannot travel through a vacuum. He would utterly annihilate Earth, but the universe is fine.

You can't directly get Joule from decibel. You convert it to something like watts per square meter, so you need, like... the length of the scream and the area of his open mouth or something? lol

And maybe at such ridiculous amplitude the sheer mass-energy of his shout emitted gravitational energies that pulverized all astronomic bodies and disassembled all clusters they formed. :v

Mand21 said:
You can't directly get Joule from decibel. You convert it to something like watts per square meter, so you need, like... the length of the scream and the area of his open mouth or something? lol
And maybe at such ridiculous amplitude the sheer mass-energy of his shout emitted gravitational energies that pulverized all astronomic bodies and disassembled all clusters they formed. :v
Well, thank you for that info, I knew that it can be converted to watts, but didn't know what the proper formula for that would be.

Sound pressure (in air) (in Pascals)= 10^(((SPL in db)-100)/20)*2

Sound intensity (in a spherical soundwave) (in watts)= (SP in Pascals)/(pi4(distance from source)^2)

Particle velocity (in m/s)= (SI in watts)/(SP in Pascals)

Sound Energy Density (In J/m^3)= (SP in Pascals)*(PV in m/s)/(Speed Of Sound)=(SP in Pascals)*(SI in watts)/(SP in Pascals)/(Speed Of Sound)=(SI in watts)/(Speed Of Sound)=(SP in Pascals)/(pi4(distance from source)^2)/(Speed of Sound)

Unlikily the energy equation is the hardest, as it involves integrals which I dunno

DCEU Batman is Low 7-B with 300 Decibel Soundwave emitters.

Sound pressure=P; Medium Density= D; Speed of Sound=S Volume of the sphere=V; Distance from the centre=R
Calculate (P/S)^2/(2D). Plug it here, with V in the Lower Bound (from) section. multiply it by 4R^4pi/3. Profit. actually, that calculator doesn't work, sorry.

Wait can't we get SPoL by SPrL+10[or is it 20? I always saw 20 in decibel equations...]log(2pi*r^2) dB, and as such for a decibel measured at the canonical 1 meter distance SPrL+7.9817986835[or is it 15.963597367?] and as such Sound Shockwave energy=10^((dB- 92.0182013165[or is it 84.036402633])/20)*2*timeframe (that anyways should be reduced to the time one would avtually take damage, likely we should just devide by 343)?
so by using the wikipedia value for lowball:
10 dB= 10^((10-92.0182013165)/20)*2*timeframe=0.00007926654*timeframe joules
100 dB= 10^((100-92.0182013165)/20)*2*timeframe=5.01325654922*timeframe joules
1000 dB= 10^((1000-92.0182013165)/20)*2*timeframe=5.0132565E45*Timeframe joules
1100 dB= 10^((1100-92.0182013165)/20)*2*timeframe=5.0132565E50*Timeframe joules

1000000 dB= 10^((1000000-92.0182013165)/20)*2*timeframe=2E49995.3990899*Timeframe joules. DAFAQ STRONGER THAN AMITABHA

To be honest, dB stuff is never used in fiction, and anything below 139 dB wouldn't cause any notable injurie to humans no matter the time, and for anything above 139 dB we use nuke/explosion calculations. Neither soundwaves nor shockwaves can travel through the void of space.

Thank you everyone, but I think I found a good calculator.

P(W) = 1W Ôïà 10(P(dBW)/ 10)

it uses dBw or sound power level tough. Which IIRC isn't really measurable without formulas.
dB or sound pressure level are the ones a micro/hydrophone can measure, and the measure of how "loud" a sound is.

WeeklyBattles said:
Convert Decibels to Watts and then Watts to Joules
With the formula that Mand21 provided, should I do the formula but in reverse?

Because after doing the formula in reverse, I get 1e+50 watts to joules, that is Solar System Level.

because they are not convertable units, I am just looking for a formula that is agreeable upon by many people, it's not you.

Back