• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Death note abilities upgrade

I was looking at the Death Note pages and realized a few abilities were missing from the Death Note and its wielders.

The first one is life manipulation for Ryuk, and The Death Note (when in the hands of a Shinigami). In Death Note when a shinigami kills someone with the Death Note, that person's life expectancy is added onto their own (this is actually already mentioned in Ryuk's weaknesses, but not in his powers and abilities).

The next ability is fate/causality manipulation for Light, Ryuk, and The Death Note. The way the Death manipulation of the Death Note works isn't by just causing death, but by creating a scenario where someone will die, falling under the manipulation of causes of death part of the death manipulation page. This can be as specific as the user likes, and as long as it is physically possible, within a certain number of days from when it was written, and will not kill individuals not named in the notebook the events will play out.

The last ability is resistance to causality and death manipulation for Ryuk, because the Shinigami are unable to be affected by the Death Note.

The first 2 are fine, but isn't the last one less an ability of the Shinigami themselves and more a rule/law that the Shinigami King made?

The death note killing is more probability manipulation than causality (causality would mean that it does things which could without its influence absolutely not happen).

It is not only that it has to be physically possible, but also an outcome that could happen with some chance. Like one can, for example, see from the fact that you can't make a target write some information it doesn't know, because, while physically possible, there isn't an actual probability for the target to do that.

One should also note that the Death Manipulation and proability manipulation are related.

So I would suggest something like "Death Manipulation through Probability Manipulation" or something along this lines.

Life Manipulation is ok, though the page should of course specify in which way that is meant when added.

Regarding the last, since the Death Note, as far as I am aware, only targets humans and nothing else, the fact that one can not kill a shinigami with it is a weakness of the Death Notes capabilities not a resistance in regards to shinigami (hence the death note profile lists it as weakness, I suppose)

I would say its "Death Manipulation via Fate Manipulation" actually. Similar, but Probability Manipulation sounds more like writing in the book makes it 100% chance of the person dying, while Fate Manipulation is more direct in that they are dying because writing in the book changes their fate to die in whatever manner is written.

@Monarch Laciel: Fate Manipulation comes in two types though, possibility manipulation and causality manipulation.

Since this is the former listing just fate manipulation is less specific than necessary.

And making it so that there is a 100% chance of the person dying (if possible) is the same thing as giving them in inevitable fate to die (if possible). Probability is just the mechanism through which fate manipulation is archieved in this case (with causality being the alternative).

I think we should only list this as fate manipulation, if it were at some point mentioned to change their fate. If it isn't probability manipulation is the better choice due to being clearer.

I think that DontTalk seems to make sense.

Back