• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DCEU Ares scaling problems

No it doesn't, she's just complaining that she isn't worshipped. Nothing implies she's weaker because of it.

Zeus + Ares + Artemis + Green Lanterns at the minimum were needed to take down Steppenwolf. Wonder Woman defeating Ares by redirecting his power at him doesn't contradict that.

@Matt

You didn't read the part where they turned against them and sealed them because they didn't worship them did you?

I'm not finished the movie, i'll find some more stuff.

Also they did that not just because of Stepp, it's because there is also a massive army invading Earth. Did you also forget about how Zeus and Ares stomped him when working together?

Matthew Schroeder said:
No it doesn't, she's just complaining that she isn't worshipped. Nothing implies she's weaker because of it.

Zeus + Ares + Artemis + Green Lanterns at the minimum were needed to take down Steppenwolf. Wonder Woman defeating Ares by redirecting his power at him doesn't contradict that.
Actually, there was an army of Parademons.

And also WW was just straight up stomping Ares for the whole time when she was Awakened (Regardless of the Thunderbolt to say he wasnt stomped is dumb)

I think that Matthew rejected this.

Antvasima said:
Well, if Matthew and The Everlasting disagree, perhaps we should close this?
Ehm no.

This is a thread to solve this scaling problem caused by stubborn people who simply won't accept the majority's opinion.

Then those stubborn people should give us a way to solve the scaling problem if they don't accept ares is weaker.

Well, I am personally neutral about the issue, as I do not know enough to make a judgement call.

How so contradicted? Be specific, you're being as unspecific as Schroeder.

While you do not accept "headcanon" that Ares was weakened, I do not accept a mucked-up scaling.

Because Ares uses the phrases of him being weakened in the past tense. Which makes sense considering how it was 5,000+ years ago.

We don't need to rationalize everything in fiction. If scaling is inconsistent, we move on.

There are only six solutions I see.

1. Ares is weaker Oh wait this isn't going to be applied, Matthew Schroeder rules Marvel and DC

2. Ares was amped, as ByAsura said Oh wait Matthew rejected this too, RIP

3. WW fighting Ares is PIS

4. Ares fighting Zeus is PIS

5. Zeus fighting Steppenwolf is PIS

6. Steppenwolf fighting Wonder Woman is PIS

@The Everlasting I'm not even talking about that statement, lol. Did you even read?

Read my arguments actually and not just assume every guy who thinks Ares is weaker uses the same argument.

Thing is, the scaling can be solved by Ares being weaker, it's also consistent with the plot and Ares's appearance.

I am now neutral on this, however there's just one thing i'd like to mention.

@Ever

Ares does not say he was weakened in the past tense, Ares said he was too weak to stop the humans as a past tense.

Please try to stay calm, patient, and polite. We have higher standards placed upon us as staff members.

It can be hard, I know, especially for myself, given the extreme workload that puts a severe strain on my mind at times, but we still have to try.

1. Headcanon with no evidence.

2. Headcanon with no evidence.

I'm proposing the simple solution that we disregard Ares and Zeus vs. Steppenwolf because it messes with scaling, especially when it's not a crux of the plot like the other fights. I repeat, we don't need to rationalize everything, just accept that it's inconsistent and move on.

Also if we wanna go the route of headcanon it could just as easily be argued that Steppenwolf got stronger because it's, again, been several thousand years.

"Read my arguments actually and not just assume every guy who thinks Ares is weaker uses the same argument."

What other argument is there for such an idea?

I have given up trying to convince a man who simply wouldn't accept what is consistent. I'm trying to let them solve the problem if they won't accept our solution, and not just ignore the scaling problem WHEN IT CAN BE SOLVED.

The Everlasting said:
1. Headcanon with no evidence.

2. Headcanon with no evidence.

I'm proposing the simple solution that we disregard Ares and Zeus vs. Steppenwolf because it messes with scaling, especially when it's not a crux of the plot like the other fights. I repeat, we don't need to rationalize everything, just accept that it's inconsistent and move on.

Also if we wanna go the route of headcanon it could just as easily be argued that Steppenwolf got stronger because it's, again, been several thousand years.

"Read my arguments actually and not just assume every guy who thinks Ares is weaker uses the same argument."

What other argument is there for such an idea?
Steppenwolf getting stronger, is headcanon with no evidence as well.

And if you didn't even read what I say, DO NOT ASSUME.

"Thing is, the scaling can be solved by Ares being weaker, it's also consistent with the plot and Ares's appearance."

Except how?

"Steppenwolf getting stronger, is headcanon with no evidence as well."

That's why I said "if we wanna go the route of headcanon". I'm not using it as an actual argument.

"And if you didn't even read what I say, DO NOT ASSUME."

And you're not just explaining what you said to me because...?

Let me ask this.

What, in the actual movie, directly states/shows/strongly implies that Ares was weakened? No assumptions, no headcanon, just direct showings/statements.

Ok, here you go.

1. Scaling consistency: Explained above. Wonder Woman overpowered Ares, when Ares could fight Zeus.

2. Plot consistency: Ares needed Wonder Woman's help to wipe out humanity.

3. Appearance consistency (weakest argument): Ares was much larger when fighting Steppenwolf.

I would appreciate if everybody would please attempt to calm down. Nothing is gained from getting upset.

@Spino

Consistency in scaling is not an actual argument relating to the movie itself saying something - in this case, saying Ares was weakened.

Ares needing Wonder Woman's help could mean many things - hell it could simply be him attempting to manipulate Wonder Woman, not that he's weaker.

That just means Ares can size shift. That's it.

@Ant

I apologize. I'm still a bit grouchy from having just woken up.

Then how did Wonder Woman overpower Ares?

And it explains why Ares needed conflict at all. Why the heck would Ares want to manipulate Wonder Woman, when he's far stronger?

I already said "weakest argument", ignore that.

Btw, I GIVE UP trying to convince you two Ares was weaker. Just solve the problem.

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan said:
There are only six solutions I see.

1. Ares is weaker Oh wait this isn't going to be applied, Matthew Schroeder rules Marvel and DC

2. Ares was amped, as ByAsura said Oh wait Matthew rejected this too, RIP

3. WW fighting Ares is PIS

4. Ares fighting Zeus is PIS

5. Zeus fighting Steppenwolf is PIS

6. Steppenwolf fighting Wonder Woman is PIS
Choose one, I suppose it doesn't matter whether it makes sense or not. The Everlasting doesn't care about scaling consistency after all. That's all I have to say. I'm going to bed. Goodnight.

@The Everlasting

No problem. I know the feeling. I and Ryukama argued for at least 5 hours earlier today, which isn't exactly healthy for me given how much I have to work in addition to that.

(Mind you, I greatly appreciate Ryukama, but I don't agree with him at all about this issue.)

@Spino

Ever has tried to calm down now. I would appreciate if you do the same. Thank you.

This thread is going absolute nowhere, and once again I agree with the Everlasting. Spin's opinion is based on nothing but his headcanon, and re refuses to stop bringing it up. This is like, the 6th Ares thread he makes.

No evidence that Ares was weaker other than "he looks smaller". No evidence that Ares is empowered by war, that's a comic thing that was not brought up in the movies. No evidence that Zeus + Ares overpowered Steppenwolf. There was a whole pantheon ganging up on him and his forces, plus stuff like Green Lanterns as well (Who he stomped).

The "rationalization" is based on things that never even happened to begin with. Zeus splitting the Mother Boxes is an outlier. Period. Accept and move on.

Back